View Diary: Utilities on Solar & Distributed Power "€œIt's a potential threat to us over the long term" (307 comments)

•  Coal (0+ / 0-)

Produces PM10, which is vastly more dangerous than radioactivity.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescindibles.

by Mindful Nature on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:20:43 PM PDT

•  Non Sequitur (0+ / 0-)

I stated that it should take many years to build nuke plants because they're dangerous. You said "the data suggests otherwise". How does a coal plant producing fine particulates suggest that it shouldn't take a long time to build a nuke plant?

You are beating a straw man so unilaterally that your responses don't even make sense anymore. Nobody ever said we should build more coal plants, so stop arguing that we shouldn't.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 08:10:55 AM PDT

•  Two points (0+ / 0-)

The result of blocking nuclear is more coal, from Germany to Japan.  Thus, we need to evaluate compared to that alternative

Second, we need to compare risks to what we already seem acceptable.  Hospitals, cars, and other power plants are all more dangerous in aggregate.

Admittedly I didn't lay that out

by Mindful Nature on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 09:51:28 AM PDT

•  For a study of relative dangers (1+ / 0-)
        Odysseus

New Scientist has a review. coal is roughly three times more dangerous even with Chernobyl included. Natural gas is 50% more deadly.  At 13,000 deaths per year in the US all are dwarfed by cars and guns.  So should we also take decades to build more roads, because if nuclear plants are dangerous, then highways are super super extra dangerous!

by Mindful Nature on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 10:04:21 AM PDT

•  Time for Safety, But Not for False Choices (0+ / 0-)

In fact we should take time, money and effort to reduce those other threats to life and limb. We should build more railroads and many more measures to reduce car accidents. Because we have an alternative. Of course we should also remove the hundreds of millions of guns in this country. I'm for repealing the 2nd Amendment and confiscation, however long it takes - and until then, as much time and effort to reduce guns and their use as it takes.

Likewise we should take the time to build nuke and coal plants that their danger represents. In fact, as I've been saying, we shouldn't even build them. We don't have as many alternatives as we do with car travel, but we have some, which I've explained.

In fact, I've already said all this stuff. You've got an agenda, and you won't drop it. It doesn't matter that you're a million times off base with your comparison of coal to nukes; it doesn't matter that your're in extended overtime arguing a straw man; it doesn't matter that you post non sequitur responses to get back on the track of your agenda. Some lawyer.

But it does matter to me. This discussion is boring, because it's repetitive, nonsensical and I'm not learning anything. Since it doesn't seem you are either, I'm done with it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 02:14:47 PM PDT

•  no, I wouldn't expect you to (0+ / 0-)

I wouldn't expect you to learn anything.

As I pointed out, Fukushima released roughly twenty times as much as the coal industry (which the other guy also ignores) has, not a million.

Too bad you don't take climate change seriously as a threat at all, since that won't wait the decades for your time line, nor will it wait for the theoretical development of new technologies.  I mostly find that the "but wait, there will be better technologies later!" argument just a merely more sophisticated form of denialism.  So, yes, I do have an agenda: combating climate change denialism, whether in hard or soft form.

Facts are stubborn things and the reality is that the risks of nuclear are dramatically less than you've made them out to be (lightning is more dangerous).  I don't hold with making policy based on superstition when there are actual facts to be had.

by Mindful Nature on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 02:37:19 PM PDT

•  One More thing (0+ / 0-)
              Too bad you don't take climate change seriously as a threat at all

I just explained to you that I'm responsible for cutting 20%+ of the energy consumed in thousands of NYC buildings and beyond.

You just explained to me that you're a lawyer doing environmental impact statements, and demonstrated that logic is a stranger to you.

I don't take climate change seriously? Fuck you. Seriously, fuck you and your (supposed) lawyer logic.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 05:29:25 PM PDT

•  Hey (0+ / 0-)

You're the one defending coal and natural gas.

by Mindful Nature on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 05:30:15 PM PDT

•  Look (0+ / 0-)

For all I know you maintain the IT networks, because you have demonstrates little understanding of how energy dispatch and delivery works.  As for logic nearly all your posts have involved insults but nothing in the way of references or serious analysis.  Instead you have presented analysis that simply doesn't hold water at the current moment. You are in no position at all to lecture anyone

by Mindful Nature on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 05:38:57 PM PDT

•  OK, Have Some More (0+ / 0-)

It's not every day that I can continue telling a fool lawyer what a fool they are. Of course several of my posts insulted you: I pointed out that you're a terrible lawyer who's incapable of either logic or shutting up when you're caught making up BS.

You're the one defending coal and natural gas.

I never did any such thing. You have been saying that kind of BS over and over to me in this thread, and it's never been true. I have explicitly condemned coal in response to BS like that from you, but that doesn't stop you from saying it.

You should be disbarred. And shackled to Fukushima, which doesn't give off as many curies as a coal plant, right? What a complete poser you are.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 12:26:32 PM PDT

•  And FYI (0+ / 0-)

That environmental permitting work I do?  It includes getting construction permits for over 2.3 GW nameplate capacity of concentrated solar projects.

by Mindful Nature on Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 05:49:27 PM PDT