View Diary: "Stand your ground". An efficient death penalty for misdemeanors (38 comments)

•  maybe it's the contrarian in me, (4+ / 0-)

maybe it's because I, and people I know, have suffered breakins and thefts . . . but I'm having a hard time working up any sympathy for the deceased.  4AM, on someone else's property, breaking in to their storage, I don't need a "stand your ground" law, I'd think that "fox in the chicken coop" is quite enough.

Is somebody's "stuff" worth dying for?  That's a question that the thieves answer in the affirmative . . . I just can't find it in me to fault the homeowner for closing on the deal.  Tell me again why we're supposed to just let people steal stuff . . . maybe I'm missing something.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 11:19:29 PM PDT

•  If you want capital punishment for burglary, (8+ / 0-)

get it voted into law. Otherwise the rest of us will continue imposing prison sentences instead.

Freedom isn't free. Patriots pay taxes.

by Dogs are fuzzy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 12:08:22 AM PDT

•  If you WOULD (0+ / 0-)

"impose prison sentences" this shooting would almost certainly not have happened.  It is a very safe bet that this was not the perps "first offense".  Nor, had they been successful (or even had they been arrested), would it have been their last.  If you want to discourage "self help" then . . . deal with the problem.

"Catch and release" does not work . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:50:35 AM PDT

•  It was a shipping container they were breaking (1+ / 0-)
      Joy of Fishes

into. I wonder what was in the shipping container. I wonder what they were after. Maple Valley. Hummmm.

What if it was a meth lab? Would it be OK then?

I wonder if the contents of the shipping container will ever be known.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 04:33:24 AM PDT

•  Unfortunately, the last thousand years of our (0+ / 0-)

jurisprudence doesn't accommodate your bloodthirst.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:44:43 AM PDT

•  "bloodlust"? really? (0+ / 0-)

I don't go hunting people.  I do, however, have a modest desire to feel secure in my person [I]and stuff[/I].  Your "thousand years of . . . jurisprudence" is failing to accommodate for that.  And you didn't answer my question:

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 07:00:27 AM PDT

•  Should someone be shot (0+ / 0-)

for stealing a loaf of bread? Or is it only when they are stealing something more valuable? How would the shooter know the difference? What if it was a drunken kid who stumbled into the wrong lot?

Etc.