View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 9.7 (313 comments)

•  Very good. I won't play with it anymore. (4+ / 0-)
    welso, RiveroftheWest, kishik, jayden

I wasn't looking forward to pulling them up and replanting, especially since there are other areas in the garden that are desperate for attention.  Today, i put a new edge on the rose garden, but within that border, it's a carpet of weeds.  My wrist was so sore today, pulling and tugging, and it seemed so endless, i was nearly reduced to tears ...

I know.  That makes me sound very unstable. :)

•  Sounds like (4+ / 0-)
      estreya, RiveroftheWest, kishik, jayden

you need a day to just put your feet up and relax.  :-)

Don't over-do it.  Kishik will have to bonk you on your head if you do.  ;-)

•  Can you.... (4+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, welso, jayden, estreya

Wear a brace?

Also, i use one of those hand digger tools, to push down into the roots so i don't have to use so much strength tuggng. Are you just bare-handing those roots?!

Given my pain in my knees, i totally understand your wn pain!!!!

But i really wanna bonk your head back! Hee hee! ;-)

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 09:16:49 PM PDT

•  Well, i use a screw driver. :) (3+ / 0-)
        jayden, RiveroftheWest, welso

Was it blueoasis who was talking with J in last week's SMGB about the horrible quality of garden tools these days?  At one time, i used an actual "this is for the poking of weeds" garden tool (possibly similar to the one you're using?), but after breaking two (possibly three) of them, i decided a plain screwdriver might last longer!  So far, it hasn't broken, but it's true that it's not quite as pokey as a garden poker.

I don't use a wrist wrap, but i do have a wrap around chill pack i use regularly.

You're both so sweet with your responses.  I was just in a "woe is me" mood, self-indulgent, obsessive and silly.  Mostly, it's anger at myself for letting things get so out of hand in certain areas.  But i'm letting it go and plucking away.

And thanks Kish - i think i'll get a wrist brace. :)

•  My mother... (4+ / 0-)
          estreya, RiveroftheWest, jayden, welso

used to use just a screw driver... but you know, this tool is terrific.  You don't have to get this one specifically.  I got mine years before Smith Hawken went out of business.  But I also picked up another at Target - something similar in design - just called something else.  It really really does the job.  With a trowel since it's much wider, it's harder to just push it in to get at the roots.  With this device, it's slim enough that it goes straight into the ground and can get weeds even with a thick tap root.  the serrated edge also makes it good for rooting down all around a particularly tough weed.

Right now, my weeds are very manageable because the back garden is so new and I had hoed everything through!  the only weeds that are really tought to pull are the areas in which i'm constantly walking on coz the ground has gotten so compact.

Think about investing in one of these things... really - it's a very worthwhile tool to have!!

by kishik on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:38:25 AM PDT

•  Wow, Kish! One of these comments ... (4+ / 0-)
            kishik, RiveroftheWest, jayden, welso

... says it cuts weeding time in half!  If that's not music to my ears ...

Japanese Weeding Tool

Thank you for this.  I'm going to order it.

•  hah... (4+ / 0-)
              estreya, RiveroftheWest, jayden, welso

even my mother started using that tool once I showed her it... but she did still use the screwdriver to get at weeds between the cracks of the sidewalk...

;-)

by kishik on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:25:39 AM PDT

•  For crevices, (2+ / 0-)
                estreya, kishik

I use a tool a lot like this one:  crevice tool.  I have a sandstone patio that needs to be weeded a couple of times each year, and that tool is great for getting in between the pavers.  One nice feature is that the end and side of the blade is sharpened, which I mostly use to scrape moss off the tops and sides of the pavers.

•  get it at target!! (4+ / 0-)
              estreya, RiveroftheWest, jayden, welso

or even the local hardware store.... just look for the shape.  It shouldn't be as expensive!

by kishik on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:27:35 AM PDT

•  hey!! (4+ / 0-)
              estreya, RiveroftheWest, jayden, welso

this is similar to the one I picked up at target... it has that notched tip that is VERY useful.

And MUCH cheaper than the actual japanese tool (which I picked up at smith hawken for about the same price as what you linked)

by kishik on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:30:24 AM PDT

•  and do you have... (4+ / 0-)
              estreya, RiveroftheWest, jayden, welso

one of these??

I used to see these advertised on tv... thinking they were kinda dumb.  But last year I picked one up and boy did it make things easy with all those weeds that popped up as I was earnestly getting things together in the back garden.  It really did help to loosen up the soil about 6 inches down, as well... which is about all I needed to do since the top of the soil was so infused with roots from weeds.

And best is I don't have to kneel down to use this one!!  :D

by kishik on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:39:30 AM PDT

•  I do not have one of those! (3+ / 0-)
                kishik, jayden, welso

I always assumed it would be a useless tool for me, because it takes quite a bit of force to cut into the dirt here (during the drought of summer, you can barely shove a shovel into it).  I've been fretting over how to manage a huge, formerly mulched area that wraps thick between the "house" grass and the "field" grass.  Now, it's a weedy mess, and a huge eye sore, but this might be a good way to tackle it since it does have a little mulch as its base and shouldn't be too hard to press into.

You are a font of knowledge and advise.  Thank you!

•  because... (4+ / 0-)
                  estreya, jayden, RiveroftheWest, welso

of the design of the digging points and that they are angled out, it does make it easier work.  You may need to use a little force to break the top ground, but then once those prongs go in, the angling of those things do all the work.  I picked mine up in Ace hardware.

So as it works into the soil, it pulls up all the weeds along the way.  then you reverse move and the weeds fall out.

by kishik on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 10:16:15 AM PDT

•  I heartily recommend (2+ / 0-)
          estreya, jayden

a wrist brace.  I've had problems over the years with compressed nerves in my hands and arms and have had a pair of wrist braces for a long time.  They're totally worth it!  In fact, I'm going to wear one of them to bed tonight so I can get through one more work day this week.  ;-)

•  Oh drat! I'm so sorry to hear this. (2+ / 0-)
            jayden, welso

What fragile corporeal shells we all have.  Well, except J, stud that he is.  But who knows - maybe he wears a brace on something he's just not fessing up to.

I'll put wrist brace on my shopping list right now.

Thanks welso.

•  LOL!! (3+ / 0-)
              estreya, kishik, welso

No secret brace-wearing here. When it comes to the heavy lifting in the garden I've always made sure to think it through and not get in a rush. I simply cannot afford an injury.

That being said, Tuesday found me climbing up the side of a building being framed. I made a site visit to the winery addition and the stairs to the second floor haven't been constructed yet. The only way up was to climb. It didn't help that there were three other people watching me as I scrambled up through the framing. One slip and I would have been sprawled out on concrete 20' below. Talk about pressure! But fortunately I made it up and back down in one piece.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons