View Diary: America's soft power secret: Hip Hop (94 comments)

•  Cheap to make (0+ / 0-)

It's being pushed because it is so cheap to make yet sells for the same price.  Don't need a band, don't need a singing talent...same as that Auto-tuned stuff the record companies are trying to sell us.

I support singers and musicians by not listening to this new "music" that doesn't include them anymore.

The Julianna Michigan Show on Itunes and Podbean.

by libnewsie on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 09:48:53 PM PDT

•  It's not "cheap" at all. There's a lot (3+ / 0-)

of work that goes into mixing a track, sometimes working with as many as 64 different tracks in the mix.

It's being "pushed" because it was highly successful as a DIY art form and there's money to be made, but it's not like three or four MC's and a DJ or two are somehow innately cheaper to record than a classic rock four piece with a lead singer.

When we start talking about serious production in a studio we're talking about professionals doing every bit as much work to get a mix right as they would ever do with a rock or jazz group.

Hip Hop doesn't necessarily require any melodic ability but it certainly requires an incredible sense of meter, rhythm, and flow.  Additionally, the percentage of performer/writers is much higher.  The vast majority of artists write all their own lyrics.

dEar Ellois: U send Fud down holez, we no eaTz u. That iz deAl. No forget. MooRlockz Haz 2 eats. Stoopid Elloiz.

by JesseCW on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 09:58:22 PM PDT

•  I am a DJ (0+ / 0-)

I am FM DJ and it is being pushed even though it is a niche genre at best and is cheaper to produce.

A quite annoying thing about hip hop also is: don't call me "shorty" or I will look down on you before stepping on your foot.  As a woman, I find the genre demeaning to women.

The Julianna Michigan Show on Itunes and Podbean.

by libnewsie on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 10:25:59 PM PDT

•  Rock music is loaded with misogynistic (0+ / 0-)

shit...and the reverse.  So is hip hop.

There is much, much more to Hip Hop than crap some music studio is trying to get air time for.

It's a "niche genre" that 70% of people under 30 and 40% of people 30 to 45 are heavily into.

by JesseCW on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 10:36:41 PM PDT

•  Where are these people that listen to Hip Hop? (0+ / 0-)

I don't know anyone who listens to or likes it.  You might hear it in NY but I'm in the Midwest.  My 17 year old doesn't listen to it nor his friends.

I also DJ as a hobby on Second Life...there is zero demand for Hip Hop there.  The Djs there that play Hip Hop play to empty rooms.  Tossing in a Hip Hop song is an easy way to clear a room hence I won't take a Hip Hop request.  What is most popular there?  Classic Rock and Pop '60s-'90s...that is what sells there.  You know the time before Auto-tuned & Buzzy dance music or the Rap and Hip Hop.  Old school rap had a political message at least thus had value for that.

The Julianna Michigan Show on Itunes and Podbean.

by libnewsie on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:02:06 AM PDT

•  You're on FM. You're already a dinosaur. (5+ / 0-)

My two teen girls haven't listened to a radio station since they were in the single digit years. Even when their in the car with me they want it off because they've got their own stuff to plug into the USB port. These kids build their own playlists and share them. Their homegirl at school is their radio station because she's known around the school for having the hottest mixed playlists of NBH (that stands for "never before heard").

How does a method and medium from 70 years ago compete with that?

•  Meh. (2+ / 0-)
      mamamedusa, Fire bad tree pretty

Every generation there are horse and buggy complainers. I've done it myself.

I don't tell young people what they ought to listen to. What they like is what they like.