View Diary: I agree with my Senator on this. (280 comments)

•  I got an e-mail from DFA to sign a (5+ / 0-)

petition to "tell President Obama you don't have his back on this.
    Sign our petition to stop big cuts to Social Security right now."

Link: http://democracyforamerica.com/...

Please sign it people, it's the least we can do: express our opposition to this travesty. I don't care if the President means it or not, it should not be under discussion AT ALL!

„Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.“ - Bertolt Brecht

by translatorpro on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:16:19 PM PDT

•  The President has read the polls. He knows (4+ / 0-)
      AoT, k9disc, jeopardydd, kovie

that the public and his base bother overwhelmingly oppose this.

He's doing this anyway.

What's the point of pleading?

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 04:15:07 PM PDT

•  You can give up if you want, but I'll keep trying (0+ / 0-)

to do what I can from across the pond.

by translatorpro on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 04:19:35 PM PDT

•  By the way, my sig line says it all for me: (1+ / 0-)
          k9disc

"Those who fight can lose. But those who don't fight have already lost." I think it's a very good motto for me.

by translatorpro on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 04:21:57 PM PDT

•  The fight is at the ballot box (0+ / 0-)

It's pretty clear that he doesn't care that the country doesn't want it. Letting him know the country doesn't want it won't help because he doesn't think we will stay home on Election Day because of the mean republicans

•  Obviously, feel free to do and think as you please (0+ / 0-)

and I will do what I think is right for me without lecturing others. As an expat I cannot phonebank, knock on doors, or whatever else good citizens do, so my options are very limited.

by translatorpro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 01:28:50 AM PDT

•  I won't be giving up. But I also won't be (0+ / 0-)

spending time telling politicians things they already know, or fooling myself into thinking my opinions are important to them.

They don't give a shit what you think or feel.  They only care what you're going to do about.

by JesseCW on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 04:25:45 PM PDT

•  He's looking years down the line (0+ / 0-)

When he believes he'll be vindicated as having done the right thing under very difficult conditions and with the opposition of his own side. He appears to believe that because many reforms that ended up being very popular were unpopular at the time, it follows that all unpopular reforms will therefore be popular in time, a common and quite obvious logical fallacy that a Harvard-educated lawyer like him should know better than to subscribe to.

He's out to lunch.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 07:33:11 PM PDT

•  I have no idea what he's thinking, because I'm (0+ / 0-)

not clairvoyant. Nice to know there are many here who have that talent.

by translatorpro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 01:35:25 AM PDT

•  But you're willing to give him the benefit of (1+ / 0-)
            JesseCW

the doubt nonetheless. How's that been working out for you?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:24:03 AM PDT

•  Dude, I live in Europe and there are many (0+ / 0-)

reasons why I may never go back to the US. Pres. Obama is not one of them. The US is so totally screwed up, that it's going to take a lot more than one President to sort things out, if it ever happens at all. Not that it's all roses here, either, but Europe didn't have nearly as far to fall as the US did.

by translatorpro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 07:43:26 AM PDT

•  Non-sequitor response (1+ / 0-)
                JesseCW

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 08:03:13 AM PDT

•  Not really. I'm just saying I'm not (0+ / 0-)

directly affected by what the President does or doesn't do, which is the answer to your Palinesque question. I'm doing just fine where I am, and am quite content with my situation, thanks for asking. And with that I'm leaving this thread. Have a nice day bitching and moaning and doing nothing to change anything. Just don't bore me with the details.

by translatorpro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 09:06:01 AM PDT

•  Exactly what I thought (0+ / 0-)

This is all theoretical for you, both because you don't live here and because you're doing ok for yourself. Typical of those who support his neoliberal and regressive policies. Hey, cut entitlements all you want--it won't affect ME.

And typical with the "I can't control the discussion so I'm OUTTA HERE!".

You betcha!

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 09:17:33 AM PDT

•  SS was hugely popular, nearly 80% support at the (0+ / 0-)

time.  Medicare was over 70%.

Most of the reforms that ended up being popular and standing the test of time were popular when passed.

by JesseCW on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 05:00:01 AM PDT

• Education (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Spam (21)
  • GOP (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Rescued (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site