View Diary: Insomniacs' Vent Hole with Craig Ferguson (118 comments)

•  Long Story Short, My Grandfather (3+ / 0-)
    crose, MTmofo, sallym

rest his soul was a HUMP pilot. China, India, Burma was where he flew during WWII. He had a great love for that part of the world. I've never been there. He went there as often as he could. Which was pretty often.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 10:59:01 PM PDT

•  Some places you (3+ / 0-)
      Alexandra Lynch, MTmofo, sallym

just know are your places. The food brings you an atom or two closer to something familiar to your heart of hearts. The music does the same. Did your Grandfather bring back things, stories, pictures?

•  Nope Not A Single Thing (4+ / 0-)
        crose, MTmofo, sallym, dsb

to be honest, and I am almost going to cry as I type this, we knew nothing of his service until his death. When the local paper ran a huge front page story on him. He was the only doctor in the town for decades, everybody knew him. Known as the "bady doctor." He delivered me. And like 3,400 other children. There is a III after my name. I can't go to his town and not have people, to this day, hear my name and not walk up to me and tell me a "birth" story.

I have his Purple Hearts and a box of medals. I guess he was a bad ass mother fucker. Never spoke a word about it. Not a single word.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 11:18:19 PM PDT

•  I can't imagine what he might have (3+ / 0-)
          MTmofo, sallym, dsb

seen to make him not want to talk about it. I guess I can imagine it--you hear stories all the time about what they went through-even the Greatest Generation-and could never speak of again. I am sorry for his loss from your life.

•  My Dad Has A PhD In Military History (4+ / 0-)
            crose, MTmofo, sallym, dsb

His son. I always assumed there was a reason he didn't want to talk about it.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 11:23:47 PM PDT

•  Did your Dad (3+ / 0-)
              MTmofo, sallym, dsb

know anything about it? A bit of irony that a military historian's father wouldn't speak of his own military history.

•  We Know A Little (4+ / 0-)
                crose, MTmofo, sallym, dsb

but he never, never talked about it.

The best example I have is a strange one. He as person of mean and he said if I graduated from college in the 80 with honors he'd buy me a car. I told him what I wanted and this short conversations happpened:

Those fucking Japs shot me. I won't buy you that.
                First and only time I heard him cuss. I was bought an American made car from an American company ......

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 11:34:05 PM PDT

•  Urg. (3+ / 0-)
                  sallym, MTmofo, dsb

Probably best for you at the time.

My Dad was a friend of the former governor of Wyoming--Ed Hershler. Gov Ed was to entertain a delegation from Japan coming to do the ceremonial thing with sister cities. Understand that Ed was over 6-foot-2, very imposing, and walked with a pronounced limp. One of the ambassadors remarked that the governor looked familiar to him. "Have we ever met before?" he asked. "Oh I don't know," Ed mused, "maybe Guadalcanal?"

•  Reconciliation amongst combatants (2+ / 0-)
                    sallym, dsb

is a catch as catch can situation.  Some seek it out, some not.  Modern communication systems have made that process easier for those who wish to avail themselves of the technology and the opportunity.

"Go well through life"-Me (As far as I know)

by MTmofo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 11:50:30 PM PDT

•  My Mom and Dad spent winters in Hawaii (2+ / 0-)
                  MTmofo, dsb

It bothered my Dad, wondering if what he did affected the families of the Japanese he saw over there. He flew in the fire bombing missions, and when the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima he like all others on his base were in the air. They called it Maximum Effort. He flew once more, but his group was on their way to Hawaii and home, when Nagasaki was bombed

I think they didn't talk because they saw too much, and lost a lot.

•  There is. Sometimes it's as simple as (3+ / 0-)
              crose, sallym, dsb

"I answered the call of my country in a time of war".

Orrrrrr, it was gross enough to prefer to just be quiet about it all.

There are a lot of sliding scales in life, that black to white continuum, which each individual picks the extent to which they wish to discuss.

"Go well through life"-Me (As far as I know)

by MTmofo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 11:30:34 PM PDT

•  My Dad only talked about his ezperiences (4+ / 0-)
          crose, webranding, MTmofo, dsb

in maybe the last 5 years he lived. His only sibling, his brother was a pursuit pilot and died in a crash. He lost a lot of friends from college - went 2 years AAF back to school. I'd ask him questions and he'd always say "Oh what do you want to talk about that for?" Finally, I guess I wore him down. I have his hat and dress pinks.
          That generation just buried their war experiences. My Dad, and probably your Grandfather went to India via the Northern Transport arriving in Tripoli, I think, travelling overland into Egypt. They were offered a chance to go see the Pyramids, Sphinx and Nile River on a little side trip offered by the Red Cross. So civilized.. what an experience for my Dad, at 21 - 22!

•  My Dad was a B-29 pilot (4+ / 0-)
      crose, MTmofo, webranding, dsb

Kharagpur, India and Tinian Island. He flew over the hump as well. He got me hooked on good chutney on cold meats, I served it as a side with my easter pork loin roast. He also liked curries - the hotter the better