View Diary: Senate Rejects Plan to Change Formula to Set (and Lower ) Social Security Benefits (67 comments)

•  The President can't control whether the President (4+ / 0-)
    allenjo, 3goldens, lunachickie, PhilJD

proposes cuts to Social Security.

Everyone knows that.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:21:53 AM PDT

•  the president could propose (0+ / 0-)

that we should all paint ourselves purple and swear alligance to the great pizza god

It would mean about as much as anything else that he is proposing.

Congress is where bills get passed.

Everyone should know that but then education has been slipping for a while

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am

by duhban on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:53:15 PM PDT

•  It's a wonder (1+ / 0-)
        JesseCW

that we even care who is President, they're so helpless.

The reason Chained CPI is on the table is that the President put it there. He wants it. That's why he appointed the Catfood Commission. This is his baby.

I do put it on Congress. I will hold them responsible if it happens. But I don't think we would be in danger of it happening without him pushing it.

Obama's a lame duck anyway. He didn't care about the opinions of progressives when he was facing an election - he certainly doesn't care now. I'm advising everyone to focus on Congress and forget about calling the White House. Its ears are closed to us.

We decided to move the center farther to the right by starting the whole debate from a far-right position to begin with. - Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay

by denise b on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:31:04 PM PDT

•  that's a lovely strawman (0+ / 0-)

wake me when you have something of substance

In the time that I have been given,
          I am what I am

by duhban on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 07:22:41 PM PDT

•  I don't even know (0+ / 0-)

what you're talking about.  I wasn't even arguing any point - merely expressing my opinion that I hold all of them accountable but am focusing my own efforts on Congress which I believe is still open to pressure on this issue.

Where's the strawman? If your point was that Congress is accountable then I was agreeing with you. Or did you want people to completely absolve the White House?

by denise b on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 01:44:03 PM PDT

•  pretty much most of your comment (0+ / 0-)

is a strawman

Obama might be willing to concede on chained CPI but it's not 'his idea' any more then the sequester was or the monsato rider was. But that never stops the 'critics' from buying into the GOP's lies

That said I agree we need to concentrate on Congress because while I do think the Tea Party utterly insane they have driven their party better then we have but that's only becuase they are unified and turn out.

In the time that I have been given,
              I am what I am

by duhban on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 03:51:52 PM PDT

•  Congress has 535 hands in the Presidents backside (0+ / 0-)

making him move his jaws.

Everyone should know that.

by JesseCW on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 08:40:23 PM PDT

•  why is it you can't actually respond to the (0+ / 0-)

points being made?

Is it because you can't so you resort to juvenile tactics? That's what it looks like to me

In the time that I have been given,

• Culture (41)
  • Republicans (40)
  • Hillary Clinton (34)
  • Climate Change (33)
  • Media (33)
  • Education (32)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (29)
  • Labor (28)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Law (25)
  • Congress (25)
  • Science (24)
  • Spam (24)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site