View Diary: Chris Matthews wonders if women really worry about violence against women (81 comments)

•  My take on this was a little different than how (11+ / 0-)

most seem to be taking it.

The impression I received was that Chris Matthews was asking a genuine question.."Is this issue still a priority for female voters?".

When I watched the section I actually paused after Mitchell's response and thought "You know, I'm not hearing about this as much as I used to, locally or nationally. Another example of women losing ground to the GOP agenda".

I wasn't offended by the question. To me it was simply a reminder that there is a genuine war on women by the GOP, to lessen on voices, to keep us quiet, and we have to double efforts to make sure those voices stay raised and we make ourselves heard.

But I managed to be called a troll and told to "piss off" here in the last 24 hours so I could just be a lost cause :)

Wonders are many, but none so wonderful as man.

by Morgan Sandlin on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 02:18:38 PM PDT

•  You know, you might be right, (8+ / 0-)

however the way he did it comes across as insensitive, if you ask me.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 02:20:11 PM PDT

•  If he had said "This isn't an issue" I would have (5+ / 0-)

been offended...but after seeing the exchange on the television I actually went to my phone book to see what resources were available to women in need in our new community.

It made me think..in a good way.

Its one of those things that can be an either/or I guess. Though there is a resource center here that helps women in crisis that will receive support from my husband and I that I would not have been aware of if Matthew's hadn't asked the question.

I guess "out of lemons..." and all that.

Wonders are many, but none so wonderful as man.

by Morgan Sandlin on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 02:32:37 PM PDT

•  That's how I took it as well. He's a horse race (3+ / 0-)
      davehouck, Morgan Sandlin, shanesnana

kind of commentator, and his question - a legitimate one - is whether or not Biden's support for VAWA could pull women away from supporting a Clinton candidacy?

Inartfully said but, imho, all smoke, no fire.

Then again, talking seriously about 2016 today is a little bit stupid, but that's a separate question ;p.

"The first drawback of anger is that it destroys your inner peace; the second is that it distorts your view of reality. If you come to understand that anger is really unhelpful, you can begin to distance yourself from anger." - The Dalai Lama

by auron renouille on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 02:59:06 PM PDT

•  My favorite bit in the clip ... (3+ / 0-)

... is when Mitchell said "my 95 year old mother is ready for Hillary".  Yes, talking seriously about 2016 is a little silly; but it has been way past time for us to have a woman as president, and I have to admit that the talk about Hillary being the favorite for 2016 makes me feel good and makes me hopeful that it will finally happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Love one another

by davehouck on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 03:41:48 PM PDT

•  I don't see another Obama rising up out of the (3+ / 0-)
          davehouck, Morgan Sandlin, miracle11

Democrat bench to upset Hillary this time.   The other Democrats angling for the job now (Biden, O'Malley, et al) really seem to be staying in the game in the event Hillary drops out.

I do expect we'll have a woman President in 2016.

Dont Mourn, Organize !#konisurrender

by cks175 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 03:51:54 PM PDT

•  My 92 year old mother was ready for Obama (1+ / 0-)
          shanesnana

but I need to know if Hillary is going to be good on women's issues and by that I mean domestic issues, the safety net, Social Security and Medicare or if she still is going to need to prove she's as tough as the boys.  I don't want the first woman President to be Margaret Thatcher.

• Recommended (140)
  • Media (25)
  • Spam (22)
  • Education (22)
  • Labor (22)
  • GOP (22)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site