View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/11 (269 comments)

•  NJ Gov: Christiecrats already undercutting Buono (4+ / 0-)
    DiVincenzo welcomed Gov. Chris Christie to West Orange this morning to open a new sea lion tank, and in the lead-up the county executive told the Star-Ledger that if Buono wanted to attend the event she could purchase a ticket.
    Assemblyman Jason O'Donnell, who earlier this week was called presumptive Democratic gubernatorial nominee Barbara Buono's first choice to take over as state chairman of the party, is a non-starter among party leaders in the state, a source told PolitickerNJ today.

"It's indicative of her failing campaign that she would choose someone like Assemblyman O'Donnell who would not be acceptable to several Democratic leaders around the state," a highly placed Democratic source said today, echoing the party dissension that has been evident throughout Buono's campaign.

Expect more of this.

•  claiming her scalp (7+ / 0-)

as Majority Leader wasn't enough...

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 07:26:56 AM PDT

•  Of course not, (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

New Jersey Democrats deserve Christie. Heck, technically most of them probably deserve some kind of jail time. What a messed up, crony-filled state full of self-serving assholes who have open content for the democratic structures.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:26:32 AM PDT

•  There are some of them (3+ / 0-)
          Stephen Wolf, ArkDem14, MichaelNY

that make me want to move to that county so I can work to vote them out of office in primaries.  Fortunately, Joe DiVencenzo isn't as strong as some fear.  As Dick Codey put it, twice his candidates for Newark School Board have lost and Joe D endorsed Robert Andrews for Senate in 2008 and we all know that Lautenberg utterly owned that primary in North Jersey.

"It is the stillest words that bring on the storm. Thoughts that come on doves' feet guide the world." -Nietzche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

by KingofSpades on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:11:35 AM PDT

•  I lived there most of my life (4+ / 0-)

BOTH parties have had opportunities of control to fix the state's severe mess. There are plenty of hacks on each side there.

•  well my .02 on politics is that you have to prove (0+ / 0-)

to me whether your worthy of my vote. My default setting is voting for democrats but there are times where a dem has not proved up to snuff for me and I will vote for the pub. That's often <10 percent of the time though.

RRH expat (known as AquarianLeft). Also known as freepcrusher on leip atlas forum

by demographicarmageddon on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 02:52:58 PM PDT

•  The (ostensible) reason being (4+ / 0-)
      As for why some leaders believe O'Donnell does not fit the bill of party leader, the source cited the Hudson County Assemblyman's role in an attempted overthrow of Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver.

A source close to Oliver agreed that O'Donnell's past, as well as his ties to Union County Assemblyman Joe Cryan, who was the architect of the move against Oliver, would no doubt be a stumbling block for the speaker.

"I wouldn't say the speaker would rule it out, but I don't know where this support would come from," the source said.

I'd be interested in some more background on these various feuds.

27, Dem, Dude seeing a dude, CT-04(originally), PA-02/NY-10 (formerly PA-02/NY-12, then PA-02/NY-14). Also at http://xenocrypt.blogspot.com.

by Xenocrypt on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:18:29 AM PDT

•  I read that and it makes me angry (8+ / 0-)

I know that Buono's not likely to win at all under current circumstance, but I'm willing to do my part to help.  A Rutgers Eagleton poll out yesterday showed that Christie's pop. is falling amongst Dems and almost all of Christie's spiked pop. is from Sandy and that with budget issues and social issues, the public is narrowly against him.  I don't care about the odds, I want to help and maybe stage an upset if we strike gold.  If some assholes like Stack and DiVencenzo can't be expected to obey party loyalty, they should be uprooted like trees.  I would understand this kind of behavior if the Dem nominee was a LaRouchie or a nutjob, but Buono is far from either.

by KingofSpades on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:15:07 AM PDT

•  I read that Dick Codey stuck up for Buono (8+ / 0-)

Good for him, I'm glad someone knows the score.
      As for Booker, he's been bogged down with fundraisers, but he did a meet-and-greet with Buono across Newark and with civic leaders.  I want him to play an active role as time goes by.  He has nothing to lose by helping her.  If he was able to raise 70K at a fundraiser for Asm. Troy Singleton in a friggin diner, imagine what Booker could do for Buono.

by KingofSpades on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:18:04 AM PDT

•  Are New Jersey Dem legislators crazy? (2+ / 0-)
      BeloitDem, MichaelNY

They know that embracing Christie will lead to their party's defeat, they should be fighting him at every turn. This Christiecrat tendency is insane. Yeah, Christie is popular, but that won't last unless the NJ Dems let it.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:32:40 AM PDT

•  Despite Christie's numbers... (4+ / 0-)
        ArkDem14, lordpet8, JBraden, MichaelNY

Democrats still lead the generic legislative ballot and with a Dem-favoring leg. map as further safeguard, there's less stress.  To them, their only concern is keeping Dem turnout above 2009 and count on a fair number of Dem voters voting for Christie and voting Dem elsewhere (as polls indicate).  Also, Christie hasn't promised much help at all to legislative Republicans and they're mostly on their own.  Also, as for what you said, it's not like most Democratic legislators support Christie, just Sen. Stack and a few others.  Joe DiVencenzo is County Exec of ultra-blue Essex County so he has nothing to fear.  Booker, Dick Codey, Loretta Weinberg, and Speaker Oliver have all endorsed and willing to stump for Buono.

by KingofSpades on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:39:08 AM PDT

•  wait (0+ / 0-)

you mean Oliver and Buono aren't mortal enemies?!?!

:O

Stack is pretty incredible, no way most people in ~80% Obama districts could kiss that much Republican ass and get away with it.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 10:41:46 PM PDT

•  politicians are often self-interested (3+ / 0-)
        BeloitDem, Stephen Wolf, MichaelNY

and don't give much of a damn about the welfare of the party or their fellow Dems.

by James Allen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 10:32:16 AM PDT