View Diary: Elizabeth Warren: "Shocked" at Obama's Proposal to "Dismantle" Social Security "Inch By Inch" (329 comments)

•  AMEN, Elizabeth! (4+ / 0-)

I'm beyond perplexed at this, and stunned.

Bomb-ass-tic offering to compromise when he didn't have to.

I would rather spend my life searching for truth than live a single day within the comfort of a lie. ~ John Victor Ramses

by KayCeSF on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 09:08:04 AM PDT

•  Yet there are still (7+ / 0-)

people on this site who will hear no word against the president - blows my mind.

•  Best President in my lifetime, (3+ / 0-)

but I cannot defend this.  It's incomprehensible to me why he's put this on the table.  Even as they won't accept his grand bargain anyway.  I just don't get it.

by KayCeSF on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 09:37:21 AM PDT

•  It's only incomprehensible because (4+ / 0-)
          raboof, TheUnknown285, fenway49, Arlys

you've accepted the premise that Obama is the "Best President [of your] lifetime" (let me guess - you're 30ish or younger, right?). It's the same disconnect people experience when confronted with evidence of their beloved spouse's infidelity.

My other car is a pair of boots.

by FutureNow on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 11:10:33 AM PDT

•  I think it's kind of pretentious (3+ / 0-)
            Praxical, Sybil Liberty, KayCeSF

to assume that because someone doesn't share your viewpoint, they must have some deficit of experience.  Given my personal life experiences (yes, I'm a 30-something; yes, I've been "confronted with evidence of [my] beloved spouse's infidelity") coupled with my education and analytical skills, I can say with confidence that President Obama is the best president of my lifetime.

As compared to Jimmy Carter.  Saint Ronulus Reagosaurus.  George H. W. Bush.  William Jefferson Clinton.  George W[ouldn't know intelligence if it bit him in his] Bush.

Not exactly the Hall of Presidential Accomplishment, is it?  When that's the standard against which I measure President Obama, it's a pretty clear choice.  That having been said, there are many policy failures that I haven't supported, and in fact was full-throated militantly against (as proven by writing many letters to the editor, many phone calls and emails to my Congress Critters and the WH switchboard, community rallies, et al), including (but not limited to):

>Guantanamo Bay
            >Flirting with war with Iran
            >Hyper-armamentation against North Korea (yes, I know KJU is a nutcase, but I'm not certain we have a duty to defend S Korea at this point in our history)
            >Lack of expediency with regard to coming out for gender neutral marriage
            >Lew and his "too big to fail" fail
            >...and his "too big to arrest" fail

and many more.

The point is, I'm no sheep.  I'm not a blind follower of the President.  But I have to give credit where it is due.  He has done...adequately, in most respects, certainly when compared through the lens of my personal life experiences.

TL;DR:  Don't dismiss someone's opinion just because they're younger than you.  You wouldn't appreciate it if someone dismissed your opinion because you're older than them, would you?

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience every time." --Unknown

by Subwoofer of the House on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 12:16:28 PM PDT

•  I didn't dismiss anyone's opinion, (0+ / 0-)

and certainly not for ageist or tribal reasons. I simply made an analogy to show how cognitive dissonance occurs when facts clash with belief.

My other car is a pair of boots.

by FutureNow on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 02:47:18 PM PDT

•  I have never expected any President will be (1+ / 0-)
                Sybil Liberty

perfect.  Maybe that's objective, perfection. I'm old enough to realize we can't get everything we want, no President can give that.  What he's been up against has been beyond the pale.  Nevertheless, this proposal to cut SS, is perplexing and disturbing.  You see, I am old enough to question and even object to a Presidential decision where I see fit, but I am also old enough to have gained mature patience and a reasonable perspective about legislative process and how there are times when we need to find areas that are reasonable compromises.  I do not see this as a reasonable compromise.  It will hurt too many people, all while the true "entitled" one percent in this country skip out of paying their fair share as U.S. citizens.

by KayCeSF on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 03:12:09 PM PDT

•  not only dismissive, (1+ / 0-)
                KayCeSF

but condescending as hell

"Show up. Pay attention. Tell the truth. And don't be attached to the results." -- Angeles Arrien

by Sybil Liberty on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 07:21:22 PM PDT

•  Well, he probably -is-. (1+ / 0-)
            FutureNow

...And isn't that a sad fucking thing?

•  Yes (0+ / 0-)

although I think Obama has finally sunk irredeemably lower than Clinton, whose many failings (and I don't consider getting a blow job one of them) didn't seem so egregious during our decade-long era of relative peace and prosperity.

My other car is a pair of boots.

by FutureNow on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 02:50:19 PM PDT

•  I'm 62. (0+ / 0-)

I am not disconnected and he is the best President in my lifetime.  Your remark is ridiculous.  I don't even know why I came back to read you.

bah!