View Diary: When God is Least Expected (160 comments)

•  My husband & I were talking about the phrase: (9+ / 0-)

"finding the Lord" as in, "this was before I found the Lord," or "after I found the Lord," or "they hadn't found the Lord."

We heard it a lot from a few people over the weekend at a retreat we attended, and there was something off-putting about it that he and I took the time and trouble to put our fingers on.

We agreed the phrase is off-putting because of its presumption of intentionality, of looking around, peeking under seat cushions or in closets and finally saying "Aha, I've found the Lord!"

It's been my experience that it's more a matter of stumbling into it, of our becoming aware of something that's been there all along.  Something happens to make us see connections, a Big Picture that goes as quickly as it came, like the waters of the ocean parting for just an instant to reveal the connectedness beneath the waves.  Once seen, it can't be unseen, even if we never get another glimpse.

I find God is always present when we least expect him.
    When, and where.  :-)

"The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another." ~ George Bancroft (1800-1891)

by JBL55 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:52:35 AM PDT

•  It is conceited. (0+ / 0-)

Self-congratulatory. As I remarked above, perhaps that's the sole basis of all religious sentiment.

"They smash your face in, and say you were always ugly." (Solzhenitsyn)

by sagesource on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 12:29:59 PM PDT

•  There is little to be self-congratulatory about .. (4+ / 0-)
        bogieshadow, dfarrah, niemann, Tonedevil

... when it comes to comprehending the incomprehensible.

As someone said, we live life forward and understand it backwards.  All any of us has a right to be is humble in the face of infinity and unanswerable questions.

And as Bertrand Russell said, the trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

But I guess that makes me self-congratulatory.  :-)

by JBL55 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 01:34:33 PM PDT

•  So much of this thread is about word games (2+ / 0-)
          Tonedevil, JBL55

"Comprehending the incomprehensible" is nonsense. If you comprehend it, it isn't incomprehensible.

"Atheism is a faith" and not playing badminton is a real workout.

"Finding the Lord" and finding a gift from Santa Claus under the Christmas tree.

And so on.

The only question worth asking a Tea Party Republican is "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

by ebrann on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 02:42:24 PM PDT

•  I mis-spoke. (1+ / 0-)
            ebrann

I meant to say, "attempting to comprehend the incomprehensible," the phrase I use 99 44/100% of the time I talk about this.

Thanks for bringing my mistake to my attention.  :-)

by JBL55 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 07:08:08 AM PDT

•  It says "I'm Divinely entitled and you are not." (1+ / 0-)
        Tonedevil

Since you cannot know God as I do, and will not, unless God chooses to save you like God chose me. This entitlement is to judge the angels of Heaven, discern all evil, judge the quick and the dead, making judgments on this world's situations Below that are concurred with Above in Heaven, to share in a special Child of God status the same as Jesus. There is no other valid or ultimate relationship of human to God other than what they have and all humans are 'Eternally lost' until, if and when, they have that relationship. It is the only way to experience God's love, peace and joy.  It is The Most Exclusive Relationship of a Soul to God in the Universe possible. And, part of the deal is, they must 'witness' with all possible sincerity and persuasive power to this special relationship to any with whom they gain the opportunity to do so, in order for it to be valid. They must keep trying to 'win souls' until God's secret number of The Total Number of Humans To Be Saved is attained, at which point God hits the Eject Button for Planet Earth and makes a new one for the saved to inhabit.

When life gives you wingnuts, make wingnut butter!

by antirove on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 01:55:03 PM PDT

•  It may be that (3+ / 0-)
      JBL55, tikkun, bogieshadow

the phrase, 'I found God', means as the song, Amazing Grace, goes 'I was lost, but now I'm found."

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:08:46 PM PDT

•  You may be right ... (0+ / 0-)

... but when it's not phrased as it is in "Amazing Grace," one gets the impression it's all about the speaker.

by JBL55 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:15:58 PM PDT