View Diary: Discovery of His NRA Membership Instantly Ended Possibility of Me Hiring Independent Contractor (1257 comments)

•  I would not withhold business (49+ / 0-)

with someone who is a member of the NRA, but I would withhold business from a contractor who advertises their membership with the NRA.  The problem, in my mind, is not that this contractor is a member, but rather that he put the sticker on his work vehicle.

I've never understood businesses that advocate politically sensitive topics, whether liberal or conservative.  That's just bad business.

If, in his private life, he is an NRA member...fine.  But once he translates that private support to his business, then everything changes.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 10:56:10 AM PDT

•  Maybe he only has one truck? (10+ / 0-)

What if his work vehicle is his only vehicle?  Do we all have to give up free speech in all aspects of our lives, because people are so damn sensitive?

You're not posting under your real name (neither am I).  And I don't know your line of work, but say your identity became public.  Do you think people should refuse to work with you because you post on a "whacko commie socialist" website?  I promise you there are those who view Daily Kos the same way you view the NRA.  Should posting here cost you your job?

I respect the 1st Amendment far too much to take the view you do.

•  Uh (29+ / 0-)

I don't think you have a clue as to what the 1st amendment means.

I respect the 1st Amendment far too much to take the view you do.
        The first amendment only means the government cannot limit your speech.  It does not protect you from ridicule, it does not mean that people have to agree with it, and it does not mean anybody has to listen.

The contractor has a 1st amendment right to stick damn near any sticker on his private or business vehicle, and I have every right to decide to hire or not hire based on that sticker.

Now, if the Government said he could not put the sticker on the car...then we would be in 1st amendment territory.

by Empty Vessel on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 11:38:41 AM PDT

•  You don't understand the golden rule, do you? (7+ / 0-)

I respect others freedom of speech, because I want my freedom of speech to be respected as well.  I don't want to lose my job over a blog post the way this contractor lost his job over a sticker.

According to you, Republicans have the right to seek out and blacklist every liberal and refuse to do business with them.

My wife has a marriage equality sticker on her car.  I guess she should be turned down at job interviews right?  It's not the gov't saying no....

•  If you post on the company website (10+ / 0-)

any political ramblings, the company has every right (and reason) to fire your ass.  If your wife put a equality sticker on the company car, yup, the company could fire her.

What you do privately is your own business.  You are missing the point...the sticker is on the company car...and I specifically stated that I would not have a problem with an NRA member...only with a business that advertised its NRA affiliation.

Let me phrase this bluntly.  What if a local store had a sign on the door that read "Niggers back to Africa!"  Would you still do business with that company?

by Empty Vessel on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 11:54:47 AM PDT

•  You think that's equivalent? (6+ / 0-)

The truck didn't have an "I shoot niggers" sticker on it.  It didn't have an "I shoot children" sticker.  It had an NRA sticker, which basically translates to "I believe in the 2nd Amendment".

Every elected official is required to swear an oath to defend the Constitution.  I guess you think that means they should all be thrown out of office at that instant, because by defending the 2nd, they're all gun nuts.  And racists too aparently.

And the diary doesn't say it was a company car.  An independent contractor would be driving his private car.

That is such a lie, by your own admission.  You do have a problem with any NRA member who dare announce in public that he is one.  Sounds like you have a huge problem with it, or you wouldn't care about the sticker.
              •  No, the NRA sticker translates to... (14+ / 0-)

I personally choose to belong to an organization that blames the victims of crimes for not being armed, who scapegoats the mentally ill, and opposes any and all restrictions on weapons and any research which might lead to those weapons being restricted.

If he had a 2nd Amendment sticker on the back of his truck... eh, no problem.  I disagree with him, but it's cool.

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 12:08:58 PM PDT

•  Thankyou (10+ / 0-)

You just proved you are full of it.

Your argument has nothing to do with free speech, it only has to do with the fact that you don't care about an NRA sticker but would care about racist speech. If your argument had anything to do with free speech, any speech, including racist speech, would be treated in exactly the same way.

He drives the truck for his business...I choose to make my decisions about businesses how I like...not how you like.  And clearly, you could give less of a hairy shit about the 1st amendment.

by Empty Vessel on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 12:09:57 PM PDT

•  This may be O/T, if so I apologize. (8+ / 0-)

It keeps running through my mind as I read this. My house is surrounded by forest and farmland all of which is open to hunting. I have no problem with hunting and have, in fact, helped a young man with cleaning his squirrels and allow people to walk across our land to get to the hunting areas.

One day 23 years ago, a man marched up to my door, banged on it several times and when I opened it, he was carrying his rifle at his side and aggressively asked me if he could hunt from my yard. I was furious that he didn't have the decency to keep his rifle in his car until he left my doorway. I was furious at his aggressive stance and even more furious when he sullenly slunk away when I said no. I told him I had 4 boys between the ages of 6-9 and I wanted all the hunting to take place in those areas marked for it.

He could have approached me in a civil way and would have gotten much more cooperation from me. He'll, I've been known to make coffee for hunters on really cold days. I couldn't wait to get that asshole off my land.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 02:18:16 PM PDT

•  It means way more than this (6+ / 0-)
                If it only meant that, there wouldn't be a problem. They should just have a sticker that says that.

But a NRA sticker means that they support what the NRA supports. That's a whole 'nother thing.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 02:08:01 PM PDT

•  No, it doesn't. (1+ / 0-)
                  ancblu

But feel free to continue your intellectual laziness.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 06:05:01 PM PDT

•  Why doesn't it? (2+ / 0-)
                    cal2010, Kwik

After all, any organization that a person belongs to is reflective of that person because they belong. What the organization does is supported by the person that belongs to it by paying their dues.

by splashy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 09:41:15 PM PDT

•  People make decisions all the time which stores (20+ / 0-)

to enter.  I won't shop at Walmart unless my life depends on it.

The contractor is a business.  Only the place of goods/services is changed when he comes to your house, rather than you entering his store.

He is still a business.  If a business wants to put up "We hate gays, love guns, and praise god" on their front door, that is their first amendment right.

And it is my right not to give them a dime of my money.

It is my right not to walk through their door, and likewise, not to invite them into my home. Even more so in my own home.

The contractor is a business.  And it takes nothing away from his First Amendment right to announce his affiliations if I will have nothing to do with it.

by YucatanMan on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 11:54:53 AM PDT

•  Right of association is also (10+ / 0-)

guaranteed in the Constitution.  The diarist has the right to hire or not for any reason.

•  Nothing to do with 1st Amendment (10+ / 0-)

If you respect it as much as you say, you may wish to familiarize yourself with where it does and does not apply. No one is infringing this man's right to free speech, least of all Congress or the state. The First Amendment does not protect individuals from social disapproval of their speech, nor does it have anything to do with a customer's choice of whether or not to do business with a company based on that company's speech.

If I had only one vehicle that I had to use as both a work and personal vehicle, I would damn well refrain from putting any politically charged stickers on it. That's not a matter of free speech, that's a matter of basic common sense and an unwillingness to mix politics with work. Anyone who puts a political sticker on a vehicle they use for work is making a clear statement: this is what I believe, and I want everyone I do business with to know it.

Your hypotheticals have nothing to do with any of this.

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.

by Catsy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 12:16:42 PM PDT

•  Money quote: (5+ / 0-)
          Smoh, MRA NY, codairem, Miggles, cal2010
          That's it in a nutshell.

If they don't want people to think they support things like concealed carry, then don't have the sticker.

People, when hiring people to work on their homes, only have a few things to go on. Membership in an organization that promotes something you totally disagree with, and advertising it, can be a deal breaker, because it says other things about that person.

by splashy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 02:11:28 PM PDT