Skip to main content

View Diary: "Amazeballs" -- North Carolina GOP Seeks to Tax Parents of College Students who Vote (97 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  No, parents can claim (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:

    their children as dependents - and provide them insurance on their own coverage - until age 24. Much longer if they still provide more than half the person's support. No matter where the supported person lives or votes.

    Unless the kid is emancipated (a legal procedure) or orphaned, gets married and sets up a home supported primarily by his/her own income, they are still for tax purposes dependents of the person/people who provide the bulk of support.

    Federally. For NC state purposes, we'll see how this works out.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site