View Diary: What's Happenin'? 4.8.13 Hell No! No Grand Bargain (101 comments)

•  USSA - where laws are only for the commoners (10+ / 0-)

Biggest world financial collapse in history due to bankster malfeasance and no one goes to jail, no investigations, no prosecutions.

But you better pay your speeding tickets or they are coming for YOU. A civil society depends on rule of law.

"It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." - Morpheus

by CitizenOfEarth on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:37:50 AM PDT

•  I was reading over the week-end that a warrant (5+ / 0-)

for arrest can be issued if you fail to show up in court on a civil action.

How can that be and how long has that been legal?

A "bodily attachment," sounds really ominious, so do they really go out and arrest you and throw you in jail if you do not show up in court in a civil action?

And in lieu of a subpoena, they can just send a summons/subpoena by registered mail?

A civil society depends on rule of law.
      I was subpoened years ago in a civil case, by personal delivery of the "summons, and I called my attorney to re-schedule which was done, but my attorney made them re-subpoena, again was done by personal service.

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:54:28 AM PDT

•  More fodder for the Prison Industrial Complex (4+ / 0-)

gotta fill those Profit producing jail cells. Got lots of Prison Slave Labor jobs to fill which produce more profit for the PIC.

by CitizenOfEarth on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 07:08:41 AM PDT

•  Because (4+ / 0-)

it is consider comtempt of court not to show up when you receive a subpoena.  It is disobeying an order from the court.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 08:34:10 AM PDT

•   receive a subpoena? (3+ / 0-)
          joe shikspack, zaka1, CitizenOfEarth

what happened to "serving" a subpoena may be more to my point.

Mailing it out by regular mail and registered mail now considered by courts to be service of subpoena?

How things have changed.

Service of summons should be an actual service on a person, "if" we still are operating under the rule of law.

And given the current DOJ, that is a BF if.

by allenjo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 08:50:58 AM PDT

•  I'm sorry (0+ / 0-)

I missed the part about mailing.  In the late 1990s I worked in an ER for child abuse.  I had left the hospital for another job and had gone on vacation with my sister.  Upon my arrival home I had subpoenas stuck to my apartment door for a child abuse case that was going to trial and on my answer machine the State Attorney left a message that I would be arrested if I did not answer the subpoena.  I remember calling him crying because I was not notified by the hospital that this case was going to trial, I had left their employment.  And I had been out of town for almost a week without ever seeing the subpoens until I arrived home and found them taped to my door.  All ended well, but it scared the crap out of me and they never served me in person since I was out of town.

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 12:15:18 PM PDT

•  You know I had forgotten this - but I actually (2+ / 0-)
              CitizenOfEarth, zaka1

forgot to show up in court once.

My office has been burglarized, the police found the items stolen in a pawn shop, arrested the suspect, and I was supposed to testify.

About 10 am that morning I checked my appointment book and low and behold......

So I called the states attorneys office and explained. They said we really didn't need you anyway.

Good to know they didn't issue a warrant for my arrest ;)

by allenjo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 12:34:16 PM PDT