View Diary: 15-Year Old Rape/Abuse Victim Sentenced, Under Sharia Law, To Public Lashing For 'Fornication' (94 comments)

•  Not sure. It was the photo that caught my eye. (1+ / 0-)
    MeToo

And it's used on many sites for this story, but obviously it's not the young girl in reference, for she has only been sentenced, thus far.  I haven't been able to find the credit yet. If I can't find one, I'll replace it.

In the face of darkness - be the light.

by Leslie Salzillo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 08:12:36 PM PDT

•  It is the photo used on the petition site (2+ / 0-)
      Leslie Salzillo, OleHippieChick

Spend a moment there everyone and sign a few more... there is so much suffering. And yes, State Departments worldwide should be shouting about human rights.

The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution. Paul Cezanne

by MeToo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:36:07 PM PDT

•  The question is if the (1+ / 0-)
        Be Skeptical

..photo is reflecting a real event or a scene from a movie. There are certain "anti-Islam" groups that use scenes from movies to trigger negative emotions against Islam.

That does not mean what happened in Maldives is not real and that religious laws interpreted by fanatic extremists are not horrendeus especially when it comes to patriarchi.

The photo however is manipulative if not a shot of a real event.

"Corruptio Optimi Pessima" (Corruption of the best is the worst)

by zenox on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 03:04:54 AM PDT

•  I removed the original photo from the diary. (4+ / 0-)

I removed it because I could not find an actual credit, and because it seemed to disturb several people here. I understand the sentiment, I do.

I have replaced it with my own painting, which was inspired after watching the Stoning of Soraya M. It's called, The Rising of Soraya M. (What Does That Make Her)' and it depicts the rising of Soraya's spirit and the spirit of women and their rights around the world. If you look close you will see an image of Rush Limbaugh holding a stone behind his back, intended for Sandra Fluke, who is also in the painting. The poppies represent the blood shed by women around the world including the U.S.

Photo Updated

The painting is meant to evoke strength and hope.

It was commissioned by Writer and (TED/NPR) speaker, Dan Ariely, and his Center For Advanced Hindsight at Duke University. I did not replace the photo to bring attention to myself. It was the only image I had available that would tie into this diary and one of which I own copyrights. I am very proud of it.

Personally, I don't feel the first photo I posted (here) was manipulative. Disturbing yes. I'm putting it in this comment for reference only.
          I've done research on the treatment of women under Sharia Law and the Taliban. Actual photos of the atrocities committed against women and young girls, are easy to find on the internet, and will blow your mind. I would not post them here. Some made me physically, as well as emotionally, ill. The actual images are incredible and represent the truth about some horrendous ancient laws that need to be exposed, in hopes the laws can be amended and women will no longer suffer under them.

This is a not Muslim thing. It is about crimes against women. The Bible's Old Testament also contains some some horrific laws and treatment against women. But most are no longer practiced. Both the Bible's Old Testament and parts of Sharia Law were written in ancient times and do not apply to women today.

I didn't mean to go on and one in this comment. As you can see, I'm quite passionate about the subject of women and girls who are treated less than human. I believe most of us here feel the same.

In the face of darkness - be the light.

by Leslie Salzillo on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 05:20:50 AM PDT

•  Brilliant choice for a substitute image (0+ / 0-)

well done.  The image of the poppies evokes multiple responses.

I will agree that this "is about crimes against women."  I will disagree that it "is a not Muslim thing."  It most definitely is.

It was a punishment based on Sharia law, which is the law of the land in the Maldives.  Sure, the Old Testament contains some pretty nasty stuff--but those laws are long dead, as they should be.  Not so in many Muslim countries though.  The barbarism in the nasty old books is considered just as valid today as it was when someone made it all up 1400 years ago.

When I see mass demos by Muslims against acts like this my opinion might start changing.  Even the regular Dkos Muslim posters rarely comment on these things.  Wonder why?

•  You say it was from 1400 years ago (0+ / 0-)

right?

And the old testament going back further also contain extreme bigotry against women?

OK.

You argue that Islam as a religion in general is suspect while Christianity and Judaism are not simply because what is written in the old testament is no longer applied while the text from 1400 years ago still is ( not all Muslim communities apply to Sharia today BTW)?

To me it is the individuals and the communities who commit these crimes under the guise of one religion or other shouldbe the blame instead of the equally old and the disturbing dogmasunless we are blaming them all equally for what they have in their origins.
              When you selectively generalize one religion as the cause of something that is obviously more universal whether it was followed in the past or currently however then you are making a fallacious and bigoted claim.

"Corruptio Optimi Pessima" (Corruption of the best is the worst)

by zenox on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:06:26 AM PDT

•  The laws of the Old Testament are not "long dead." (1+ / 0-)
              JDsg

There is no country today where the laws of the Old Testament are the law of the land -- but they are still practiced, within limits imposed by various state laws, by religious Jews everywhere.  Some of them (not many) are practiced by Christians as well.

If there were a Jewish or Christian theocracy anywhere in the world, there is no telling what it would look like.

Personally, I'm glad there isn't -- and I'm religious.

•  Because... (0+ / 0-)
              ...some of us have a much better grasp of what shari'ah is and isn't. Because some of us have a much better understanding of how fiqh is applied in Muslim societies.  Because some of us know how much force is applied for a Muslim lashing.  (I would much rather receive 100 lashes from an Islamic court that would require a couple of aspirin afterwards and doesn't break the skin than receive three strokes of the cane in either Singapore or Malaysia that may take weeks to heal and permanent scars.)  Because some of us don't engage in knee-jerk responses because we lack understanding.

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 06:30:03 PM PDT

•  Fabulous painting. Thank you (2+ / 0-)
            Be Skeptical, Leslie Salzillo

for sharing it. It made big difference.

"Corruptio Optimi Pessima" (Corruption of the best is the worst)

by zenox on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:08:02 AM PDT