View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up (207 comments)

•  Right.. Missed in the Discussion (6+ / 0-)

I've a good friend.. he and his wife are both duck hunters.

They are long time members of Ducks Unlimited-- a wetlands conservation group. They get it.

There's a lot to be said for simply being out in nature, going for a walk, getting some exercise and fresh air. I think many hunters get this, which is why a natural benefit/by product of hunting is environmentalism.

"The 1% don't want SOLUTIONS; they've worked very hard the last four decades to get conditions the way they are now".

by Superpole on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 06:59:15 AM PDT

•  My dad was a life time (3+ / 0-)

member of Ducks unlimited, and a duck hunter. He took my brother with him when he was growing up, and when my brother eulogized him he talked about how Dad sounded like a poet describing the joy he took from being out there at dawn, in the quiet of nature, breathing in the air around him. Bringing down a duck wasn't the half of it for him.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 08:25:33 AM PDT

•  Certainly shooting the gun isn't the thrill of it. (4+ / 0-)

I'm not understanding why someone finds it hard to believe that hunters don't want to shoot a lot when hunting.  And I don't understand why this poster finds it so incredible that a hunter would say so.  I guess he thinks deer meat swiss cheesed and liberally sprinkled with lead tastes good.  It really makes you wonder how much of a hunter he is since most hunters I know are the proudest of taking fewest shots.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 11:24:12 AM PDT

•  One shot to the poor squirrel's head (3+ / 0-)
          StellaRay, stellaluna, Avila

this morning from a bb gun took care of the "varmint".  Always does.  methinks ol' Pat up there is a spectacularly bad shot.

And my husband loves to say:  shooting at paper targets is pretty stupid.  Anything you need to shoot is almost always moving :-)

David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 11:40:45 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I think he's one of those guys who like to (2+ / 0-)
            Avila, PsychoSavannah

drag hunters into their gun fantasy world because at least hunting is a recognized use for guns.  While people differ on whether or not it is a legitimate pastime it is at least a use of guns that people accept as OK--if they think hunting is OK.  The problem for guys that love guns but who don't have any legitimate use for them except their nebulous need "when the shit hits the fan"  is they want to super-impose their gun fetish on hunters.  So you get this kind of absolute insistence that hunters must really need all that ammunition and that many guns and that much target practice.  And if you trace this thread all of the way back to the original post that they objected to -- high capacity magazines.  But they don't.  Because "gun having" is not what hunters are all about.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 02:56:06 PM PDT

•  I have a couple of friends who hunt birds (1+ / 0-)
        Avila

Upland and wetland fowl. For them, it's more about a day outside tromping around with the dogs than getting a shot off, though they usually bring in something and either eat it or freeze and refreeze it over and over, using it to train dogs. Their freezer is full of dead birds. I've eaten duck, goose, and pheasant that they've brought down. They also bred and trained my retrievers.

I don't hunt. I can't hit a skeet pigeon to save my life and I'm not about to aim at a live bird until I can take down the clay ones well. I do have a handgun for protection here at home. It has never been shot except at a range, and then only at square, diamond, oval, or round targets, never anything else. Shots I've made for practice at a range: plenty, because I expect tight groupings from myself. Shots I've fired with a borrowed shotgun at the skeet range: less than a hundred, and I can't hit worth a damn. If I want to go bird hunting with my friends, or run a dog in a UKC hunt test, I need to do a lot better than that; my dog will get penalized in the hunt test if I can't shoot well. Shots I have fired off a range: exactly none.

I will admit I'd like to get a good quality shotgun, and I'd like to learn to shoot well with it. Then my dream of running my dog(s) in both field and show can be real. Until then, I'll shoot at things like clay pigeons and paper targets shaped like blocks, things that can't be hurt if I miss.

My desire is to never, ever have to shoot a human being, but as I have already in my life been raped and beaten in my home by a guy who left, then tried to break back in and kill me (and stalked me daily for the seven months leading up to the hearing), feeling like I need a way to protect myself in my home isn't the result of a paranoid fantasy but a lived reality.

Organ donors save lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate.

Why are war casualty counts "American troops" and "others" but never "human beings"?

by Kitsap River on Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 04:51:05 PM PDT