View Diary: Bisbee Arizona, a photo diary. (98 comments)

•  That would be the best selling point (5+ / 0-)

for me- the rattlesnakes don't bother me as much as 115 degrees in the shade.

'A scarlet tanager broke the silence with his song. She thought of the bird hidden in the leaves somewhere, unseen but nevertheless brilliant red. Nevertheless beautiful.' Barbara Kingsolver/ Prodigal Summer

by flowerfarmer on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 07:42:58 AM PDT

•  Ive been here 16 years, and the hottest I have (6+ / 0-)

Ever seen was 102. It hasn't gotten over a hundred in several years now.  99 or so in June, early July.  Then the monsoons start...it gets into the nineties, and then the rains kick off, and bring it down again.  A really good thundershower will bring it back down into the 60s.  Most of the time, it will be 80s in the afternoons in July and August.

"We refuse to fight in a war started by men who refused to fight in a war." -freewayblogger

by Bisbonian on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 07:49:09 AM PDT

•  I see myself there already. (3+ / 0-)
        Bisbonian, Paul Ferguson, Aunt Pat

I long for the places i have yet to experience- there must be some gypsy blood mixed with all of this freckled skin.

I no longer have my house, my land,my home base, so why not hit the road.

I see rt 10 in my future.

by flowerfarmer on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 07:58:19 AM PDT

•  80! People think Rte 66 is the mother road, (5+ / 0-)

But really, it's the old US 80.  First coast to coast route, following the first mail route ( San Antonio to San Diego, the Jackass Mail).  Part of it is now designated Az 80  (and Nm 80), and goes right theough Bisbee.  Off of 10, at either end.

by Bisbonian on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 08:04:36 AM PDT

•  One of my favorite pieces of highway (4+ / 0-)

is 80 between Douglas and the NM state line.

"To see both sides of a quarrel, is to judge without hate or alarm" - Richard Thompson

by matching mole on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 08:19:18 AM PDT

•  Silver Creek...yeah, that's pretty. (4+ / 0-)

As you come out into the Peloncillo valley, there is a meteor crater off to the east, south of Apache.  Not as spectacular as the one up north...hardly anyone knows it is there.

by Bisbonian on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 08:26:17 AM PDT

•  I didn't know that (3+ / 0-)
                Aunt Pat, Bisbonian, flowerfarmer

I remember heading off to the east of the highway once a long time ago - trying to get to the canyon (forget its name) where Geronimo actually surrendered.  Gave up because I didn't have a high enough clearance vehicle.

My favorite memory is coming across pronghorn just east of the highway in really nice grassland.

by matching mole on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 08:56:05 AM PDT

•  Went out there in an old pickup, (3+ / 0-)

Skeleton Canyon ( named for an abush on the Clanton Family).  My mother and her husband went along, and we found THE rock in the famous picture by C.S. Fly, and  tried to replicate it as much as possible.

I don't have a vehicle that would get there, now.  I have an extended oilpan on my bus, for cooling...if I took though off, I could get enough clearance.  But I might overheat :)

by Bisbonian on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 09:48:31 AM PDT