View Diary: Chained CPI could kill this grand bargain, but what about the next one? (125 comments)

•  and this was the desired outcome (3+ / 0-)

To make the next election about stopping this insanity. The GOP wanted nothing specific for 2014, it was all under the guise of "cuts". Obama did what he had to do IMO, to make it a specific thing for people to get riled up about.

And no this is not chess, this is politics 101. It is as old as dirt.

GOP- Fact Free since 1981!

by KingGeorgetheTurd on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:37:54 AM PDT

•  Maybe. I tend to take the president at his word, (3+ / 0-)
      tardis10, Mr MadAsHell, mallyroyal

and he basically has said this was the least bad concession in his mind.  I disagree on the substance of his premise: that he must make a concession on social security, but he's been pretty consistent on this.   If it is a greater plan, it would not change our conduct.  We still need to fight.  So regardless of Barack Obama's motives, good or not, our actions are the same: raise hell!

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by TomP on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:41:17 AM PDT

•  only its never a concession till (2+ / 0-)
        joe from Lowell, Beetwasher

it is. So far it has never panned out because it is all rhetoric. If you take politicians at their word, brace yourself for the next 18 months.

GOP- Fact Free since 1981!

by KingGeorgetheTurd on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:48:39 AM PDT

•  Why would you take a politician at his word? (5+ / 0-)

That seems like a really terrible way to go about understanding politics.  Talk is cheap. Politicians posture for all sorts of reasons. If you want to know what they're really about, look at their actions, their records.

You're right in your final analysis, though: whatever Obama's strategy is, it can only benefit our political discourse to have a loud reminder of what the term "third rail" means.  That means talking about Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, though, not talking smack about President Obama.  Look at how the AARP handled it back during the debt ceiling and fiscal cliff talks.  They didn't make personal attacks about Barack Obama being a terrible person who wants to hurt people, but stayed focused on the subject of the programs and the people they help.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:56:31 AM PDT

•  Imagine That! A DEBATE About SS Going Into The (2+ / 0-)
          KingGeorgetheTurd, gratis4

'14 elections!

I for one would welcome such a debate! It might even get me very motivated to go out and vote for every Dem I could get my hands on who's running on protecting SS from cuts!

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:16:08 AM PDT

•  and that was (1+ / 0-)
            Beetwasher

the whole idea in a nutshell. When Pelosi and Obama were the only two dems saying CPI, the only thought I had was, now who are the right wings two most vile rallying names during an election???

GOP- Fact Free since 1981!

by KingGeorgetheTurd on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:20:06 AM PDT

•  And Again, Obama Controls The Debate (1+ / 0-)
              KingGeorgetheTurd

He completely boxed the GOP out of the whole discussion.

Now there can be an HONEST debate. Just watch as Obama was again "eveloves" on an issue.

This is his pattern. Seize opportunities like this to educate the public.  Move the debate outward and create the pressure for change.

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:23:49 AM PDT

•  Are they any Democrats running on protecting (0+ / 0-)

Social Security from cuts?  I've been trying to get Senator Franken to make that commitment and all he says is that he wants "smart and fair" changes.

•  I know this may sound silly (1+ / 0-)
              Beetwasher

but this new democratic party doesn't shoot from the hip like it used to. You may not like the silence, but those up for reelection in 2014 will need a cohesive message.

Obama has changed the GOP's terminology from "cuts" to "cutting Social Security" now. The worst for them, is that the two biggest lightning rods for the GOP, Pelosi and Obama, are on paper, not committed either way.

So poor old mr gop congressman, has to fight his democratic opponent on the issue of cuts, more specifically, SS cuts at his town hall meeting in front of his senior citizens.

GOP- Fact Free since 1981!

by KingGeorgetheTurd on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:45:26 AM PDT

•  I can provide a cohesive message for them (1+ / 0-)
                KingGeorgetheTurd

I will oppose any cuts to any current or future Social Security or Medicare benefits and will vote against any bill that includes such cuts.

I am committed to current Social Security and Medicare benefits as the bare bones floor for any future discussions on reform.

I oppose the austerity agenda.  The American Dream has never meant less for our children, less for ourselves, less for our parents and less for our grandparents.

•  I Suggest You Urge All Your Local Dems To Do So (1+ / 0-)
              KingGeorgetheTurd

And hold their feet to the fire. It's important to take get as many progressive Dems in the house as possible if we want to strengthen SS.

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:48:18 AM PDT

•  There is no 3rd Rail without demonizing Obama (0+ / 0-)

If he gets to aim a knife at the heart of the party and retain the support of the base, no one will fear wielding that knife.

"I am confident that we're going to be able to leave the Gulf Coast in better shape than it was before." Barack Obama

by quagmiremonkey on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 01:45:54 PM PDT

•  I'm riled up, but I'm not riled up to vote for (1+ / 0-)
      gratis4

Democrats.  Maybe Senator Franken could bother himself to be a bit more than "concerned" about CCPI.

•  It is as old as dirt. (2+ / 0-)
      KingGeorgetheTurd, mallyroyal

This whole chained CPI is not going to happen while we expend our energy on it. To me, this is a repeat of Obamacare and "kill the bill".  Has anyone looked at the  "leaked" budget?  Has anyone looked at how we spend 7:1 on the elderly while the president  is asking for universal pre-k? Our future: poor children= more income inequality and a never-ending spiral.  I'm old, my partner is really old and both of us are disgusted about the narrowness of the "conversation".

•  Ah, the new favorite talking point of the ardent (3+ / 0-)
      quagmiremonkey, greenbell, gratis4

supporters of the President:

Mr. Obama is selflessly taking one for the team; proposing safety net cuts to give the Dems something to run against in 2014. That's a little too eleventy-dimensional for my lowly quotidian self to embrace.

I prefer to simply take him at his word.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:49:21 AM PDT