View Diary: Having gun dealers process private sales would, in a sane world, end impasse on background checks (129 comments)

•  When our legislature (32+ / 0-)

can't pass something supported by 90% of the public, maybe it's time to realize that the country has become ungovernable. Not by accident, but by design.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 08:44:45 AM PDT

•  In this case I think it was overshooting on (5+ / 0-)
      paradise50, MBNYC, raincrow, FrankRose, BachFan

the AWB, which didn't make it and most knew it awhile ago, thus killing the momentum. There was a LOT of momentum post-Newtown and Obama kept it up, and I think should a universal backgound check bill been submitted to the floor then, it'd be passed already. There were some here who predicted pretty much exactly that, but were out-shouted by those who were rightfully upset and wanted to go for the home run instead of get on base, and it looks more and more like we've struck out completely.

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:26:09 AM PDT

•  Yep (5+ / 0-)

I never understood why Democrats and Liberals focused so much on AWB and magazine limits when neither had a chance in hell of passing and were very divisive, even amongst Democrats. All the attention and focus should have been out into UBC or adding more background checks and perhaps more mental health funding, which are less divisive and have a much better shot of getting enacted into law.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:40:07 AM PDT

•  ...because AR-15's were the guns used in... (5+ / 0-)

...Aurora and Sandy Hook. Not too hard to understand the desire to get this type of weapon banned to be sold in the future...

I never understood why Democrats and Liberals focused so much on AWB

Ignorance is bliss only for the ignorant. The rest of us must suffer the consequences.

by paradise50 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:43:41 AM PDT

•  I understand the desire, even if I disagree (5+ / 0-)

My point is it was never going to happen. Why focus so much on something that never had a chance of passing? Why focus on something so divisive? Why not focus on an area with overwhelming public support from all political spectrums?

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:52:04 AM PDT

•  Not to mention the SCOTUS declarations against (1+ / 0-)
              FrankRose

both banning a class of guns and against those in common use.  The only reason that some states have these laws tentatively on the books is because of how the legal process works in this nation: a law is a lawn until it's not, meaning it is assumed valid until it is struck down or repealed.

•  The class at issue in Heller... (4+ / 0-)

...was much larger than the ones covered by the AWB. And with all the exceptions in the AWB, it's very, very hard to make the case that it was a class prohibition. You can claim the prohibitions are arbitrary, but not really that they're class-encompassing to the degree that the handgun regulations at issue in Heller were.

"Speaking for myself only" - Armando

by JR on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:12:48 AM PDT

•  Single Payer never had a chance in hell of (1+ / 0-)
              WakeUpNeo

passing either but a vocal group of DKos members certainly thought that the President and Democrats should have fought harder for it.  Is there a difference?

I've been coming to DKos since May 2008 and I still don't have a sig line. Oh well.....

by CrissieP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:43:28 PM PDT

•  Very similar, yes (0+ / 0-)

I actually support single payer, but I knew it had no chance of passing, so I figured the best option would be for Democrats to support something that could get done like Obamacare.  It's similar to gun regulation. Obama and other Dems put a lot of political capital into health care, which probably cost him in other areas like jobs, financial reform, and immigration.  I'm afraid that too much of a push on new gun regulations will hurt other areas that we need to focus on, much like health care did in 2009.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 04:48:09 PM PDT

•  Bingo. (6+ / 0-)

That's just one specific example, but there are so many more. The country doesn't want SS cuts, presto, in the budget proposal they are. We like things like good public education, what do we get, charter schools and kids leaving college with worthless degrees and six-figure debts. Our national parks are a treasure beyond price, on the days that they're open. We are the Land of the Free, with the largest prison population on earth.

Something is deeply, systemically wrong in America, and I don't know that we can fix it.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:03:12 AM PDT

•  Without UBC being proposed with AWB & (2+ / 0-)
        noway2, wishbone

magazine restrictions, I think UBC would have passed with little issue.
        Now trust is gone. Why should people believe that a UBC wouldn't be usurped to ban guns, when the plan that was proposed alongside UBC specifically included a ban on guns?

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:25:28 AM PDT

•  Most telling comment here. (3+ / 0-)
      paradise50, MBNYC, Smoh

Mayan Word For 'Apocalypse' Actually Translates More Accurately As "Time Of Pale Obese Gun Monsters."......the Onion

by lyvwyr101 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:31:32 AM PDT

•  This is a good example (8+ / 0-)

of why, even when the timing is right, strategic thinking about how talk about, present, write and then debate legislation is really important.

Stuff doesn't just "get voted on" because the public supports it.  It never really has.

The fact that we all believe it should, however, is interesting.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:02:11 AM PDT

•  One big problem, imo, is that Harry Reid... (2+ / 0-)
        Eric Nelson, a gilas girl

...didn't put the screws to Dianne Feinstein in January and tell her to wait on AWB introduction until the UBC was far along. In my view, she elbowed her way into the queue and tainted, to some extent, the entire debate by focusing attention on the least likely bill to pass. A limit on the capacity of ammunition magazines would not only have had a better chance, it would also have been more effective practically.

But it's not all Feinstein's (and Reid's) fault. Extremists among gun-rights advocates oppose any new laws that don't loosen gun regulations. And they seem to still have the majority of Congress, when the Senate and House are taken together, in their thrall.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 12:44:18 PM PDT