View Diary: AARP poll: Seniors loathe chained CPI proposal (231 comments)

•  Democrats need to tell Obama to STFU then (eom) (17+ / 0-)

When I cannot sing my heart. I can only speak my mind.

by Unbozo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 01:05:02 PM PDT

•  I don't know about that, I think they need to keep (5+ / 0-)

telling him these cuts are hurtful, would hurt the party in 2014 and hurt the economy.  I think that's what they need to keep telling him.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 01:19:44 PM PDT

•  If he were GW Bush, you might think you had to (9+ / 0-)

keep explaining it to him and trying to find words that he might grasp. But Obama is not Bush. He understands perfectly what he is doing. He has told us repeatedly he wants to do this. He tried to do with Boehner in the first "Grand bargain scheme," and he has continued to offer it to them over and over and over.  The only thing that has saved us is that the Rethugs realize they can get what they want from him without having to take any risks themselves.    That is his pattern and it is not going to change.  He's not doing this because he is an idiot. He's doing it because he wants to.

The question we have to ask is, since it isn't necessary, the Rethugs aren't asking for it, there is huge disapproval of it in his own party and the people of the country hate it, who is benefitting?   Once we answer that question, we will know. I would guess the banks would much prefer us to pay for their reckless mistakes  than have to pay for them themselves. The rich would rather hide all their money in the Cayman Islands and balance the budget on the backs of the middle class and poor.  The Corporations want a pliable work force that has no alternative but to submit to whatever they want to do to us.   With this in mind, we have just answered the question.  Obama just pretends to believe what he tells us when he is running for office.   And he's so good and convincing at that. But the facts speak for themselves. He's working for the other side.

•  Eh, this part is debatable (0+ / 0-)
          He's working for the other side.
          I don't mind criticism, I just refuse to be on either the Obama Rocks or Obama Sucks sides.  Neither group really ever tells the complete truth.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:08:31 PM PDT

•  Obama sucks. (0+ / 0-)

What we need is a Democrat in the White House.

by expatjourno on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:47:50 PM PDT

•  Well I know what team your on and I don't like (0+ / 0-)

your side or the other side.  I'll stay natural.  Obama isn't great but he doesn't suck.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:53:20 PM PDT

•  IIRC staying neutral only guarantees you'll go (1+ / 0-)
                expatjourno

nowhere.

When I cannot sing my heart. I can only speak my mind.

by Unbozo on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 12:30:05 AM PDT

•  So assassinating people, continuing Bush's wars... (1+ / 0-)
                derridog

...escalating in Afghanistan,
                *trying to prolong the U.S. war in Iraq,
                *blowing up wedding parties in drone strikes,
                *refusing to prosecute torturers or banksters,
                *persecuting whistleblowers,
                *adopting Bush's Wall street bail-out polices lock, stock and barrel,
                *building the largest electronic surveillance center the world has ever seen,
                *eavesdropping without a warrant on Americans' every telephone conversation and email,
                *proposing cuts to Social Security,
                *waiting until a majority of self-identified conservatives favored DADT repeal before backing it himself,
                *letting BP dump poisonous chemicals that have been banned in the North Sea into the Gulf of Mexico.
                *appointing an oil industry crony to run Interior,
                *expanding offshore drilling,
                *appointing a Wall Street crony to run the SEC,
                *refusing to release prisoners in Guantanamo WHO HAVE BEEN CLEARED AND WHO ARE NOW HUNGER STRIKING,
                *etc., there's plenty more...

... does not make him suck, in your view?

Well, my standards are higher.

What we need is a Democrat in the White House.

by expatjourno on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 02:27:38 AM PDT

•  THANK you! (2+ / 0-)
          aliasalias, NonnyO
          The question we have to ask is, since it isn't necessary, the Rethugs aren't asking for it, there is huge disapproval of it in his own party and the people of the country hate it, who is it benefiting?

Who could it benefit?

We already know who it will hurt.

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:53:22 PM PDT

•  If he doesn't understand (3+ / 0-)
        aliasalias, NonnyO, Glenn45

what these cuts will do then he has no right to call himself a Democrat because he is just mowing over everyone like blades of grass under a lawnmower.  It is all about what he wants and no one else other than Lloyd Blankfein who also want these cuts as well.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:09:46 PM PDT

•  Eh, I kind of agree more Josh Marshall at TPM (1+ / 0-)
          TacoPie

Second, on the politics, President Obama and his advisors have made clear this isn’t what President Obama is actually for. He doesn’t think it’s a good idea. It’s rather what he’s willing to do if Republicans are willing to make a big move on revenues. So he’s anticipating claims that he’s not serious about long term cuts and making clear that he’s willing to put real cuts, painful cuts that most of his supporters will hate, on the table. There’s an internal logic there. But the problem is that there doesn’t seem to be much of any evidence that Republicans are going to make that any kind of move like that. So really this is just the President negotiating with himself, validating the wisdom of big Social Security cuts while Republicans are still saying — and show no signs of not saying — that no more taxes should ever go up ever.

Now, the counter to this is that the optics of going the extra length helps the President with swing voters who want to see he’s trying to compromise. I’m uncertain about that. But that’s certainly part of the calculus.

Sorry but the whole "corptocracy" 1%, OWS rhetoric is getting a little old to me.  Nothing against OWS, just I don't believe that their narrative alone is the complete truth.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:34:36 PM PDT

•  If someone (4+ / 0-)
            aliasalias, hooper, NonnyO, Glenn45

holds another person hostage is that not a crime?  Is the person holding someone hostage to be trusted by the victim or others that the hostage holder threatens? Perhaps it is my own inability to see this as a policitical move since I will be the victim here.  Do you think it is easy for older disabled people like myself to sit here and think this is OK when we know that some of us will lose everything if this goes through.  I'm terrified, what about that can't you understand?

If this is what our politics have come down to, which is probably what it is, then heaven help us we are in big trouble.  I know so many elderly and disabled people especially since I'm disabled myself, but I know in my hearts of hearts what this will do to people and Obama didn't think the sequester would go through either, but it has.

by zaka1 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 03:09:33 PM PDT

•  I'm not saying I don't understand your concern, in (1+ / 0-)
              TheDuckManCometh

fact I share it and if you followed my diaries you would know I'm heavily against cutting Social Security as well.  So yes, I do understand why you're terrified and invow to keep fighting to stop these cuts from happening.  Maybe I'm just tired of Daily Kos freak out comments and instead focus less on panicking and more on action.  I'm the one who's been promoting the Protecting an Preserving Social Security Act of 2013 to strengthen social security yet only a very few times have my diaries about that plan been on the rec list.  Hell, i evene interviewed the authors of the plan, Senator Mark Begich (D.AK) and Rep. Ted Deutch (D. FL-21), for the SSD blogathon and they didnt even make the rec list.  Those diaries have all the contact info, bill numbers and links to organizations the are also pushing for that plan but for some reason, people here would rather tip and rec diaries screaming about how Obama will betray us and don't motivate people to do shot about except write their high and mighty freak out comments.  Kind of makes you question where the priorities in this community are.  Promote the diary that talks about the problem but has no call for action
              and let people waste their time and energy in their comments or promote the diary that calls for action and has info on how you can take action?

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 03:28:37 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry (2+ / 0-)
                TheDuckManCometh, poopdogcomedy

I've missed your diaries and I do believe in taking action.  And I understand where your coming from and respect that.  I have been a fighter all my life and even became a social worker in hopes of us finding a better way for all.  Part of what I feel has a lot to do with what the corporate types did to my profession and how they literally threw the poor and mentally ill to the curb.  But that wasn't enough, then they came for the middle class, professions that did make large profits, and on and on.  And now that I'm disabled, heck as I was becoming disabled I knew what I was facing back then and I was so afraid.  But, this just throws another monkey wrench in the whole mix and I know I'm not alone.

However, I believe many of tipped and rec'd diaries are almost like a cathexis for many that are feeling helpness against people who have power to do harm and we honestly are struggling to fight back.  The President has been told over and over again by the people and yet he doesn't listen, and of course people are going to feel panic.  Our system has always had flaws, but as of late our system is sustaining fewer and fewer people.

There is only so much organization can do and I think like others it appears that the President only listens to organizations that tell him what he wants to hear.  The election should have told the Democrats that the third rail should be left untouched and they just didn't listen.

Thanks for your response, I do understand where your coming from, I just have great doubts about whether or not we have the power to protect ourselves from cuts that are being forced on us after we spent years paying to sustain a public system.

by zaka1 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 08:04:37 PM PDT

•  Hurting the Democratic Party is a FEATURE... (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

...for Obama. Always has been.

What we need is a Democrat in the White House.

by expatjourno on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:46:43 PM PDT

•  Forget Obama. He's not running for office, and (12+ / 0-)

you can't convince him to stop saying this stuff, obviously.

This is about the congress and getting more democrats elected.  That's not going to happen unless they voice strong opposition to this proposal and vote against it at every turn.  In fact I think they should express extreme disappointment in the president.

You think people will hold it against them for voting against a "Grand Bargain?"  Those are just words, blather to most people.  Chained CPI and means testing Medicare on the other hand are very real political dynamite.  Democrats would be fools to back the President on this.  He has nothing to lose maybe, but they are GUARANTEED to lose if they go along.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. --Herman Melville

by ZedMont on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 01:33:41 PM PDT

•  The ads write themselves (1+ / 0-)
        ZedMont

"The President and his Republican allies want to destroy social security and medicare.  Send me to congress.  I won't let them!  Joe Blow, the INDEPENDENT Democrat fighting for you!"*

*I'm Joe Blow and I approve this message.  Paid for by the Joe Blow for Congress committee.

Tell me what to write. tellmewhattowrite.com 'To know what is right and to do it are two different things.' - Chushingura, a tale of The Forty-Seven Ronin

by rbird on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:03:09 PM PDT

•  I think I would say the President wants to cut (1+ / 0-)
          rbird

them and the Republicans want to DISMANTLE them.  Neither is acceptable to me.

by ZedMont on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:10:13 PM PDT

•  I was thinking of a 15 second radio ad... (3+ / 0-)
            ZedMont, hooper, NonnyO

...but for longer ads or TV commercials, you could add that nuance to it.

"I'm Joe Blow and I'm running for Congress.  The President wants to cut social security and medicare.  The Republicans want to DISMANTLE them.  Neither is acceptable to me!  Send me to Congress and I'll protect social security and medicare.  Vote for the INDEPENDENT Democrat who'll protect your interests!  Vote Joe Blow for Congress!"*

How's that?  Stress the threat, connect the threat to specific individuals (the prez) and organizations (the Republicans), give relief ("I'll oppose them!") and reinforce by stressing the independence of the candidate.

It's a winner!

by rbird on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:30:03 PM PDT

•  He is the chef representive of the democratic (3+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright, aliasalias, schnecke21

party in the eye of the public. How does that make the party look? You think seniors are more likely to vote for the party that wants to give up everything for the "Grand Bargain"? I don't think so!

When I cannot sing my heart. I can only speak my mind.

by Unbozo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:12:23 PM PDT

•  So they're going to vote for the party that just (0+ / 0-)

today told Obama that those cuts he proposed are not deep enough?

You can forget about his being the chief representative of the Democratic party.  He has.

If his folly trumps the Republicans' demands for even DEEPER cuts (with no tax increases), then the election is lost already and we're just fanning the keyboard here.

by ZedMont on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:24:13 PM PDT

•  This is a chance for Congressional Democrats... (4+ / 0-)

...to triangulate against the White House and loudly support the most popular U.S. government program in the history of the republic.

Obama has served up a high, hanging curveball that Congressional Democrats could hit right out of the park.

What we need is a Democrat in the White House.

by expatjourno on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 02:50:52 PM PDT

•  Agreed, he is now a liability to them (0+ / 0-)

"The real wealth of a nation consists of the contributions of its people and nature." -- Rianne Eisler

by noofsh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 05:55:03 PM PDT

•  Check out this diary... (1+ / 0-)
      War on Error

... regarding Senator Bernie Sanders' position on SSI/SSDI cuts:
      I agree with my Senator on this

by NonnyO on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 07:06:14 PM PDT