View Diary: How Airliners Work - Wings and Stuff (67 comments)

•  V12 Jaguar? (5+ / 0-)

Tom Cruise had a Kawasaki ZX-9 Ninja:  0-60 mph in 2.8 secs with 4-5 gears to go depending upon preference. Tom Cruise also go better gas mileage.

Great diaries. Anything coming on forward swept wings or lifting bodies?

•  It was a beautiful car (7+ / 0-)

And every bit as troublesome as you've been led to believe.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 12:04:57 PM PDT

•  Cork on the valves? /nt (0+ / 0-)

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
        I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
        —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 01:11:04 PM PDT

•  Electrics mostly (1+ / 0-)
          polecat

Every few months the "Check Engine" light would come on for some sensor or other and I'd end up writing a $500 check to somebody to fix it.

I usually planned on spending $500 every time I walked into the repair shop.

by Major Kong on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:14:20 PM PDT

•  and worth every bit of the trouble (1+ / 0-)
        Simplify

for the purpose you undertook in acquisition, no? :)

I'll come beg shamelessly again, Major. Since you're giving master-level classes could you do one on fuels?

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 01:21:56 PM PDT

•  What kind of fuels? (1+ / 0-)
          BlackSheep1

Aviation?

by Major Kong on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:12:52 PM PDT

•  Yes, sir. I had in mind (1+ / 0-)
            Simplify

particularly the different JPs and how they compare to diesel and/or avgas, and which ones can, in a pinch, be subbed in (I'm remembering a TO reference for diesel and B-52s).

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:24:37 PM PDT

•  I think I can do that (1+ / 0-)
              BlackSheep1

I still have my old B-52 and tanker manuals.

by Major Kong on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:36:17 PM PDT