View Diary: White House: We only proposed Social Security cut because GOP asked us to (307 comments)

•  I hesitate to mention this, on a site in full (0+ / 0-)

outrage mode, but it's just possible that there is some clever political maneuvering here.

During the buildup to 2012 the Obama re-election team did a lot of focus groups about the major issues and learned some rather frightening things.  People who saw Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney, on video, calling for cutting entitlement (earned benefit) programs did not believe those were real positions.  A written and passed Ryan budget in the House that contained those cuts was not considered a real threat to SS or Medicare.  This wasn't just dumbass Fox viewers they were talking too, it was a cross-section of the population.

Their bottom line belief was that politicians say things when running for office that they'd never dare do once in office.

No matter what Paul Krugman says, no matter what leftie pundits say, no matter how often we repeat this on leftie blogs, we are not well enough placed to get the truth out.  We are not the majority, and we're not the only people who vote.

I think there's a strategy here that's subtle, and geared to bringing the reality of the Republican Dream into focus for those people who don't blog, or Tweet, or even watch cable news.

Just a thought.  We'll see how this plays out, but it's interesting that the WH is presenting this as something the Republicans have been demanding as part of their austerity plan and Republicans are suddenly leaping into the fray, castigating Obama for balancing the budget on the backs of seniors.   Get enough high-profile Republicans repeating that and we could see a pivot to "entitlements aren't the problem here", which takes SS and Medicare out of the discussion.

What we forget is that Obama isn't just fighting Republican intransigence he's fighting 60 years of propaganda, and that propaganda is more deeply entrenched than anyone knew.

{cue the eleventy-dimensional chess comments}

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 10:56:20 AM PDT

•  The problem is that he's *promoting* the bad idea. (6+ / 0-)

He's giving it his okay by putting it in a proposal that he has full control over. No matter how much he insists it's not ideal or that it's only there because Republicans want it, the fact is that he's the one taking the position that chained CPI is acceptable. All most people will see is that Obama proposed cutting Social Security and the GOP is attacking him for it. So how exactly does this help get the word out that the GOP likey the cutting Social Security? In fact, it does exactly the opposite — it lets them credibly pretend to be its protectors.

If there is going to be any chance whatsoever of getting the idea across to people that Republicans want to cut Social Security and Democrats do not, he has to withdraw the chained CPI part of his proposal. Fast. Drop it like it's hot. Right now, the only people supporting it are high-ranking Democrats. The only way for them to stop supporting it is to withdraw it.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
      Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
      Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:03:12 AM PDT

•  But most of the people I'm talking about don't (0+ / 0-)

get that, they don't understand what's really happening.  You start learning arithmetic by learning the numbers, then addition, then...

This seems to me to be the learning the numbers phase.  I don't know this, I just look at what Obama's done to benefit seniors over the last 4 years and don't believe the same guy is going to shaft us.  It's an actions thing for me.  I remember how much outrage there was here during the ACA wars, and how many diarists proved that folding Medicare and Medicaid into the ACA was the first step on the slippery slope to privatizing both.  What really happened was a pretty major improvement in my Medicare benefits, and if Perry would get his head out of his ass I'd benefit from Medicaid as well.

That's the main reason I'm resisting the gloom and doom.  G & D has already been done, it was not based in reality, and what Obama actually DID was really helpful.  It's takes a special kind of evil to spend 4 years strengthening the safety net, only to gut it once people are better off.  I don't buy that Obama's that evil, no matter how much hyperbole is thrown about here.

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:13:13 AM PDT

•  I don't want to think he's doing it either. (0+ / 0-)

But he keeps telling us all about how awesome it'll be when he finally makes his Grand Bargain where he “gets entitlement spending under control” or some bullshit. If he's bluffing, it's a very long con and a very big lie.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
          Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
          Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:16:11 AM PDT

•  Again, parse the words. Some of the entitlements (0+ / 0-)

he wants under control are things I'd love to see gone, like aid to corporate farmers, tax breaks for outsourcers, etc.

He started broadening the definition of entitlement spending some time back.  And he uses earned benefits regarding SS and Medicare, doesn't he?  If he's being specific about the safety net, there's always some discussion about "You paid into this for years".

I'd like to see entitlement actually used correctly - you're asking for special help with your corporate jet taxes, or your obscenely high investment earnings -  that's the request of someone who feels entitled to avoid any common burden like taxes.

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:28:23 AM PDT

•  Why is it that I have this slight inkling that (1+ / 0-)
      maryabein

if this proposal turned out to have any support, you'd be defending it instead of arguing that it was just some kind of bait?

dEar Ellois: U send Fud down holez, we no eaTz u. That iz deAl. No forget. MooRlockz Haz 2 eats. Stoopid Elloiz.

by JesseCW on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:13:51 AM PDT

•  Because you're currently anti-anything-Obama (0+ / 0-)

and you know I'm not?

We've had some altercations over chained CPI in the last few days, haven't we?  You know where I stand on that, and you should know that what I hope for, sometime before I die, is an increase in the base benefits for low earners like me.

I also have made it clear that President Obama has done more for seniors and the disabled than anyone else in decades, and I really appreciate that, being both.  I don't find it particularly believable that he's suddenly been infected with the austerity virus and is undermining every aspect of the safety net.  It doesn't jibe with what he's actually DONE for 4 years.  But I'm more tuned into actions than words, mostly.

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:21:27 AM PDT