View Diary: 15-Year Old Rape/Abuse Victim Sentenced, Under Sharia Law, To Public Lashing For 'Fornication' (94 comments)

•  I basically agree, and was writing my my comment (1+ / 0-)
    43north

above (with the one with two images) as you were writing yours.

Again, this is about crimes against women and girls. It's not about Muslims. The Old Testament in the Bible also contains some some pretty horrific laws against women as well, and thank goodness they are no longer practiced today. The point is, there are many parts of the Bible and Sharia Law, that having bee written in ancient times, are hateful towards women, and have absolutely no place in today's society.

The sentence being imposed on this young girl is barbaric and degrading, and I believe it needs to be stopped and this law needs to be amended. Writing about it and signing the petition is one thing I can do.

We have some pretty bad laws here, especially those restricting and demeaning women's reproductive rights and laws that do not adequately protect women from domestic violence or rape.sexual assault. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about being publicly flogged for fornication,  or worry about being stoned for having children out of wedlock or being falsely accused of adultery.

In the face of darkness - be the light.

by Leslie Salzillo on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 06:44:30 AM PDT

•  Old Testament Law and Sharia Law (0+ / 0-)

Both are old, though most of the Old Testament is well over 1,000 years older.  But nowhere on earth does the Old Testament serve as the sole basis for justice, unlike Sharia law.  Do you really want to compare what Jews did 2,600 years ago and what happened in the Maldives last week?

•  The comparison is only in the writings (1+ / 0-)
        Be Skeptical

and how they are applied.

Laws from any religious/political writing, that scorn, degrade or treat women or any person sub-human are wrong, period. And they need to be exposed.

Under Hitler's religious writing, millions of Jews were slaughtered. In Rwanda, a genocide occurred by using religious writings to massacre. Crimes and atrocities used in the name of religions go back to the beginning of time.

I believe the basic Muslim religion of today originated in love and goodness, as do most religions. The crime comes when people fuck up and misuse the writings, for their own agenda to degrade, hate, and kill.

The point here is:

Some of the ancient barbaric laws under Sharia are being applied and carried out today by disgusting people. Sadly, a sentence of 100 lashes for fornication, which is carried out on 90% of women, (see diary) only touches on what Muslim women face under the same law.

When something is clearly wrong, it should be discussed not just to criticize, but in a way to discover and create solutions.

In the face of darkness - be the light.

by Leslie Salzillo on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 02:55:05 PM PDT

•  Fair enough.............eom (1+ / 0-)
          Leslie Salzillo
        •  whoa, (0+ / 0-)

Islam originated in love and forgiveness? What?

Maybe you should read about the life of mohammed. He was a warlord, he forced his followers to let him marry their wives and daughters, married a 7 year old, killed lots of people....

Hey, sounds just like Jesus, right?

Your effort to sound non-judgmental has rendered you a clown.

And did you compare the struggle for women to get free contraceptives here in America to the plight of women living under sharia? Yes, yes you did.

Wow, I think I'm done here.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 05:45:48 AM PDT

•  @HBuddy (1+ / 0-)
            Be Skeptical

You say:

Your effort to sound non-judgmental has rendered you a clown.
            Firstly, there is no need for name calling. It's unnecessary and offensive.

I am most certainly judgmental about many Sharia Laws. If you read my diary and comments you will see this. That is why I wrote this diary --to expose some of the laws I feel are barbaric -- and show how they try to silence women/girls and step on basic human rights (including choice of sexuality) around the world. At the same time I do not condemn all Islamic religion. That would be like taking some of the ridiculous or dated passages from the Bible and assuming they describe all of Christianity. There is no all or nothing to any religion.

You say:

No, no, I did not. You have twisted my words. Did you read the entire paragraph? I was making a point that there is no comparison when it comes to extreme Sharia laws.

I said:

We have some pretty bad laws here, especially those restricting and demeaning women's reproductive rights and laws that do not adequately protect women from domestic violence or rape/sexual assault. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about being publicly flogged for fornication,  or worry about being stoned for having children out of wedlock or being falsely accused of adultery.
            In reading the comments in this thread, the words and opinions of many, including yours, have been twisted, and accusations have been wrongly made in haste to make an argument. Ironically, there seems to be a a common agreement here.

You're preaching to the choir.

I believe I need to stick to writing my diaries and moving on, staying out of my own comment threads. There will be people who agree and disagree --and some will disagree disrespectfully. As long as I do my best to write from a place of honesty, I need not defend my stance.

In the face of darkness - be the light.

by Leslie Salzillo on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 01:38:38 PM PDT

•  You're right, Leslie, (2+ / 0-)
              Leslie Salzillo, Be Skeptical

I'm splitting hairs. We are on the same side. And I would like to retract the clown comment. :) sorry.

There's plenty of work to do all over and here I am harassing you about a simile. Have a good night.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 04:04:38 PM PDT

•  Thank you, HeyBuddy. Apology Accepted (1+ / 0-)
                Be Skeptical

I have seen your passion throughout this thread and have no doubt we stand together on any kind of cruel human oppression - by any religion.

In the face of darkness - be the light.

by Leslie Salzillo on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 04:17:10 PM PDT