View Diary: Poll on Christianity as State Religion: Good News and Bad News (42 comments)

•  I wouldn't worry about it. After watching (12+ / 0-)

politics since my early days of political awakening back in my home state of Idaho back when Nixon completed his comeback from oblivion by being elected President, along with observing the occasionally bizarre politics of the state of my birth and all those surrounding states of the Intermountain West (including on the East Side of the Grate State of Orygun in which I've resided for the last 20 years), I've learned one simple fact:

You can almost always guarantee that you will be able to count on at least a 30% approval rating for even the strangest, most unlikely, perhaps even illegal proposal that you might want to toss out in front of the American people.  In one respect or another, at least that percentage of our friends and neighbors are sufficiently twisted and crazy to sign up for just about anything.  An apparent lack of civics and history education in this country will even lead at least 30% of Americans to say 'yes' to abrogation of the first element of the First Amendment by establishing Christianity as the national religion....

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile..." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

by Jack K on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 07:56:19 PM PDT

•  Hate to raise this analogy, but (10+ / 0-)

The best that Hitler and the Nazis did before he was appointed chancellor:

April of 1932:  37% for president
      July of 1932:  36% for the Reichstag
      December of 1932:  32% for the Reichstag

So, as you can see, even 30% have been known to do some harm.

"We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals, now we know that it is bad economics." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jan. 20, 1937

by Navy Vet Terp on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 08:14:06 PM PDT

•  It helped the Nazis that the Weimar Republic... (4+ / 0-)

...was a party-list ballot, where every party got their percentage of the vote in Reichstag seats, rather than a first-past-the-post system like in the US.

If the Republicans only got 30% of the vote, we would have overwhelming Democratic majorities in every statehouse and in both houses of Congress.

by JamesGG on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 09:04:18 PM PDT

•  That's why we have gerrymandering (0+ / 0-)

and flyover states.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 03:36:52 AM PDT

•  True, and I get what you're saying... (1+ / 0-)
        Ahianne

...but there are some societal walls that we can hopefully rely on to protect us.  Somehow, with the increasing multiculturalism of this country (which I think is so much different than the Germany of my maternal grandmother's time), I'm hoping for that wall...

by Jack K on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 09:14:40 PM PDT

•  Since the old bigots don't support "big science," (0+ / 0-)

like stem cell research, most of them will be dying off soon. Then, a more liberal generation which does believe in rationality will replace them and live much longer.

Just doing my part to piss off right wing nuts, one smart ass comment at a time.

by tekno2600 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 09:47:13 AM PDT