Skip to main content

View Diary: Your Daily Gun (47 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Here's your problem: (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Glen The Plumber, LilithGardener

    If only 30% to 35% of American households own a gun, then the perspective you present in your post is lost on the remaining 65% to 70%.

    So while you may find the ads "hilarious," a majority of the population may find them rational and sane.

    Suggested liberal gun lovers' motto: "More liberal than the NRA on everything except guns."

    by Bob Johnson on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 11:37:00 AM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  So, who's the add really targeting then? (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      ban nock

      That finger-on-the-trigger thing is like a 'secret code' to military/police/anyone with actual training.  Even the low-rent models some firearms manufacturers use to pitch their wares on cable channels (outdoor network, etc) always get it right. The 'booth bunnies' hired for firearms industry events (shot show, etc) always have their finger off the trigger. We see somebody holding their finger off of the trigger, we know they're 'one of us' (or are being marketed to us).   Its really shorthand for 'I know what I"m doing, or am being coached by somebody who does'.

      Non gun owners tend to not get it.

      So this guy in the commercial, sitting on the tailgate of his truck with his finger on the trigger, whos he supposed to be convincing?
      We know he's not 'one of us', so the message is automatically rejected by firearms owners, we see a poseur.
      Urban folks see, more or less, Larry the cable guy.  Rural folks see somebody whos 'all hat, no cattle'.

      I just don't see the add as being effective at anything other then choir preaching, with a lot of possible downside to alienate both rural folks and gun owners.

      A little marketing research can go a long way sometimes, this commercial just comes off as sophomoric.

      •  Bloomberg doesn't need to convince gun owners. (3+ / 0-)

        He needs to convince the folks who don't own guns who have no opinion or who have heard from gun owners that background checks are a bad idea, or that, "We all should have the right to own an assault weapon."

        The problem with folks like you and noway2 is that you can only see things through the lens of being a gun owner. That's not how the rest of the world views these ads.

        They seem like common sense.

        Suggested liberal gun lovers' motto: "More liberal than the NRA on everything except guns."

        by Bob Johnson on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 12:04:05 PM PDT

        [ Parent ]

      •  Bloomberg doesn't need to convince gun owners. (3+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        Glen The Plumber, PSzymeczek, a2nite

        He needs to convince that portion of the 65% to 70% of American households that don't own a gun that things like background checks, a ban on assault weapons and magazine restrictions are good ideas -- despite what their gun-owning friends may tell them.

        To you and folks like noway2, the ad may be "hilarious." But to most people who don;t own a gun, the ad sounds like common sense.

        Your problem is that you see this issue only through the prism of being an avid gun owner. Most people in America aren't like you. They don't own a gun.

        Suggested liberal gun lovers' motto: "More liberal than the NRA on everything except guns."

        by Bob Johnson on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 12:15:05 PM PDT

        [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (122)
  • Community (51)
  • Republicans (34)
  • Environment (33)
  • 2016 (31)
  • Memorial Day (30)
  • Culture (30)
  • Bernie Sanders (26)
  • Elections (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Spam (21)
  • Labor (20)
  • Education (20)
  • GOP (20)
  • Civil Rights (19)
  • Economy (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (17)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Science (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site