View Diary: Morning Open Thread: Seder Dinner at the White House and Easter Egg Roll Poster Winner (55 comments)

•  Is that top piece all one piece of wood (4+ / 0-)

or are the irregular rings separate?  On first glance I thought it was an awl, but no awl would have a handle that fancy.  Also an awl has a point, much like an icepick.  What is the very end. Could you post a real closeup of the pointy end?

I also see something that looks like beads near the big end.  What are they?  Does the top part rotate in some way? The beads look almost like they are serving as ball bearings.  Also notice the top round insert has bright colored dots. What are they--is that paint, beads or some kind of little stones?

I am sending a note to shortfinals.  He is a former museum curator and a walking encyclopedia of the esoteric.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand. - Sun Tzu

by Otteray Scribe on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 05:28:56 AM PDT

•  I'll answer what I can and then try to get (4+ / 0-)

better photos for you.

The top piece (the very tip) is ivory colored and is a single piece glued onto the piece.  The rest of the piece is one single piece of wood including the loose rings towards the bottom.

It does not rotate at all

The bottom of the piece has several "separaters" of the same ivory colored material as the top.

Looking straight on at the bottom (last photo) there are 7 inserted tiny balls of the same ivory colored material then the ring is also of the same ivory colored material.  There are holes along the ring and shiny red or blue material inside the holes.

I will attempt to get a better shot, but my SLR camera will not take an extreme close up shot - well, maybe it does, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Hadn't thought about shortfinals.  Bet he'd know for sure.  Was hoping aeou would stop in and see it too.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 05:51:40 AM PDT

•  Here are new photos (3+ / 0-)
      Aunt Pat, Otteray Scribe, myboo

Don't know if they'll help...

photo P1040842.jpg

photo P1040843.jpg

photo P1040844.jpg

by JaxDem on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 06:11:07 AM PDT

•  After further research, (1+ / 0-)
        JaxDem

I think it probably is a drop spindle. However, it does not look like it is really made to use, and shows no obvious signs of wear. The piece at the bottom looks like real ivory, and would have served as a bearing.  The top is too fancy to be practical for real use.  I think it was made to be a decorative item, and should be considered a collectable. Until I did some research just now, I did not know there is a community of spindle collectors out there .

I thought at first the grooves at the top were for some sort of guide for something to ride in them to make the thing move back and forth, but now don't think so. That is wood, and would wear out too quickly. Besides they don't look like they would work as a pulley or track.

I am thinking it is too fancy and too fragile to be used as an industrial spindle. If it were to be used, it would be for light use by a home weaver.

by Otteray Scribe on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 08:08:32 AM PDT

•  The fine carving in the wood (1+ / 0-)
          Otteray Scribe

all along the shaft and the outside edges of the rings and the bottom bowl-like piece have an African look to me.

Those loose rings are part of the whole piece of wood from which the piece is carved - or more correctly, turned.   They fit exactly on  the ridge of the piece above them.

In the middle picture above you can see the top loose ring -- it fits exactly onto the piece just above it from which it was cut.

I still cannot see this being in any way used as a spindle.  It is a puzzlement.

by JaxDem on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 08:23:12 AM PDT

•  I have been looking at pictures off and on (1+ / 0-)
            JaxDem

for almost two hours.  Nothing comes up, and I have used a number of search parameters.  It looked more oriental to me, but also has an Arts & Crafts  feel. Most spindles have a shaft at both top and bottom, even though the one at the whorl end is often little more than a stub.  Some hand spindles have a of whorl designed to fit in the palm of the hand and look like an awl handle. Those have no stub, but there were not many of those.

Despite using a variety of descriptors and combination of key words, I came up empty.  I would think it was a "one-off" piece by some individual artisan, but that little insert at the top is confounding. It looks more factory made; however, woodworkers can buy all kinds of decorative findings and fittings at places such as Woodcraft.

by Otteray Scribe on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 10:50:50 AM PDT