View Diary: Obama Doesn't Really Mean It... or does he? (203 comments)

•  Just my opinion: (8+ / 0-)

He knows what he wants.

The public "positions" are purposely vague to keep us guessing. Harder to fight something you are guessing about.

But he is going directly down the path that he wants. And he's being very skillful about manipulating all the players -- politicians, media, lobbyists, party members, everyone -- to get to his goals.  He is nothing if not determined.

Only a massive uproar over this can derail this Social Security proposal. But don't be surprised to see it raise its ugly head in a backroom deal "negotiated" to solve some current or future "crisis."

by YucatanMan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:19:37 PM PDT

•  I know I ramble (6+ / 0-)

at times, brain surgery does that to you, but from the very beginning I knew Obama was a corporatist, another Oprah production.  And my concern was that corporatists do not believe in the Democratic way and they don't care about the people.  HRC was the same candidate and I don't believe things would have been any different with her being President.  She lost me when she kept saying "corporations are people," God I hate that saying.  I knew he would side with the corporations and screw the people.  It was just a gut feeling, but here we are now facing what we were trying to avoid by voting for Democrats.  I wanted a different candidate in 2012 and I felt before the election that he was trying to cut benefits.  But the choices we had weren't choices.

I would think this is just another bad President, but when you look all around the world all other governments are doing the same austerity crap and I have to ask why?  What is really going on because this can't be the new normal, it just can't.  I feel, at times, like the people are being corralled into poverty and something is terribly wrong with those in power.

I don't trust him, and I think there is a massive world wide uproar coming if this bullshit isn't put to an end.  The people have had enough.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:30:53 PM PDT

•  Here's how stupid Americans are. (5+ / 0-)

When they are sick of Obama's triangulation, dithering and moves to the right, they will vote for Republicans. Or we can look forward to Hillary, a frightening prospect.

"You can die for Freedom, you just can't exercise it"

by shmuelman on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:40:42 PM PDT

•  The problem isn't that Americans aren't as smart (11+ / 0-)

as they should be. The problem is that the system is designed to give them a choice between two corporatist candidates: one pro-war and anti-woman, the other marginally less so.

The system is designed to make non-crazy people think that they must vote for Democrats. This is why "serious people" continually treat the idea of a third party with contempt, or ignore it altogether.

American exceptionalism is America's road to perdition.

by Alexandre on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 12:14:04 AM PDT

•  Exactly, (1+ / 0-)
          Alexandre

plus many people have grown up believing that their higher ups have authority over them, that the higher ups know more than them, and they were taught not to question those individuals because it was always assumed they knew better than the average person.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:48:46 AM PDT

•  So then, where is OUR candidate for 2016? (1+ / 0-)
        zaka1

I keep scanning the horizons but I don't see anyone except Biden and Hillary.

I see them coming across the barren field.

•  But, Americans are (1+ / 0-)
        shmuelman

not stupid, many of them.  Some are very native because they grew up being able to trust their government to make the right decisions and policies to protect them.  It wasn't at least to me, until the 1970s that government began to show how corrupt it could be and a lot of that came from the Nixon adminstration.  However, many just thought it was the "person," Nixon who was corrupt, but not the whole body of government.

My parents grew up during the Great Depression, they, who are now in their 80s, trusted their government because of FDR.  For a number of years government continue toward betterment for all.  The Kennedys, MLK, even LBJ pushed civil rights through at the expense of his own presidency.  Nothing was perfect, but we were moving forward.

Fast forward to today and it is such a big mess and I truly believe people are more confused than stupid and that is because both parties are so corrupt that neither can produce a decent leader.  And sad to say that when I hear people speak and repeat things that aren't true I know they are listening to the media like Fox News because they don't know how to form their own opinions because they were never taught to.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:46:09 AM PDT