View Diary: Reaping What You Sow: Are White Supremacists Preparing to Fight a new Civil War? (276 comments)

•  That might be a possibility with a draft (0+ / 0-)

where conscripts are from all walks of life and possibly relate more to civil issues.

But when the military is an all-volunteer military, they joined up because that's where they want to be. It seems they'd be much less likely to mutiny and "go over" to the racists' side.

In fact, since there are quite a few minorities, I think the racists would have a real problem on their hands.

by YucatanMan on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 10:36:45 PM PDT

•  Another myth about the US military (6+ / 0-)

The source of this belief about the US military "defecting" during a race war may originate from the myths about the outbreak of the Civil War.  Much has been made about the defections to the Confederacy by members of the US Army.

Fortunately, it's all bullshit.  Of the 15,000 enlisted men in the regular army at the outbreak of the Civil War, 26 defected to the South.  The rank and file were almost completely loyal.

Of the 1,080 officers in the army, 313 joined the South.  Just our bad luck that Lee and several of the best minds to graduate West Point had to be among them.

My personal conclusion:  the US Army always has been and will continue to be overwhelmingly loyal to the United States.  The fantasies of racists are just that, pure fantasy.

Tell me what to write. tellmewhattowrite.com 'To know what is right and to do it are two different things.' - Chushingura, a tale of The Forty-Seven Ronin

by rbird on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:30:00 AM PDT

•  Sorry to harp on the Civil War... (8+ / 0-)

...but another Southern myth that empowers racists should be deflated as well.  There were Unionists in the South who opposed the Confederacy, not only by non-violent actions, but by going north to join the Union Army or forming partisan bands in the South to attack the Confederacy.  22,000 of Lee's fellow Virginians felt so passionately about it, they joined the Union Army.

They saw secession as dangerous, illegitimate, and contrary to the intentions of the Founding Fathers, and believed that the Confederacy could not improve on the United States government. The desire for security was a motivation for Unionist slaveholders, who feared that secession would cause a conflict that would result in the loss of their slaves; however, some stated that they would rather give up slavery than dissolve the union. The Southern ideals of honor, family, and duty were as important to Unionists as to their pro-secession neighbors. They believed, however, that rebelling against the United States, which many of their ancestors had fought for in 1776 and 1812, was the unmanly and dishonorable act.    [emphasis is mine]

by rbird on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:43:02 AM PDT

•  Let's hope the military ethic (2+ / 0-)
        rbird, PavePusher

of loyalty to civilian leadership is never forgotten on a broad scale or we really will have a proportionate problem at home. I agree with you it seems extremely unlikely.

My avatar image is a photograph I took in 2008 of the headwaters of a waterfall in the imperiled Parque Nacional de Garajonay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site on La Gomera, birthplace of my grandfather, in the Canary Islands not far from the Sahara Desert.

by Galtisalie on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:04:48 AM PDT

•  Of course though if the civilian (1+ / 0-)
          PavePusher

leadership is itself of a mind to turn on Americans, the premise possibly won't matter.

by Galtisalie on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:07:11 AM PDT

•  I keep replying to myself I know (1+ / 0-)
            PavePusher

But I do want to make clear that I don't see either the military or its civilian leadership ever endorsing or supporting a race war or war against "libruls" or whatever. We have an imperfect society but it is still far better than that, even on most of the right in America. Sarah Palin types know all the slurs and whistles, but they are not going to lead many to commit murder. That is NOT to say there are not many heinous acts, but they are not the norm. Of course if you are the victim it won't matter that you were the victim of an outlier.

by Galtisalie on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 07:07:12 AM PDT

•  The right wing hate groups (6+ / 0-)

went into the military to learn how to kill and destroy.

A decade after the Pentagon declared a zero-tolerance policy for racist hate groups, recruiting shortfalls caused by the war in Iraq have allowed "large numbers of neo-Nazis and skinhead extremists" to infiltrate the military, according to a watchdog organization.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks racist and right-wing militia groups, estimated that the numbers could run into the thousands, citing interviews with Defense Department investigators and reports and postings on racist Web sites and magazines.

"Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules" John Lennon - Working Class Hero

by Horace Boothroyd III on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:44:23 AM PDT