View Diary: The Private Side of Republican Crazy (130 comments)

•  I do read and research about these things. (2+ / 0-)
    cotterperson, Penny GC

I am also a Jung fan. I am not a professional but I do believe my mother is suffering from borderline personality disorder in addition to paranoid narcisizm.

Here is one memory: I was in junior high preparing to go to school in the morning of the last day of the school year before the beginning of the long summer break during which I wouldn't see most of my classmates. So that day was important and we were to have food and fun and games and say goodbye to each other for the summer. My mother watched me get ready in excitement and just before I walked out the door she said I couldn't go since there were no classes scheduled that day.

That was it. I couldn't go. When my face sunk in horror I saw the quick glimpse of a malicious grin on her face. Yeah my emotional distress gave her pleasure. That was schadenfreude.

My deep distress gratified her.She liked hurting others.

Schadenfreude, especially at the expense of your child is "evil."

I am not sure if there is a remedy for that...

How did I survive? I read books. Many many books, classics, encyclopedias maps to dream about worlds.

I have a very rich imagination as the result ...:))

"Corruptio Optimi Pessima" (Corruption of the best is the worst)

by zenox on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:12:16 PM PDT

•  That's beyond schadenfreude. It's sadism. (3+ / 0-)
      cotterperson, zenox, Creosote

Your mother didn't merely enjoy your misfortune, she created it. Sounds like an incurable personality disorder to me.

"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom." -- Thomas Jefferson

by pianogramma on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:35:01 PM PDT

•  Yeah. I was too young to figure it out then (2+ / 0-)
        pianogramma, cotterperson

...but I knew something was deeply screwed up with what happened. Kids know.

I know now that "evil" has a need for hurting others for no reason other than hurting others. It feeds on it.  It is a choice. It is willful.

Today, what is happening in the Congress is the same kind. They know they are hurting people and they do it anyway not because they think it makes sense but because they can and it is gratifying to them.

Racism? Same. Desire for more wars? Same.  Koch brothers? Same? Scalia? Same. Cheney? Same.

Insanity? Yes. But willful. There is no remedy for fixing it unless a miracle comes from within. It is what it is. It is motivated by its desire to hurt others. That's where its nourishment comes from.

To me, human kind has one true enemy. And it is that, the one I faced as a kid.

It can show up anywhere, even in the guise of a mother.

Thank you all for reading. And don't worry for me. As the song goes, " what doesn't kill you make you stronger." I now want to put my experience in good use. By raising awareness of the damned thing.

"Corruptio Optimi Pessima" (Corruption of the best is the worst)

by zenox on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:01:07 PM PDT

•  How mean!! (1+ / 0-)
      zenox

I just can't imagine that, really, but I'm glad to hear you found other realities by reading! I'm a Jung fan myself and a former junior high remedial reading teacher to boot, so I especially admire your choice ;)

All the very best to you!

"Let each unique song be sung and the spell of differentiation be broken" - Winter Rabbit

by cotterperson on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 04:18:47 PM PDT

•  Thank you. (1+ / 0-)
        cotterperson

"Corruptio Optimi Pessima" (Corruption of the best is the worst)

by zenox on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:02:30 PM PDT

•  And yeah, the "private side of Republican" (1+ / 0-)
          cotterperson

...crazy" indeed.

A " crazy" for which there is no remedy until it gets old and dies...from natural causes.

We just have to learn from and survive it.

"Corruptio Optimi Pessima" (Corruption of the best is the worst)

by zenox on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:21:03 PM PDT