View Diary: Fort Hood Survivors Denied Purple Heart (29 comments)

•  a fair trial I can see (6+ / 0-)

and given it'll be a UCMJ courts-martial, I'm convinced they'll go to the ends of the earth and beyond for fairness.

I do hope with all my heart that this decision, after the trial, will be revisited -- and the sacrifices of our American servicemembers denied.

Detroitmechworks: thanks for what you do. Be safe.

My kid brother was at Hood before Desert Shield/Storm, when he went to Iraq. He was a diesel mechanic for the Army. He came home from there, moved to Mississippi (I want to live somewhere green and wet, he said) and now works for a bakery.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 04:54:53 PM PDT

•  Used to do. (4+ / 0-)

Got out about 2 1/2 years ago.  (Family Care Plan - Single Father, Honorable Discharge)

I wasn't an 11B... but I was pretty close.  13B.  (I needed the money, and the bonus was NICE.  Wish I hadn't but...)

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:02:59 PM PDT

•  Still, thanks. (3+ / 0-)

I hope you're doing okay now that you're out. My next-door neighbor was there. Some of the guys he'd served with in Iraq were among the people shot.

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:10:35 PM PDT

•  Mostly. (4+ / 0-)

G.I. Bill helps a LOT.  (Barely pays the bills.)

VA's pretty much useless since they keep trying to shovel drugs for conditions I don't have down my throat, instead of actually treating it.

Only thing that really worked for the PTSD was Medical Marijuana for 4 months.  Haven't used it in over a year, and yet, most of my triggers are still pretty dormant.

by detroitmechworks on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:13:03 PM PDT

•  13B? (1+ / 0-)
            detroitmechworks

I was a 13E.

"The next time everyone will pay for it equally, and there won't be any more Chosen Nations, or any Others. Poor bastards all." ~The Boomer Bible

by just another vet on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:16:37 PM PDT

•  What's the sound of Artillery? (3+ / 0-)

Boom, boom...

Move, Shoot, and Communicate...

Boom, Boom...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
              Yeah, I was on an M-109A6 Paladin, but we stowed em almost as soon as we got to Iraq, and I ended up as a M2 gunner on top of an MRAP the entire time I was in country.

Took one hit, no purple heart due to...  regulations...

by detroitmechworks on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:22:08 PM PDT

•  Regulations. (2+ / 0-)
                detroitmechworks, BlackSheep1

Figures.

If my clouded memory serves me my unit had A5s. Oh, and we still ran DR-8 to the guns. Fun.

So, ever have to do a 'boom test' on the barrel?

I never did find that box of grid squares.

by just another vet on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:35:13 PM PDT

•  We actually had a guy find a Chemlight Battery... (1+ / 0-)
                  just another vet

He cut a Chemlight open, pulled out the insert and dropped it on the Sergeants desk saying "Here You Go, Sergeant."

It kinda made sense... but definite points for style.

The one we always did was give the replacements a hammer and tell em to check the armor for soft spots.

by detroitmechworks on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:38:16 PM PDT

•  Luckily (1+ / 0-)
                    BlackSheep1

I never had to do that one. But I may have told a couple of privates to do it. Maybe.

That soldier deserves a medal.

My crowning achievement was getting a new FCO to get on top of the M577, grab a couple of gas cans, and help me with checking the shocks.

by just another vet on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:43:16 PM PDT

• Rescued (17)
  • Economy (17)
  • Science (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Texas (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site