View Diary: Mark Sanford Prepares to Run Against Stephen Colbert (44 comments)

•  Sanford is writing Colbert's copy (19+ / 0-)

Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford (R) on Monday admitted that he had eaten two baby pigs after using them as props to make a point about wasteful government spending.

After the Republican-controlled South Carolina legislature quickly overrode two of his budget vetoes in 2004, Sanford had walked into the Statehouse carrying two pigs — named “Pork” and “Barrel” — under his arms.

“I think it’s important to have a sense of humor at the same time that you’re making what I think is a serious point about at least limiting pork barrel spending long enough to pay off this unconstitutional deficit,” the then-governor said at the time.

“Unfortunately, they were barbecued,” Sanford revealed. “They were great little guys. I hate to let you in on it.”

Following in the hoof prints of  Ham Rove, imagine what Stephen will do with this.

Sanford's foot in mouth disease is apparently very difficult to cure.

If cats could blog, they wouldn't

by crystal eyes on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 07:53:24 AM PDT

•  Thanks for the link...pic says a thousand words (7+ / 0-)

What is it about GOPer Governors and their animal cruelty issues?

When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day? George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 08:13:14 AM PDT

•  Eating pigs is animal cruelty? (4+ / 0-)
        roberb7, mmacdDE, Bill W, SilentBrook

Please do not report me to ASPCA then.

I have committed this type of animal cruelty countless times in my life and at the moment am shamed to confess I have a huge chunk of one of these innocent animal's shoulders sitting in a ziplock bag in the back my refrigerator marinating in sweet Blackberry-Chipotle sauce.

Unless forcibly blocked by proper authorities, I plan on committing unspeakable acts of cruelty on this 2½-lb of deliciousness this weekend involving the deliberately drawn out agony of a slow-cooker.

I am unrepentant.  I will commit this act again in the future.  I can not, and will not, stop myself.

..and I dont even live in the state of N. Carolina where pork barbecue is a near-sacred tradition.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 08:58:46 AM PDT

•  Point taken... (1+ / 0-)
          SilentBrook

I'm an animal welfare advocate and a vegetarian, so what I consider inhumane and insensitive is another POV...different from yours apparently.  And I'm equally as unrepentant.

There is something fairly creepy about a governor using baby pigs as a prop which he later consumes as dinner. It's not that far from a future governor stuffing his dog into an air tight carrier and strapping it on the top of his car.

That Blackberry-Chipotle marinade does sound yummy.

by msmacgyver on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 10:35:25 AM PDT

•  people here loved that stunt..... (5+ / 0-)

and it was funny.

BBQ is the state food, I think, so eating the pigs is not a big deal :-)

David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 08:19:18 AM PDT

•  Sanford is both a cheater and baby (pig) eater (3+ / 0-)
        TomP, elwior, SilentBrook

....in the battle for the female voter, he comes off as insensitive.

“You’re going to make me cry because I love pigs,” Brzezinski replied.

If cats could blog, they wouldn't

by crystal eyes on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 08:33:18 AM PDT

•  I can condemn Sanford for a lot of things (2+ / 0-)
        roberb7, mmacdDE

...but if I had access to fresh baby pigs in the middle of one of the best pork barbecue states in the country...  MMMmmmmmm.....

....yeah, let's just say I don't see that being a vote-loser for the guy.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 09:00:50 AM PDT

•  My mother's side (1+ / 0-)
        PsychoSavannah

of the family have for many generations been plowing So. Carolina dirt.  The state divides into four quads defined by the by the type of sauce or rub that's used -but they all use pig.   I have to admit all quarters make me drool.

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them. Isaac Asimov (8.25 / -5.64}

by carver on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 09:20:48 AM PDT

•  I wonder how much (0+ / 0-)

Stephen can venture into So. Carolina politics before election financing raises its head.

by carver on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 09:02:19 AM PDT

•  He doesn't really have to (2+ / 0-)
        TheDuckManCometh, SilentBrook

He could just review ads for his sister, or allow her to hire some of his writers for a while.

And the race will be in the news - you know he'll mention it. I can't see that as being a problem, he has a news satire show. He'd skewer the race even if she lost. He doesn't hide the fact that she's his sister, nor his bias for her.

If Sanford makes a big deal about it, I'm sure Stephen would love to have him as a guest. Hell, he might even be willing to moderate a debate.

That would be AWESOME.

•  I wonder (1+ / 0-)
        PeterHug

how much his super-PAC has left.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 10:34:23 AM PDT

•  Nothing. (1+ / 0-)
          trumpeter

He said he gave it all to charity.

Of course. Stephen Colbert is a good republican pundit. So that money probably sipping Mai Tais in the Cayman Islands right now.