View Diary: North Carolina state religion bill is officially dead (148 comments)

•  Learning cursive in 3rd grade was a right of (0+ / 0-)

passage, one we all looked forward to.

Now, I don't know anyone save grandparents writing in cards that use cursive anymore. Do they even teach it in public schools still? I stopped using it when I began to write all my papers on the computer, and never run into it in the business world.

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 08:35:03 AM PDT

•  Not exactly true. How many times have you (2+ / 0-)
      trumpeter, Munchkn

been asked for a signature?  They don't usually want it printed.  Sometimes legal documents, contracts, or forms ask for both, a signature, then a printed version of your name.

In the time it took Adam Lanza to reload, eleven children escaped. What if...

by Sixty Something on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 08:50:12 AM PDT

•  I wouldn't call a signature formal cursive. (0+ / 0-)

Sometimes it's not even legible, and on purpose.

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 08:52:24 AM PDT

•  Maybe there's a difference between (2+ / 0-)
          Sparhawk, GoGoGoEverton

school cursive and adult cursive.  I was confused when, as a kid (grade 3 or so), I labored long and hard to master the precise loops and connections (and yet still was often marked down by the teacher for them not being slanted enough or whatever), and yet saw my father and other adults regularly sign their names in a way that was completely illegible to me and unlike any writing I was ever taught.  When, I wondered, are adults taught to write like that?

In this day and age, it seems to me that extensive handwriting practice of whatever sort is becoming increasingly outmoded.

37, MD-8 (MD-6 after 2012) resident, NOVA raised, Euro/Anglophile Democrat

by Mike in MD on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 10:41:12 AM PDT

•  Why bother? (0+ / 0-)

Once a student has mastered print writing, cursive seems pointless to me.

Remember, you're trading off reading, math, science, or some other instruction to teach the "skill" of cursive writing.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
            Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 10:47:16 AM PDT

•  Adults have the freedom to write as they wish (0+ / 0-)

They are not being graded on it anymore.  I think that accounts for the greater creativity in their writing.

I had to relearn how to write following a mild stroke last year.  My wriiting is almost as good as it was although it is not as quite as fast.  I did make out the check I cashed at the bank today as I find it difficult to do it sitting in my car.  I also wrote out a deposit slip at another bank when I deposited money in my daughter's account.  I used cursive for the check and printing for the deposit slip.

Writing is a real joy after not being able to for a while.

It's fun to watch some old clips of What's My Line on youtube and watch the Mystery Guests sign in.

•  I HATED cursive when I was in school (1+ / 0-)
      GoGoGoEverton

Here I am laboriously tracing out these hieroglyphics with their loops and extra strokes and running out of time to do my work, while teachers all kept insisting how much faster it was to write, and that I was just lazy.  Regular D'Nealian was slow enough.

It was years before I finally stopped drawing letters as they were given on the banner above the whiteboard and actually started writing.

•  My writing often starts with print capital letters (0+ / 0-)

and then evolves into semi-cursive with the lowercase letters connected; this is probably because I'm simply too lazy to lift my pen or pencil on or off the paper.

Otherwise, it's straightforward (if slanted) print or a scribble-cursive signature.  I recently looked at the full cursive alphabet and was surprised at all the letters I had forgotten about, including the curlicued Z, the Q which looks like a 2 with loops, and the G which I have lately seen only on General Mills cereal boxes.

37, MD-8 (MD-6 after 2012) resident, NOVA raised, Euro/Anglophile Democrat

• Rescued (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Environment (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Texas (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site