View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/10 (249 comments)

•  No, it was that bad (0+ / 0-)

He was openly suggesting that progressives somehow want to actually take away regular pistols and rifles from gunowners.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56:32 AM PDT

•  some want to (4+ / 0-)
      ArkDem14, bumiputera, lordpet8, gabjoh

I know my girlfriend thinks all guns should be banned.

by James Allen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 12:29:53 PM PDT

•  But nobody has proposed anything like that (2+ / 0-)
        James Allen, bumiputera

In Congress for, like, Decades.

•  yes, but that's not the point. (3+ / 0-)
          lordpet8, gabjoh, bumiputera

He was airing that ad to say "I'm one of us," not to say that he has colleagues who are threatening to ban all guns (though I'm sure there are members of congress who would if they could).

by James Allen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 01:10:25 PM PDT

•  I can second that. (4+ / 0-)
        James Allen, lordpet8, gabjoh, bumiputera

No lawmaker is making that kind of suggestion. But I've sat in some liberal rooms and heard the second amendment described as a "vestige of a bygone era." And "guns have no place in 21st century society."

•  Yup (2+ / 0-)
          Stephen Wolf, ArkDem14

I would think it would poll somewhere in the 20-30% range.    Don't really know for sure though.  Gun polling is kind of haphazard, question wording can massively change the results.

For instance, ABC found a majority, 51-46% for "banning semi-automatic handguns, which reload automatically each time they are fired".  But Princeton survey found support only 28 to 70% opposed for "banning the possession of handguns except by law enforcement officers", and CNN found just 12% for "all guns should be illegal except police and authorized personnel", but that one also allowed the "some restrictions" response which dominated at 70%, with just 17% for "no restrictions".

People seem to definitely favor a variety of controls and limits when named (just asking people if they are pro or anti gun control gets much closer to 50-50 results).  But I think a complete gun ban has comparatively little support.

•  I completely agree and I believe countries like (1+ / 0-)
          Audrid

France completely ban gun ownership and have much lower violence as a result. Sadly this country is just to enthralled with crony capitalism to follow suit as the polling has showed that the public is in favor of tighter gun restrictions and thinks they're already in place.

•  Japan allows gun ownership (3+ / 0-)
            Audrid, WisJohn, bumiputera

It's just extremely troublesome, and you have to fill out government forms if there's an inspection and your missing ammunition or the firearm is gone.

I'd like to regulate bullets more than firearms. Just limit the amount of ammunition anyone can own.

by ArkDem14 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 07:09:59 PM PDT

•  I didn't even know that (2+ / 0-)
              Audrid, ArkDem14

I've never heard of guns existing in Japan, ever. even the murders I hear about are by stabbing and strangling.

meanwhile, I have people assume that I own guns just because I'm American.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 08:28:33 PM PDT

•  What, you mean (0+ / 0-)

you don't have a rack of assault rifles waiting for the inevitable takeover of the Planned Parenthood Abortionplex?

•  I totally do (1+ / 0-)
                  ArkDem14

we gotta defend it against the anti-choicers!

Yes, it is bread we fight for -- but we fight for roses, too! | Pro-transit young black urban progressive | SSP/DKE | -9, -7.79 | MO-05: come for the jazz, stay for the burnt ends | Yard signs don't vote.

by gabjoh on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 05:25:16 AM PDT

•  Almost no one owns a gun in Japan (0+ / 0-)

I was reading a long article about in I think the New Yorker, and it even noted how it's illegal to fire your weapon anywhere in Japan.

by ArkDem14 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 02:34:17 PM PDT