View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up (207 comments)

•  Maybe he doesn't hunt every year. Maybe he (9+ / 0-)

doesn't have an arsenal that he needs to keep sighted in.  You are showing your preference for the gun collecting, range shooting, playing with guns type of ownership.  I know plenty of hunters who probably don't shoot more than a dozen rounds a year.  If that.  Some of those friends are outfitters and guides.  Real hunters, who have spent their whole life hunting.  Because it is the sport of hunting they enjoy.  Not the gun having.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 06:08:58 AM PDT

•  Re: (0+ / 0-)

Name one publicly acknowledge "lifelong" hunter that shoots no "more than a dozen rounds a year."  I'm sorry, but I have to call BS on this.  I've largely let pass a bunch of comments and diaries in which the description of hunting is so alien that it can only be explained as a mishmash of common stereotypes and aphorisms.

When God gives you lemons, you find a new god.

by Patrick Costighan on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 06:13:31 AM PDT

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

By the way, I'm not a lifelong hunter.  Neither was my father.  Or my grandparents, for all I know.  Been hunting for all of six years now.  But it seems that everyone on DK and their pet duck who makes the extreme ammunition thrift argument for sportsmanship either grew up hunting or was raised by someone who fed the family with game from right outside.  But this is the first time people have argued that 4 rounds a year (or a dozen rounds a year) is adequate and normal.

When God gives you lemons, you find a new god.

by Patrick Costighan on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 06:19:44 AM PDT

•  Don't you think he was exaggerating to make the (3+ / 0-)

point.  Most likely he means real shots.  Shots aimed at game.  And is comparing it to the number of shots Lanza took when actually aiming at something.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 06:48:14 AM PDT

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating.  Just not sure which direction the truth lies.  It is possible that he's counting only shots for specific game; I've racked up several times as many in six years, but then again I also hunt varmint.

When God gives you lemons, you find a new god.

by Patrick Costighan on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:00:40 AM PDT

•  I've hunted about the same period... (8+ / 0-)

and I'd hazard that I've gone through a good deal less. Maybe 100 shots -- off the range.  I've certainly tested the patterns on an old adjustable choke 12 gauge inherited from a cousin.  I've plinked a lot of targets getting practice with a .22.  I've earned my marksmanship badge knocking down targets with a Remington .22. I've missed an awful lot of skeet.

I don't think the larger caliber handguns or rifles at my house have been fired in twenty years. In fact, I'm sure of it.

I've fired my grandfather's Marlin 1898 at game exactly twenty times. And I've hit game, exactly twenty times. Which is why I'll probably keep the old girl up on the wall from now on. You hate to ruin record like that.

When I was a kid, squirrel, rabbit, and quail made up a fair portion of what was on my plate, but that hasn't been true for probably thirty years. As for big game, I've shot exactly one (1) deer.  That was when I was 14 (I think).  A rifled slug out of that same old Marlin.  I've not had an inclination to do so again.

These days, a hunt is really more of an excuse to stroll around with a shotgun couched under my arm, enjoying an reason to get my boots muddy. If someone has a dog along, all the better. 9 times out of 10, I probably don't shoot at anything. I cheer for other folks' shots and trot out stories of the time I got a double at quail, or recall laying back in a wood to shoot squirrels on a frosty morning. Or waded nee deep snow following beagles trying to roust a few rabbits out of thickets. Last year I didn't shoot a thing, not even a piece of paper.

And I still call myself a hunter.

If the fellow in question had never fired more than 150 shots off the range, I'd believe that easily enough. And I'd believed he enjoyed himself and got as much out of his time hunting as folks who've fired twenty times as often.

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

In which case, I wouldn't call him a "lifelong" hunter except in the narrow sense that he has occasionally hunted over the last forty years.

So the question is does he mean off the range or not?

When God gives you lemons, you find a new god.

by Patrick Costighan on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 08:04:41 AM PDT

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

Some more details, from a twitter exchange with a rude critic of his:

He may be misspeaking, but that reads a lot like an "admission" that he's fired only 154 shots in his life, on or off the range.

When God gives you lemons, you find a new god.

by Patrick Costighan on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 08:15:03 AM PDT

•  I'm not sure why this is so important to you. (3+ / 0-)

But the more you talk the less you seem to know about hunting.  Many people don't hunt every year.  And it sounds like you think hunters can hunt every day of the year.  In fact, in many areas hunting season is limited to just a few weeks in the entire year.  One bout of the flu or bad cold, one important life event, one busy work schedule has knocked many hunters out of hunting for a year.  Again, I think you have some idealized vision of hunting.  Maybe that's why you want verification from a "real life" TV hunter or something.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 11:18:04 AM PDT

•  Right.. Missed in the Discussion (6+ / 0-)

I've a good friend.. he and his wife are both duck hunters.

They are long time members of Ducks Unlimited-- a wetlands conservation group. They get it.

There's a lot to be said for simply being out in nature, going for a walk, getting some exercise and fresh air. I think many hunters get this, which is why a natural benefit/by product of hunting is environmentalism.

"The 1% don't want SOLUTIONS; they've worked very hard the last four decades to get conditions the way they are now".

by Superpole on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 06:59:15 AM PDT

•  My dad was a life time (3+ / 0-)

member of Ducks unlimited, and a duck hunter. He took my brother with him when he was growing up, and when my brother eulogized him he talked about how Dad sounded like a poet describing the joy he took from being out there at dawn, in the quiet of nature, breathing in the air around him. Bringing down a duck wasn't the half of it for him.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 08:25:33 AM PDT

•  Certainly shooting the gun isn't the thrill of it. (4+ / 0-)

I'm not understanding why someone finds it hard to believe that hunters don't want to shoot a lot when hunting.  And I don't understand why this poster finds it so incredible that a hunter would say so.  I guess he thinks deer meat swiss cheesed and liberally sprinkled with lead tastes good.  It really makes you wonder how much of a hunter he is since most hunters I know are the proudest of taking fewest shots.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 11:24:12 AM PDT

•  One shot to the poor squirrel's head (3+ / 0-)
            StellaRay, stellaluna, Avila

this morning from a bb gun took care of the "varmint".  Always does.  methinks ol' Pat up there is a spectacularly bad shot.

And my husband loves to say:  shooting at paper targets is pretty stupid.  Anything you need to shoot is almost always moving :-)

David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 11:40:45 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I think he's one of those guys who like to (2+ / 0-)
              Avila, PsychoSavannah

drag hunters into their gun fantasy world because at least hunting is a recognized use for guns.  While people differ on whether or not it is a legitimate pastime it is at least a use of guns that people accept as OK--if they think hunting is OK.  The problem for guys that love guns but who don't have any legitimate use for them except their nebulous need "when the shit hits the fan"  is they want to super-impose their gun fetish on hunters.  So you get this kind of absolute insistence that hunters must really need all that ammunition and that many guns and that much target practice.  And if you trace this thread all of the way back to the original post that they objected to -- high capacity magazines.  But they don't.  Because "gun having" is not what hunters are all about.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 02:56:06 PM PDT

•  I have a couple of friends who hunt birds (1+ / 0-)
          Avila

Upland and wetland fowl. For them, it's more about a day outside tromping around with the dogs than getting a shot off, though they usually bring in something and either eat it or freeze and refreeze it over and over, using it to train dogs. Their freezer is full of dead birds. I've eaten duck, goose, and pheasant that they've brought down. They also bred and trained my retrievers.

I don't hunt. I can't hit a skeet pigeon to save my life and I'm not about to aim at a live bird until I can take down the clay ones well. I do have a handgun for protection here at home. It has never been shot except at a range, and then only at square, diamond, oval, or round targets, never anything else. Shots I've made for practice at a range: plenty, because I expect tight groupings from myself. Shots I've fired with a borrowed shotgun at the skeet range: less than a hundred, and I can't hit worth a damn. If I want to go bird hunting with my friends, or run a dog in a UKC hunt test, I need to do a lot better than that; my dog will get penalized in the hunt test if I can't shoot well. Shots I have fired off a range: exactly none.

I will admit I'd like to get a good quality shotgun, and I'd like to learn to shoot well with it. Then my dream of running my dog(s) in both field and show can be real. Until then, I'll shoot at things like clay pigeons and paper targets shaped like blocks, things that can't be hurt if I miss.

My desire is to never, ever have to shoot a human being, but as I have already in my life been raped and beaten in my home by a guy who left, then tried to break back in and kill me (and stalked me daily for the seven months leading up to the hearing), feeling like I need a way to protect myself in my home isn't the result of a paranoid fantasy but a lived reality.

Organ donors save lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate.

Why are war casualty counts "American troops" and "others" but never "human beings"?

by Kitsap River on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 04:51:05 PM PDT

• Recommended (143)
  • Community (68)
  • Media (33)
  • Elections (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site