View Diary: White House: We only proposed Social Security cut because GOP asked us to (307 comments)

•  OMFG I can't believe (2+ / 0-)
    GustavMahler, fisheye

you present this as anything but snark.  A black man with a funny name wins twice, passes the first ever healthcare reform platform, rolls back DADT, presides over the best regulation of the financial market since FDR, protects the CFPB from defunding (it's amazing enough that it exists at all), strengthens OSHA and the EPA and the NLRB, funnels tons of money to small business growth and revamps the SBA, saves manufacturing in this country, presides over an almost fully repaid TARP bailout, and he's incompetent?

What are you guys smoking?  I want to make sure I don't accidentally inhale any of it.

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:01:28 AM PDT

•  Oh stop it already (6+ / 0-)

You're just parodying yourselves. You left out "He closed Gitmo".

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:15:51 AM PDT

•  Yeah, because now that we've (0+ / 0-)

gotten over that whole democracy thing, he didn't need Congress to get Gitmo closed.

Talk about self-parody.  You're pissed at Obama for not doing what can't be done, and that's realistic.  Ooookay.

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:31:48 AM PDT

•  No, I was mocking how (3+ / 0-)
          kbroers, 3goldens, ssgbryan

his fans listed "closing Gitmo" as one of his accomplishments because he said he wanted to close it. As many have done exhaustively, if you go through the accomplishments his fans have given, some are the real deal (stimulus), some are vastly exaggerated (FinReg), some he had to be pushed into doing (DADT), some were mostly the work of others (Ledbetter), and some never actually happened (Gitmo). No one's saying he hasn't done much good. He has. But that doesn't mean the bad stuff isn't bad, or that the good is always as good as it's made out to be. But we've been here before and this is boring me.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:29:28 PM PDT

•  My objection to the undercutting (0+ / 0-)

of his actual accomplishments, which he has ALWAYS acknowledged as group efforts, is that it lays the groundwork for laziness when it comes time to build on them.  After the ACA wars here it was infertile ground for building momentum for a strong PO to be added, once the general public got over their paranoia about government health care.  Once you've built your case that Obama never wanted it, it's hard to go back to the same folks and say "Let's start working on...." because the response is "Obama will never let it happen".  Hyperbolic reactions reduce activism.  If we stayed with "the votes weren't there, people don't trust govt healthcare" there's still energy for upgrades within the decade.

We poison the well with our frustration and leave the effort to the next generation.

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 02:12:18 PM PDT

•  Keep on blaming the messengers (4+ / 0-)
              3goldens, allenjo, ssgbryan, Nailbanger

Not the guy responsible for all these often half-baked "solutions". If I got the sense that he was at least trying his best, and that the often so-so outcomes were a reflection of reality more than a lack of genuine effort, I'd be a lot less hard on him. But CCPI is a solution to no real problem faced by most people. At best, he's a fool for believing otherwise and at worst, he's just helping his rich friends. In either case, why should I take it easy on him? How does that make him be a better president? You think DADT would be repealed if not through pressure? Gun control? Ledbetter? Leaving Iraq? It doesn't always work, but taking it easy is guaranteed never to work.

Ultimately, this is about outcomes, not emotions.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 02:32:05 PM PDT

•  amen, kovie (1+ / 0-)
                kovie
                taking it easy is guaranteed never to work.

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 03:26:39 PM PDT

•  I never worry about you taking it easy! (0+ / 0-)

I do worry about the messengers when the're so often wrong.

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 05:55:11 PM PDT

•  On CCPI? On what planet? (0+ / 0-)

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 06:10:00 PM PDT

•  It's the same level of wrong the (0+ / 0-)

PO generated.  We had scream fests for weeks about no PO, which was ludicrous.  The only PO that could generate enough votes to pass was already handled in the ACA, a strong one was a no-go from the start.  So we fought for something that didn't exist.  Silly.  And people still don't get that it was silly -achieved nothing of value, created much resistance to any successes the ACA achieved.  And there's no energy for building on the successes either, we shot reform in the belly and we're okay with letting it bleed out.

A few months ago Obama suggested changing the base SS benefit to 400% of the poverty level.  A tepid cheer here and there, but no petitions, no blogathons, no 3 days on the rec list diaries talking about what many seniors and most disabled people are living on.  And for all your energy and activism, you don't seem able to understand that if the $5 a month I average as a COLA increase plummeted to $1 a month in 6 years, who the fuck cares?  It's an energy bar a month, a small latte.  (like I can afford either)

I need 3 little jobs in order to survive.  If I can't keep them I'll be in a shelter, under a bridge, or living off family members.  That's not social, or any other, security.

But go with Hell, No.  An actual improvement in the lives of people like me is a huge undertaking, long-term, piecemeal, and exhausting.  I'm not sure the bogosphere is up to that kind of effort.  I hope someone is.

by I love OCD on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 03:16:35 PM PDT

•  It compounds to much more over time (0+ / 0-)

And don't tell me that can be fixed in time.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 04:34:08 PM PDT

•  So if I'm $700 a month short on actual (0+ / 0-)

living expenses I'm just supposed to shut up and cheer that they sometimes give me $60 more a year, and be outraged if that gets cut to $20 in 10 years.  Because of course once we've shot our wad on Hell No, and we win, I'm pretty sure that's the end of diaries about SS until everyone here loses their retirement income and is left with SS only.

by I love OCD on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 07:41:36 PM PDT

•  Don't worry about it (1+ / 0-)
          I love OCD

Everyone's paralyzed by fear right now.  These are very evil times.  Let people vent and have faith.

•  If you recall he wasn't going to close it, he (0+ / 0-)

was simply going to "transfer it" to a prison in Illinois.

by allenjo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 03:25:08 PM PDT

•  First ever health care reform? (2+ / 0-)
      3goldens, ssgbryan

I guess if you ignore all other health care legislation sure

Of course I suppose Clinton could have passed Bob Dole's reform proposal too if he'd just been smart enough to sign on to the GOP platform.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescindibles.

by Mindful Nature on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 02:11:10 PM PDT

•  yes, even the FP at DK was aware that (0+ / 0-)

no President in the history of this country had any luck getting any action at all on changing how we handle healthcare in this benighted land.  But of course it wasn't perfect, so better to leave it alone until the People's Revolution creates the paradise we long for.  Or something.

Social Security and Medicare were lambasted by liberals for being too small, too weakened by compromise, a sellout.  It took later generations to build those programs, because the contemporaneous Dems were too devastated by the failure of their original proposals to take action immediately.  Sorta like today's ACA.  This is what people mean when they talk about the perfect being the enemy of progress.  That gloom and doom takes root and sucks the life out of activism.

by I love OCD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 02:26:45 PM PDT

•  That "gloom and doom" *is* activism (nt) (0+ / 0-)
        •  um (0+ / 0-)

I guess, say, COBRA, medicare, medicaid, the various tax saver laws, etc., etc., etc. didn't happen until St. Barack arrived?  or those tweaks you mentioned didn't happen?

This reading is kind of ignores history, but ok

by Mindful Nature on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 12:04:40 AM PDT

•  perhaps you have inhaled too much already? (0+ / 0-)

by allenjo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 03:22:49 PM PDT