View Diary: Senate Rejects Plan to Change Formula to Set (and Lower ) Social Security Benefits (67 comments)

•  Yes, I voted for Obama (14+ / 0-)

Because the alternative was madness.  Having said that, I don't like his priorities, his pathetic negotiating skills, his ridiculous obsession with achieving a flawed, austerity-drenched "grand bargain", and his willingness to constantly turn the other cheek because he wants to appear to be "reasonable". There is no reason in our current state of affairs; there is only extremism and capitulation.

•  Yup. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by YucatanMan on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 11:03:47 PM PDT

•  I think you should retake civics classes (0+ / 0-)

the president, Obama doesn't have the ability to pass legislature. He can reccomend and suggest all he wants at the end of the day it's up to Congress.

As such it's nice to see the senate taking a semi stand on the issue because it really should be the senate and the house negotiating on the issue.

You don't like Obama's 'pathetic negotiating skills'? How about you demand Congress does something that the 300 some democrat congress people take a loud and clear stance that this is not acceptable instead of placing it all on Obama?

Personally I don't think that too unreasonable or too difficult

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am

by duhban on Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 11:45:23 PM PDT

•  They can't cut social security without his (5+ / 0-)

signature, unless you think they can get 67 votes.

"The bucks stops over there somewhere down that way, please just give the President all credit for things you like but deposit all blame elsewhere..." is such a long sign to try to fit on a desk.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:20:45 AM PDT

•  and a bill can not even get to his desk (0+ / 0-)

regardless without passing though Congress

If and I repeat if Obama decided to sign a bill cutting SS then it would on him. Till then it's congress that is where 'the buck stops' and that you do not see that is rather troubling.

In the time that I have been given,
          I am what I am

by duhban on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:58:00 PM PDT

•  I think you should (1+ / 0-)
        scribeboy

get off your fluffy cloud and quit settling for scraps. This is being placed on Mr. Obama because he offered it up in the first place. This is unacceptable.

And I think you meant to try to insult some other poster--the one you responded to never said the President passed laws. Pay attention.

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:36:35 AM PDT

•  As the leader of the Democratic Party (0+ / 0-)

he has enormous influence over Congressional leaders and many ways of twisting arms, including control of an enormous pot of money and veto power; he can stop legislation in its tracks just by making it clear that he will not sign it. That's why Presidents are always credited with and blamed for the legislation passed during their terms of office.

I contact my Senators and Congresswoman about these issues on a regular basis, and the White House not at all because it is clearly futile; the President has amply convinced me that he wants Chained CPI and is willing to cut Medicare benefits. Unfortunately, my representatives seem inclined to go along with it, and I believe it's due to pressure from the White House.

Who will I hold responsible if this gets done? All of them.

I have informed the Democratic Party that I will donate money to primary challengers of Democrats who vote for Chained CPI or any other reduction in benefits.

We decided to move the center farther to the right by starting the whole debate from a far-right position to begin with. - Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay

by denise b on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:22:49 PM PDT