View Diary: You Can't Call It a Concession if No One Asked For It (211 comments)

•  Does this still surprise people? (15+ / 7-)

He's been Wall Street's boy from Day 1.

by gjohnsit on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 12:40:27 PM PDT

•  You have every right to be angry (6+ / 0-)

but calling the president anyone's "boy" crosses the line.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

by NMDad on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 01:33:50 PM PDT

•  I didn't mean it in a racist way (7+ / 0-)

but I did mean it in an insulting way.

I've widely heard using the term "boy" in a non-racist way, and I don't believe that you haven't heard it used that way.

by gjohnsit on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 03:20:41 PM PDT

•  So you're aware of the racist past... (4+ / 0-)

and still used it.

Bravo, you're so fucking braze.

•  Kiss my a** (5+ / 0-)

"Boy" is not a racist word. It totally depends on context.
               This is exactly what conservatives hate and despise about liberal political correctness. In this case, I have to agree with them. You are embrassing me.

I've used it both in joking ways and in insulting ways with friends and collegues both white and colored. They always "got it".

I wasn't even thinking about Obama being black when I wrote the comment. The fact that you automatically assumed the worst about me when it comes to a non-racist word reflects totally on you. Not on me.

by gjohnsit on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 03:44:30 PM PDT

•  colored? (4+ / 0-)

somebody take this guy away...

and you have the nerve to tell me to kiss your sorry fucking ass too?
              And I didn't have to read anything into your comments, you just said you were aware of the word's racist past when you said it.

But this is a discussion of "entitlements" so it's fitting.
              Eat a d__ , sorry mother fuc__r!

•  I thought your comment was inadvertent . . . (3+ / 0-)
              dclawyer06, gjohnsit, shanikka

but when you use words like "colored," I really have to wonder.

Honestly, I don't see why you want to die on this particular hill.

by FogCityJohn on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 06:47:39 PM PDT

•  Assume whatever you want (4+ / 0-)

I stand by everything I've said and every word I've used.

by gjohnsit on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 07:26:19 PM PDT

•  You are right (2+ / 0-)
                Don midwest, gratis4
                Honestly, I don't see why you want to die on this particular hill.
                 Now that I think about it, your statement is one of wisdom.
                   I'd forgotten an old rule of internet debates and accusations of racism: it does no good to explain yourself.

For example, I once had a debate where I denounced Israel's policy toward Palestinians.
                   Hence, I was accused of being anti-semitic.
                 I explained that I had a whole branch of my family wiped out in the Holocaust, thinking that this would mean something to the other person.
                   Instead he called me a "self-hating Jew".

The same goes for this debate. It makes absolutely no difference who I am or what I meant. On the internet the accusation was made - end of story. I should have remembered that, and for that mistake I deserve this public humiliation.
                   I'll have to do better next time.

by gjohnsit on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 08:35:38 PM PDT

•  I'll try this again. (1+ / 0-)
                  Meteor Blades

The term "boy" is racist and offensive.  Its racist nature exists independent of your intent.  So even if you didn't mean it in a racist way, you can't wash the term clean of its racist meaning, which existed long before you were even born.

To illustrate what I mean, I'll tell you a true story. Years ago, an Irish friend of mine was visiting the U.S.  We were walking down the street one evening and witnessed a pretty serious fist fight. At some point I commented that someone needed to call the paddy wagon.  My friend's jaw dropped, and she said she couldn't believe I'd used such an offensive term.  Thing was, at that time I was completely ignorant of the fact that "paddy" was a derogatory term for the Irish.  It was something no one had explained to me, and I'd never given a second thought to the origin of the word.

Since I didn't know it was derogatory, I could not possibly have intended to offend.  But my absence of intent didn't change the offensive nature of the word, nor did it change how the word sounded to my friend's ears.  I explained my ignorance and she forgave me.  All of which is to say that a word can be imbued with bigotry even when we personally don't intend it that way and indeed even when we don't even know what its history is.

Does that make it clearer?

by FogCityJohn on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:32:53 AM PDT

•  I believe you. (1+ / 0-)
          elwior

It's still unacceptable.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

by NMDad on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 03:29:04 PM PDT

•  Sorry, but this simply doesn't exist: (7+ / 0-)
          I didn't mean it ["boy"] in a racist way.
          There is no way to use the term "boy" to describe an adult black man without the term being racist.  I'm sure that if you'd thought about it for a few minutes, you'd have realized that and written something different.  But your comment is what it is, and the use of the word "boy" was way out of line.

I haven't HR'd your comment, because I honestly don't see much value in HR's, but I can see why others feel differently.  I think it would be best if you simply apologized for what I am sure was simply an ill-considered choice of words.  Defending it really isn't worth your time or your credibility.

Just my $0.02.

by FogCityJohn on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 06:45:32 PM PDT

•  Fair 'nuff (4+ / 0-)
            FogCityJohn, Don midwest, Burned, gratis4

It isn't worth arguing about.
               I don't like people thinking I'm a racist, but I can't help getting upset by people assuming the worst of me when they don't know anything about me.

I admit I could have used a different word that would have been just as effective. And for that I'm sorry to have caused this whole ruckus.

Just let it die.

by gjohnsit on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 07:52:30 PM PDT

•  let's just say that "guy" is what he meant. (1+ / 0-)
        gratis4

that Obama has been, Wall St's guy, has been, is now, witness over 4 years later and not one CEO who helped crash our economy has been charged with any criminal activity.

And some of them are known to be invited to the White House for social functions and for economic advice even.

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:15:08 AM PDT

•  Uprated for faulty HR and for it being the truth.* (8+ / 0-)

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 02:02:18 PM PDT

•  WTF with the HR? (4+ / 0-)
      gjohnsit, Egg, penguins4peace, allenjo

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 02:35:35 PM PDT

•  your use of "boy" followed up (6+ / 0-)

by "coloreds" was enough to get you this HR from me.

Upraters need to go back down and see that crap.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 05:09:18 PM PDT

•  Can't believe we're having this discussion. (1+ / 0-)
        Denise Oliver Velez

Again.

Regardless of how anyone feels about the point made in the diary, I think we should all be able to agree that calling a black man "boy" is completely off-limits.  Sigh.

I probably should have gone to the movies tonight.

by FogCityJohn on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 06:58:16 PM PDT

•  Let me give you an idea of my day (2+ / 1-)
        TheMomCat, Don midwest
        Hidden by:
        Denise Oliver Velez

Every day I get called "gringo". People here didn't understand when I took exception to that word, so I stopped taking exception to it.
        My neighbors call each other "negro" all the time. No one gets excited about it. It's no big deal.

I work on the border of Haiti. All my students and project partners are darker than Obama.
           However, they are all deeply aware of the difference between Dominican moreno and Haiti negro.

When I painted a mural on the front of the biblioteca of children reading a couple Dominicans complained because the cartoon children were "haitiano". (i.e. they were too dark)
          Things like that make me very aware of shades.
        Obama isn't black, so I'm not going to call him that.

The people most upset with me here are calling Obama "black'. If you called a Dominican "negro" when they were really "moreno" they would get very upset.
         Eventhough by American standards they are "black".

Personally I think that giving racist attributes to non-racist words are giving them power.

by gjohnsit on Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 07:46:42 PM PDT

•  HR - for "Obama isn't black" (1+ / 0-)
          shanikka

we are not in the Dominican Republic

I am well aware of what moreno is and isn't in the DR.

You have no right to determine how the President defines himself.

Yes he is black.  And African-American.

You can disagree with his policies all you want - have at it.

I am a black woman. A black United States citizen.

In the DR I am "white" from their pov.

Not even india clara

That does not even begin to deal with the history of racism in the DR.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:47:44 AM PDT

•  Denise - can't believe your PC statements (1+ / 0-)
            gjohnsit

i have been following you for years here on DK

I joined Black kos community because of your suggestion

i read the original post and gave it a recommend - didn't even concern me about the "boy" usage

there has been a huge denial here at DK about the failure of the entire political process including the democratic party

it was a big step for the nation to have a president - wow, don't even know the right word - African american descent, black, whatever

but here we have a person who is actively working with blacks in some of the most difficult areas of the world and he used the word "boy" when he could have used the word "shill" instead and this community goes nuts

the empire is crumbling

the blacks have been left behind

the rest of us have been left behind

and this is more than a word

•  Thanks for your support (0+ / 0-)

but this whole thing has been a learning experience for me. In a strange way I'm glad it happened.
                 I had forgotten that Americans can be this way and its good I realized this online before I encountered it face-to-face.
                I've got some job interviews coming up and I don't need something slipping out that can be misinterpreted.

by gjohnsit on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:03:27 AM PDT

•  PC? I'm a cultural anthropologist (1+ / 0-)
              shanikka

and spend about half of my time teaching about issues of "race" and identity - there is nothing PC about what is or isn't the norm in specific contexts.

"A person actively working with blacks"?

What does that have anything to do with it.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:08:50 AM PDT

•  Leaving blacks behind, Leaving everyone else behin (1+ / 0-)
                gjohnsit
                All systems of power are the problem. And it is the role of the artist, the writer and the intellectual to defy every center of power on behalf of those whom power would silence and crush. This means, in biblical terms, embracing the stranger. It means being a constant opponent rather than an ally of government. It means being the perpetual outcast. Those who truly fight for human rights understand this.
                “Whether the mask is labeled Fascism, Democracy, or Dictatorship of the Proletariat, our great adversary remains the Apparatus—the bureaucracy, the police, the military … ,” Simone Weil wrote. “No matter what the circumstances, the worst betrayal will always be to subordinate ourselves to this Apparatus, and to trample underfoot, in its service, all human values in ourselves and in others.
                Yes I do know about the use of boy as a racial slur.

And I don't approve when it is a racial slur.

But as gjohnist explained, he could have used "shill" instead.

The bigger point is the issue of power as noted above.

My concern is that far too often here on DK there are side PC or other issues that sidestep the main issue.

And the main issue is that Obama is doing a horrible job in many aspects of his presidency. There are many stronger complaints about Obama in the comments of this very diary.

The empire is collapsing. Obama's legitimacy as a leader is in the balance. If the KXL goes through, and if the SS reduction goes through, he will loose a lot of support from traditional democrats, environmentalists and the elderly. Then with a weaker base, the heavy handed right wing attacks can continue and lead to a failed presidency.

He is playing with fire.

Does this still surprise people? (15+ / 7-)
                He's been Wall Street's shill from Day 1.
                this is a restatement of the original comment with one word changed to what the author said could have been used instead.

in my mind that is a stronger criticism of Obama than the possible mistaken use of the word boy.

The quotation at the start is from Chris Hedges column today

•  You could read MB's signature line and that would (1+ / 0-)
                shanikka

tell you, Denise.

"A person actively working with blacks"?

What does that have anything to do with it.

by allenjo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:25:19 AM PDT

•  That's not true (2+ / 0-)
                shanikka, Don midwest
                there is nothing PC about what is or isn't the norm in specific contexts.
                 The norm of how African-Americans have referred to themselves has shifted a great deal in the 50 years. Thus there is no norm.

If referring to someone by their actual, verifiable skin color is somehow racist, then that is proof that the so-called norm is subjective and political.

by gjohnsit on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 07:14:26 AM PDT

•  Who Are YOU to tell US (2+ / 0-)
                  Denise Oliver Velez, dclawyer06

3 Black Kossacks, mind you, what is the "norm" in our community?

Lord have mercy, Jesus.  The privilege, it burns.

•  welcome back to the US - land of corruption (0+ / 0-)

you will find it strange when you get back to the US

are there any institutions left that are not corrupt?

the chris hedges above I cited was titled

The Hijacking of Human Rights

whole areas are under attack

the human rights he is talking about are torture, death, etc and how they are tied to the propaganda machine that continues to say that the US is wonderful

here is an earlier column

The Shame of America’s Gulag

If, as Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote, “the degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons” then we are a nation of barbarians. Our vast network of federal and state prisons, with some 2.3 million inmates, rivals the gulags of totalitarian states. Once you disappear behind prison walls you become prey. Rape. Torture. Beatings. Prolonged isolation. Sensory deprivation. Racial profiling. Chain gangs. Forced labor. Rancid food. Children imprisoned as adults. Prisoners forced to take medications to induce lethargy. Inadequate heating and ventilation. Poor health care. Draconian sentences for nonviolent crimes. Endemic violence.
                    and later
                    “There are no former Jim Crow systems,” Kerness said. “The transition from slavery to Black Codes to convict leasing to the Jim Crow laws to the wars on poverty, veterans, youth and political activism in the 1960s has been a seamless evolution of political and social incapacitation of poor people of color. The sophisticated fascism of the practices of stop and frisk, charging people in inner cities with ‘wandering,’ driving and walking while black, ZIP code racism—these and many other de facto practices all serve to keep our prisons full. In a system where 60 percent of those who are imprisoned are people of color, where students of color face harsher punishments in school than their white peers, where 58 percent of African [American] youth … are sent to adult prisons, where women of color are 69 percent more likely to be imprisoned and where offenders of color receive longer sentences, the concept of colorblindness doesn’t exist. The racism around me is palpable.”
                    the bold are hot links in the original

yes there is a huge racial issue in the US. 58% of black youth end up in prison.

And Chris Hedges is someone that is too hot to handle for many here on DK.

That is my major point.

My major point is like the Roman Catholic Church. Mother Theresa prayed for the poor but in fact ran dying rooms. For the most part she didn't provide medical care but sent money back to Rome.

Someone who is doing good work with blacks uses the word "boy" and that is taken to be a big deal is for me a smoke screen that is used far too often in the US to divert us from the real issues.

•  OK (2+ / 0-)
                      Denise Oliver Velez, dclawyer06

I am going to assume you are writing in good faith.

And I am going to tell you that when you raise issues like prisons, and "doing good work for blacks" (which is just a twisted version of "I have a Black friend" or "look at all we've done for you people why are you complaining" in response to a legitimate complaint that NO white person in this country gets to call ANY grown Black man a
                      boy" EVER, you have a lot more self-examination (and LISTENING to Black people) and self-cure to do.  You have no idea the racist coded messages you have sent, but you've sent them.  I assume, again, you don't mean to.  So, perhaps some serious study on unconscious racism will help you understand why I am writing to you what I am writing to you, also in good faith.

•  please post the sentences which are racially coded (0+ / 0-)

i need to see them explicitly

i really need to know which statements are racially coded to see what I am doing wrong

here is someone who did explicit racist actions. When farm labors and domestic servants were cut out of social security right at the start "because it simply wouldn't do to have white families paying taxes on their black maids. They did the same things to the administration's minimum wage bills."

This is the great Franklin Roosevelt. From this weeks book review section of his book "Fear Itself."

•  It's pointless (0+ / 0-)
                       This thread isn't about racism as an action with real world consequences. It's about racism as an abstract concept.

But then the entire concept is race is arbitrary and insane anyway.
                         The fact is that there is no scientific basis behind any of society's ideas for race. Thus the entire concept of race, has as much to do with logic as how you chose your favorite football team. Hence the idea of defining your own race.

You are 100% correct that racism is used to distract and divide us. It's very effective. But this thread is proof that some people aren't ready to have that discussion about race that Obama said we should have had back in 2009.
                        One day someone will have to take up this issue and discuss it in realistic terms, but it won't be today. If pointing out indisputable facts like skin color is "racism" then as a society we simply haven't evolved enough.

I'm done with this thread.

by gjohnsit on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:01:09 AM PDT

•  here is someone who will hurt blacks big time (1+ / 0-)
                        gjohnsit
                        Because if this president is willing to go after Social Security, the one federal program that is solvent, then there is truly nothing that is sacrosanct in terms of government that benefits ordinary people. Excepting, of course, a massive giveaway to the health insurance industry as government now acts as their chief salesperson. That will be preserved ... at least until the next Republican president. Which is probably now coming sooner than we think.
                        this is not arguing about the use of a word

this is a real attack

and also on the REC list we find

Rhetoric itself has consequences, even if it doesn't lead to legislation. Rhetoric communicates values. Rhetoric creates starting points for new battles ahead. And the rhetoric of cutting Social Security for no good reason is terrible for Democrats politically, and terrible for the country as a matter of public policy.
                        The Grand Bargain is bad policy. It's bad negotiating. It's bad eleventh dimensional chess, too
          •  This is a very good example (0+ / 0-)

of how Americans have distanced themselves from reality when it comes to race.
               It's also a good example of the reverse-culture shock I'm going to experience when I return.

The president does not get to define himself anymore than you or I do.
               The president could say that he is asian, or martian. That isn't going to make it true.
             The president is at best brown (something that a lot of African-Americans call themselves, BTW). In reality he's a mixed race, and honesty dictates that I refer to him as "mixed".

However, some Americans (including yourself) have a problem mixing honesty with race.

This thread is also a good warning for what I'm soon to experience. After two years of honesty when it comes to race, I'm going back to a place where honesty about race isn't welcome. It's something I had forgotten until this thread.
               I have to relearn this lesson because that is American culture.

by gjohnsit on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:59:53 AM PDT

•  I don't find it beneficial to discuss race (1+ / 0-)
              gjohnsit

in this way, on the internet, with people that you don't know and that don't know you.
              So much of our understanding of what people say and what they mean by it, even if the "wrong" words are used depends on facial expressions and other body language, knowing that persons day to day doings and just plain having that person in front of you face to face to hash it out.

The first and only time I misused the word boy was when I was 7 lying in bed in the hospital after having an operation to repair three hernias. The male nurse was a young black guy named Willy. He was the high point of the 3 days I was in that place. He made every moment he was in our section a joyful one, even though laughing was a painful experience for me at that time. One day he walked into our ward and said to me, "How's it going today, girl?" to which I replied, "It's going good, boy!" And man, did he let me have it.
              But within minutes it was all worked out. He understood right away that I did not know what I had done just from my facial expression and immediately swung from anger to wanting to educate me as to why he reacted the way he did. I didn't have to get defensive, or explain myself, he knew right away, and went right into explaining the meaning that the word boy had for him.
              I've never used it since in the way I did that day, not because it would make people mad but because I understood WHY.

I trust that you can come to the same end after some thinking about it on your own.

Slower growth in government benefits programs for the poor, veterans and the elderly. "It's a compromise I'm willing to accept."- Obama 4/06/13

by Burned on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 07:12:28 AM PDT

•  You are correct (1+ / 0-)
                Don midwest

It is pointless to discuss race here, as is proof by this thread.
                   And yet it is also proof that our country never had that "discussion about race" that it was supposed to have in 2009.

Point of fact is that this thread isn't actually about racism as an action that effects reality. It's about racism as an abstract concept. Yet not agreeing to someone else's idea of racism as a concept makes a person a "racist".

A good example is the idea that you can define yourself into a racial group, and questioning that definition makes you a racist.
                   I could arbitrarily define myself as black, or better yet, as some previously unknown racial group and no one could question it without being racist.
                  That's insanity.

But then the entire concept is race is arbitrary and insane anyway.

That's not to say there aren't real world consequences for those choices.
                   Wearing the wrong team jersey on game day will get you beaten up just as quickly as wearing the wrong skin color in certain groups.
                   But those are just illogical reactions anyway.

Thus I reject all of the statements regarding race in this thread.
                   To some here, the fact that I reject the entire concept of race makes me racist. But that sort of illogic doesn't surprise me, because I've been told here that I'm racist for pointing out someone's real skin color.

In the end, talking about race is like talking about religion in a bar: don't do it.

This will be my last statement about race here on DKos EVER.

by gjohnsit on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 08:51:39 AM PDT

•  I understand, most especially your last line. (1+ / 0-)
                  gjohnsit

But I suggest that if you are ever meet up with some of these same people, that you have a face to face about this misunderstanding between all of you. I have a feeling that it would come out much differently for most of the people participating in this thread and that everyone would come away with more understanding and respect for what each of you brought to the table. Each individual in this thread, from what I read here on this website, works actively with actual flesh and blood people to make this world a better place for everyone.

by Burned on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:20:06 AM PDT

•  disgusting! (2+ / 0-)
          shanikka, Denise Oliver Velez

nmt

•  If President Obama Says He's Black (1+ / 0-)
          Denise Oliver Velez

And he does--per his census form--then he's Black and nobody (especially not you who is not yourself either a member of his family or a member of his race) gets to say differently.  Get that? You don't get a vote.

So sorry that your feefees not getting to call the shots on this particular issue of what the President and other people of color name and claim for themselves in terms of racial identity are hurt.  Go tell it to your mama.  But you just don't get to do it. The fact that you insist upon it even after you've been told you can't no matter WHAT you think is white supremacy disease writ large.