View Diary: North Carolina state religion bill is officially dead (148 comments)

•  Writing yes, cursive not necessary. (17+ / 0-)

Disclaimer: learning specialist here

Writing absolutely helps learning. That writing need not be cursive. I outlined every chapter I read through four years of college and five years of graduate school. Never once formed a cursive letter.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 07:57:23 AM PDT

•  But shouldn't we give them the tools (9+ / 0-)

to choose from?  I find it faster to write in cursive.  Some people don't.  If I hadn't learned to do cursive (and it took me years to decide to write in cursive primarily; preferred script for several years, as I can tell from journals I kept in school), I wouldn't have the choice which to use, and it might have kept my note taking slower.  Or it might not.  The point is school is where we learn all sorts of things and we don't know whether or when we will apply such things to our lives.

•  I don't care much how they write. (6+ / 0-)

My concern is that they be able to read cursive fluently. Original documents, old family records, etc.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 09:47:34 AM PDT

•  I gave up on cursive for everything but my (1+ / 0-)
        OldDragon

signature many years ago.  People have to learn how to sign their name, even now, so I think people should at least be taught the basics of cursive so they can write their signature and read at a basic level.

•  Legibility and spelling (0+ / 0-)

Are far more important, IMHO.

The prettiest, frilliest, swooshiest cursive in the world won't help if the speling iz inkorrekt.  Though I guess if someone's going to do it wrong, at least it's done with style...

(btw, before the hardcore spelling Nazis show up, yes, I know perfectly well "speling iz inkorrekt" is spelled incorrectly.  It's humor.  It happens on the internet. Deal with it.)

And if it's too pretty and frilly, it may not be readable.

I'd rather read very legible block letters with correct spelling than the smoothest cursive with spelling worse than a five-year-olds.

•  Never once? (2+ / 0-)
      The Marti, dewtx

How do you sign your name?

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 09:59:52 AM PDT

•  For many of us, (2+ / 0-)
        ColoTim, FarWestGirl

the answer is "illegibly".

I don't need cursive for that.

•  My students don't use it. (6+ / 0-)

They all sign their names by printing them. The first time I saw that, I asked the kid to "actually sign" (meaning "in cursive") and he looked at me like I'd lost my mind. That's when I discovered that no child in the class could write and very few could read cursive.

None of them ever learned cursive in school and don't know what to do with it when they see it. Since one of the things I teach is history, this can be more problematic than you might think. I can't often use original documents (or images of them, more accurately) as they exist, but must transcript them. These kids have no direct, unmediated access to the materials of history.

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory, tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. Sun Tzu The Art of War

by Stwriley on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 11:52:56 AM PDT

•  Wow. I had no idea that was the case. I know my (1+ / 0-)
          Stwriley

kids were taught cursive in school twenty years ago. I haven't kept up since. They don't use it much, but at least they can read it.

•  Yes -- I was thinking: What about the (3+ / 0-)
          Munchkn, annetteboardman, Stwriley

Declaration of Independence?  The Constitution?

I wonder why this is happening?  Is it the continual pressure to teach more than is possible in a given year, and to teach to tests?

Smoh says writing does help learning.  ANd I know there are times when I get off my keyboard and write whatever draft I'm working on, because it helps me to formulate my thoughts.

But if people can only write by printing -- and cursive is faster, I believe -- wasn't that what it was developed for? -- then it seems clear that most students will use a laptop or whatever lets them type.

I'm doubting that this is a good decision for schools.

--------------------- “These are troubling times. Corporation are treated like people. People are treated like things. …And if we ever needed to vote, we sure do need to vote now.” -- Rev. Dr. William J. Barber

by Fiona West on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 01:53:54 PM PDT

•  Time pressure and other factors... (0+ / 0-)

especially increased class size and teaching to tests (even in grade school) have made teaching things like cursive writing a luxury. If you go to a good suburban school or a private school, you'll probably still learn it these days, but if you go to a school in a less affluent setting and are under the thumb of "school reform" as it is now practiced then it's printing and keyboarding that you'll be taught.

It is a bad thing, both because it decreases writing speed and because it makes too much of our history inaccessible in its original form. I think it's a poor decision too, not only for our schools but for our democracy ni general.

by Stwriley on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 05:42:52 AM PDT