View Diary: Bisbee Arizona, a photo diary. (98 comments)

•  Next time they ask for suggestions for (11+ / 0-)

Netroots Nation ...

Drop the name-calling MB 2/4/11 + Please try to use ratings properly! Kos 9/9/11

by indycam on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 08:33:48 PM PDT

•  That would be fun, I think, (10+ / 0-)

albiet a bit crowded, and then some. But the vibe would be fun. I met my wife in Bisbee and spent a lot of time down there with her -- really enjoyed walking up and down the WPA steps and being in a place where normal was being not normal. The scenery is quite unique and very enjoyable (befitting those who live there for the most part).

The art of listening is the ability to pay attention to that which is most difficult to hear

by dRefractor on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 09:12:19 PM PDT

•  Is it more or less normal than Santa Cruz CA ? (6+ / 0-)
        and being in a place where normal was being not normal.

by indycam on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 09:17:52 PM PDT

•  Santa Cruz is more normal. (10+ / 0-)

But that might be because it is so much bigger.  It's got a Home Depot, and a mall (Capitola), and stoplights (we only have two, and they are out of town), and a (still greatly outnumbered) Starbucks...stuff like that.  We lived there when we ran away from Bisbee for a while.  It reminds me more of San Diego when it was smaller...I like it a lot.

"We refuse to fight in a war started by men who refused to fight in a war." -freewayblogger

by Bisbonian on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 09:28:38 PM PDT

•  Capitola is not Santa Cruz . (4+ / 0-)
            Renee, ivote2004, Bisbonian, Aunt Pat

Home depot is not here .
            The nearest one is in Soquel .

I was asking about the people really .

by indycam on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 10:29:10 PM PDT

•  Rainbow Bridge (4+ / 0-)

There is indeed a linkage of abnormality and devine wierdness twixt Santa Cruz/BonnieDoon/Brookdale and Bisbee/SilverCity/TorC.

Travelled a good deal o that bridge myself; y'ought to try it out.

#3: ensure network neutrality; #2: ensure electoral integrity; #1: ensure ecosystemic sustainability.

by ivote2004 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 01:23:08 AM PDT

•  Okay, sorry. The "is it" threw me off instead of (5+ / 0-)

"Are they".  But look at it this way...Santa Cruz has 60,000 people.  Yes, Home Depot is in Soquel and the Mall is in Capitola...what is in between Santa Cruz and Capitola?  A line on a map.  If you drive out of Bisbee, there is 23 miles of desert in any direction to reach the nearest town.  In 40 minutes, we can be in the heart of Sierra Vista...in 40 minutes from Santa Cruz, we could be in the heart of the Silicon Valley.  What that means is that it takes a different sort to live in Bisbee full time.  It's isolated, and isolating.  There are 5600 people here...there must be a couple hundred thousand in Santa Cruz, Capitola, Soquel, Aptos, La Selva Beach.  There might be as many weird ones, but the wierd gets diluted because the place can support so many normal people that just want to go to work, go to the mall, go to the big box store and find whatever they want.

When I go grocery shopping, the Co-op is half out of food most of the time.  Ralph bakes bread on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Mimosa...sells the next day.  If I go looking for bread on Saturday, it's gone.  High Desert Market carries some stuff we want, but it's expensive.  If we have a recipe calling for specific ingredients, it will take a trip to all three places to get close...and I may have to substitue something unusual to get everything.

People who live in Santa Cruz don't have to do that.  Some of them probably would, but the infrastructure in place allows it to support a lot of the kind of people that won't.

Next is jobs.  Unless you work at a restaurant, hotel, bar, gallery...i.e. the tourist industry, or the local stores to support the residents, or the Border Patrol, there aren't any.  There aren't any in the neighboring towns, either, except working with the Base at Ft Huachuca.  In Santa Cruz, you drive over the hill to go to the tech industry.  Here, you go to Tucson (two hours to get anywhere inside Tucson...off the freeway).  Speaking of freeways, it is 50 miles to the nearest freeway.  Its another hundred to the next one.

So i keep talking about infrastructure...not people.  I don't know, it's hard to make generalizations about people.  But think about the sort of people who would live in this sort of environment...who could stand to do it for long.  That's the sort of people who live here.  I am probably the most "normal" person in town.  Air Force Academy grad, airline pilot, steady job, straight arrow kind of guy.  I go 200 miles each way, every week, to go to work.  My coworkers think I am absolutely nuts.

So Bisbee is a great place to visit...all sorts of normal people love to, but to live here, you've got to be committed. And awfully flexible, and probably inspired.  And likely a little different than " normal".  Those of us who do, love it.

by Bisbonian on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:48:49 AM PDT

•  All I can say is that well over 50% (4+ / 0-)
          indycam, aitchdee, Bisbonian, Aunt Pat

of the folks I met would not fit (willingly) in any small town or large town environment that I've experienced -- granted, I haven't spent that much time in NoCal, I suspect from what I have seen there that not "normal" is largely normal :)

by dRefractor on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 09:56:30 PM PDT

•  If they did that, (0+ / 0-)

I could show up!  It's only about a five-hour drive from Phoenix!

You can't keep a mighty tree alive (much less expect it to thrive) by only spritzing the fine leaves at its tippy-top. The fate of the whole tree depends on nurturing the grassroots. - Jim Hightower

by PSzymeczek on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 01:29:19 PM PDT

• Recommended (129)
  • Community (64)
  • Elections (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Environment (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Culture (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Rescued (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site