View Diary: The Strange Democratic Cult of Saint Ronnie is bad Enough. Now Saint Maggie, too? (159 comments)

•  Yeah, but she was the Prime Minister (9+ / 0-)

of one of our major allies.  So I think it is appropriate for him to have said something. I just wish that rather than this:

"Michelle and I send our thoughts to the Thatcher family and all the British people as we carry on the work to which she dedicated her life—free peoples standing together, determined to write our own destiny."
    It was more like this:
    "Michelle and I send our thoughts to the Thatcher family."
    But then again, for a politician who wants to cut the safety net and strengthen the national security state, perhaps in Orwellian newspeak his actual statement is more appropriate.
    •  I could--grudgingly--live with your revision. (7+ / 0-)

Would the President have eulogized Stalin though--another of our "major allies," once upon a time?

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 07:52:44 AM PDT

•  And did Sir Alec Douglas-Home (6+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, corvo, RFK Lives, techno, cslewis, 3goldens

get a eulogy delivered by the President of the United States? James Callaghan? Edward Heath?

No, they didn't. This is about Obama's visceral need to genuflect to the Right at every chance.

"Violence never requires translation, but it often causes deafness." - Bareesh the Hutt.

by Australian2 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 07:55:28 AM PDT

•  I agree with you in terms of what Obama (3+ / 0-)
        RFK Lives, tardis10, JesseCW

said.  My point is solely that political relations sometimes require certain niceties that can be observed without the right-wing genuflection that he did.

•  I think that we're all roughly in agreement here (4+ / 0-)

Both Callaghan and Heath died in 2005, and I don't recall W noting either death.  Granted, Thatcher was a much more noteworthy figure than either of them--almost totally in a negative sense.

Basic diplomatic niceties required the president to say something, and I suspect that Biden and/or Kerry will attend the funeral.  There was no obligation, however, for Obama to say things that I really hope that he was lying about.  As I noted above, I fear that he wasn't lying.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 08:25:23 AM PDT

•  BTW, let's not forget Thatcher's comments on ANC (8+ / 0-)

in 1987:

When the ANC says that they will target British companies. This shows what a typical terrorist organisation it is. I fought terrorism all my life and if more people fought it, and we were all more successful, we should not have it and I hope that everyone in this hall will think it is right to go on fighting terrorism. They will if they believe in democracy
            WTF is the president talking about w/ his "free people" comment?

by RFK Lives on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 08:31:32 AM PDT

•  Thatcher was the 1st woman PM, makes her different (0+ / 0-)

She was a monster, but the fact that she was the first woman to lead the US's closest ally, that makes her (unfortunately) much more significant than 3 dead white guys who hadn't held power in 20-30 years when they died.

Like it or not, Thatcher being a woman automatically makes her more "historic" than Heath, Callaghan & Douglas-Home.

Plus, she was the longest serving PM of the 20th century, serving much longer than those 3.

So it should be expected that she gets more of a tribute than the other 3 mentioned.  And said tribute shouldn't be interpreted as praise for everything she ever said & done.

•  The it shouldn't have included praise for (0+ / 0-)

her insane politics.

It didn't have to.  This shit is written by pro's who put a lot of time into it.

It would have been very easy to simply praise her personally as being dedicated, passionate, ect. without claiming that the brutality she unleashed upon the world was part of any fight for freedom.

Michelle and I send our thoughts to the Thatcher family and all the British people as we carry on the work to which she dedicated her life" President Obama, on the passing of Margaret Thatcher.

by JesseCW on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 06:13:57 PM PDT

•  And that really cool Canadian guy (0+ / 0-)

who died recently...damn, what was his name? Canadian Kossacks, help me out. Famous Canadian progressive.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 09:16:15 AM PDT

•  Of course it is (0+ / 0-)

[pats hands]

There there.

Why indulge in simple human decency when the are caskets to be shit into?

Dailykos: Your one stop ODS shop.

•  Wow. (1+ / 0-)
          JesseCW

Both patronising and dodging the question. Two for one!

by Australian2 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:52:36 AM PDT

•  Simple human decency... like Thatcher showed (5+ / 0-)

precisely no one. She epitomized all that's worst about the human species. Good fucking riddance.

I prefer not to eulogize monsters. YMMV of course.

Oh, and ODS? Really? So you think I'd applaud some other President for eulogizing the Iron Lady, I just won't praise this one for it?

You base that bizarre conclusion on what, exactly?

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:58:19 AM PDT

•  People misunderstand what ODS consists of, (4+ / 0-)
            PhilJD, 3goldens, RFK Lives, JesseCW

and who suffers from it.

Ironic that the Bush Derangement Syndrome, to describe rabid supporters of King George the Insane Clown, is now used by our Republican agenda supporters here.

If Republicans said every 3rd person named "Smith" should hang, we'd bargain them to every 7th. Then we'll see apologia written praising this most pragmatic compromise. There's our losing formula.

by Jim P on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:05:56 AM PDT

•  You cannot control what Maggie Thatcher did. (0+ / 0-)

You can control what PhilJd says.