View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 9.7 (313 comments)

•  What great finds! (4+ / 0-)
    kishik, welso, jayden, RiveroftheWest

What kind of clematis did you get?

•  blue and lavender?? (4+ / 0-)
      estreya, welso, jayden, RiveroftheWest

LOL... I'd have to go back out to check on the names.  They did at least have labels!  :D

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 01:28:12 PM PDT

•  Lovely. (4+ / 0-)
        kishik, welso, jayden, RiveroftheWest

I'm planning to get a white one like the one Welso has (unless my memory fails - maybe it was you who had the white!).

•  I had a beautiful white.... (4+ / 0-)
          estreya, welso, jayden, RiveroftheWest

i think the leaf blowers killed it.

I also had a vibrant huge pink... which god only knows if it will come up again this year (it's in the front yard)... and then a soft pink with a poof is the one that I DO see pushing up some growth (the one that I protected by fencing it up so the leaf blowers couldn't hit it)

But the ones I picked up for $5 are in like gallon sized pots.  I should probably put them in the ground since they're in bud.

by kishik on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:13:02 PM PDT

•  I have two white ones. (4+ / 0-)
          estreya, kishik, jayden, RiveroftheWest

This is the older one ('Wada's Primrose'), which came with the house and is along the side fence. It blooms first and is already 4 feet tall this season.

photo 051510019.jpg

This one ('Henryi') has historically climbed up and smothered the corner of the garage.  It got stomped on when the garage got painted last year, and I worried that it was dead.  But over the weekend I saw a couple of little shoots.  :-)  Cross your fingers and hope it recovers!

photo 090310003.jpg

photo 022.jpg

•  Yes, yes ... oh ... so glorious. (4+ / 0-)
            welso, kishik, jayden, RiveroftheWest

That bottom photograph is astounding.

•  The second one.... (4+ / 0-)
            jayden, estreya, RiveroftheWest, welso

Is the one i think is gone. :-(

by kishik on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:59:15 PM PDT

•  Gorgeous! (4+ / 0-)
            estreya, RiveroftheWest, welso, kishik

Clematis are really tenacious so yours should come back.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:19:52 PM PDT

•  I have hope (4+ / 0-)
              jayden, estreya, RiveroftheWest, kishik

because this plant got broken off at ground level about 10 years ago (during the previous garage painting) and came back.  I hope it has the energy for a second comeback in it.

•  I'm in the "it will come back" camp too ... (4+ / 0-)
                RiveroftheWest, kishik, jayden, welso

Remember when i was sure i'd killed my monster of an evergreen clematis because it was overflowing the corner and i wanted to retrain it into a trellis?  It came back, and is already overgrown to the point where the trellis is invisible and i need to think about additional support!  Once it blooms, i'm going to cut it back again in the hopes that it can sustain such brutal treatment annually.  So i think yours will come back.

Meanwhile, the clematis in the front that i'm also pretty sure you inspired me to buy (it's a purple Jackmanii i think?) is also sprouting like mad, and i kind of wish i'd clipped that back to the ground at some point.  It, too, is sort of flopping over the trellis already with the shoots that have popped high up out of seemingly dead wood from last year.

Keep the faith!

•  I see nada... (4+ / 0-)
                  RiveroftheWest, estreya, jayden, welso

on mine.  :(

I do see growth pushing up on other clematis around the yard... but not my white.  :(

It's why I've gone clematis happy this year.  :)

by kishik on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 09:37:15 AM PDT

•  If your white one (4+ / 0-)
                    RiveroftheWest, estreya, jayden, kishik

is the same 'Henryi' variety as mine, then it might just be lagging behind the others.  My 'Henryi' is the last of the clematis to sprout and bloom every year.

As you can see from the second, frosty picture of it, it also re-blooms really late in the season and usually has to get whacked by more than one frost to get it shut down for winter.

•  I hope so... (3+ / 0-)
                      estreya, RiveroftheWest, welso

I used to have so many flowers from this one... but last year, those guys whipped out those blowers.  I didn't realize until too late that they'd broken most of the delicate vines... I barely had anything growing last year.  :(

This is the one that I'm hoping is okay... I see one tiny little sprig emerging from the base.

by kishik on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 10:06:06 AM PDT

•  Oh... (4+ / 0-)
      estreya, welso, RiveroftheWest, jayden

and this other woman was also shopping.  She got some roses that were put up on a spring display - so they were forced to bloom early.  But all these plants were 50% off!  So she was hunting around.

She found a variegated euonymus that was espaliered.  Really pretty nice.  Big.  It was also 50% off! She was debating.  Some of the 1/2 price stuff from last season was looking pretty beat up, but that was looking pretty good with new growth starting.

by kishik on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:18:50 PM PDT

•  Ack. (4+ / 0-)
        estreya, kishik, jayden, RiveroftheWest

I spent part of Sunday whacking back a variegated euonymous.  The thing wants to take over the world!

Even so, I propagated the stupid thing two years ago.  I had visited my brother's house and saw them growing up the trunks of trees, so I wanted to try that.  The blob of it that I have isn't by a tree, so I rooted some and put it at the foot of a tree.  It's doing okay, but it's not really grabbing hold of and growing up the tree (an ash).  But it's still young yet, so we'll see what happens this year.

•  okay - (4+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, estreya, jayden, welso

I have Ramona and MrsCholmondeley

by kishik on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 09:36:00 AM PDT

•  Oh wow! That Mrs Cholmondeley blooms twice! (4+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, kishik, jayden, welso

I want one. :)

•  :) (4+ / 0-)
          jayden, RiveroftheWest, welso, estreya

I can't remember which has buds!!  LOL  It would mean for me to go back out.  I'll check next time.

The koi have been leaping up in the air, happy for the warming waters!!

Didn't get a shot of them jumping, but did get one of the robin having a bath...

by kishik on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 03:01:10 PM PDT

•  My 'tame' robin is back. (4+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, estreya, jayden, kishik

Robins packed up and went elsewhere last summer when it was so dry.

But they're back now, and there's one that always follows me around when I'm outside weeding.

Comes really close at times, and doesn't really shy away when I get up and move to another place.  At times, I can almost reach out and touch it.

Smart bird knows that when I'm stirring up the soil, I'm also stirring up worms!  LOL.

•  There seems to be... (3+ / 0-)
              estreya, RiveroftheWest, welso

a squirrel that has adopted me.

She doesn't scoot when I'm walking by... and sneaks around the pond when I'm in the garden.  She keeps glancing up at me, to keep me in view, but she is bold!

gah.  I don't want a squirrel buddy!!  LOL

There have always been catbirds that follow me around in the garden as I'm weeding.  they'll pounce on an area I just worked on to get at the bugs.

But this year there are juncos.  The juncos are following me around.  ;-)

There are robins abound right now.  They're just having fun in the sun and the warm air.

by kishik on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 04:51:58 AM PDT