View Diary: Yes, Obama Punk'd GOP AGAIN With His Budget (230 comments)

•  More ways to have fun: (8+ / 0-)

President Obama advocates a bill for strip mining the entire state of West Virginia in order to protect mountaintops.

President Obama advocates opening up public lands for frakking in order to expand the national park system.

President Obama advocates a 75% cut to the military budget in order to protect the military.

PS: The public is quite well educated on this issue, thank you very much.  Polls show that an overwhelming majority want SS protected from cuts.  It seems that you're going to have to come up with a better rationale.

•  You Really Believe The Public Is Well Educated (4+ / 0-)

On this issue?

Would you be more or less motivated now to vote for a Local Dem Candidate who is running on protecting SS from cuts?

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:53:32 AM PDT

•  No - they aren't... (3+ / 0-)
        rigcath, JesseCW, Aspe4

Which is exactly why the Dems are going to get creamed in 2014.

'Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost' - Ronald Reagan, Communist

by RichM on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:12:55 PM PDT

•  Nice Crystal Ball, Unless The DO Get Educated (3+ / 0-)
          Quicklund, SilentBrook, aitchdee

And motivated to get out and vote to protect SS by voting for every Dem candidate they can get their hands on.

What are you doing to motivate people to get out and vote?

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:16:51 PM PDT

•  The problem is, voters now see the most (2+ / 0-)
            SpecialKinFlag, Aspe4

powerful Democrat in the country proposing cuts to Social Security. Why on earth would that somehow motivate them to vote for Democrats if they want to strengthen SS?

"In an individual, selfishness uglifies the soul; for the human species, selfishness is extinction." -Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell

by rigcath on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:20:16 PM PDT

•  Obama Is Not Running For Office (3+ / 0-)
              JBL55, SilentBrook, aitchdee

Mid terms are all local.

Who you gonna trust to protect SS? Your local Dem or your local GOP?

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:24:21 PM PDT

•  If I weren't political, I really wouldn't know. (2+ / 0-)
                Aspe4, Bindle

You've got the Democratic president proposing SS cuts, the Democratic House Minority Leader supporting them, and division within the Democratic party on the issue now as well. As you point out, prominent members in the GOP are now coming out opposed to the Democrats' proposed cut. At least for the moment, the GOP looks like the party most vocally opposed to SS cuts.

by rigcath on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:49:30 PM PDT

•  A Year and A Half From Now (3+ / 0-)
                  JBL55, SilentBrook, aitchdee

Do you think non-political people will think the GOP is the party that's about protecting SS?

Really? After years and years and years of running against it?

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:51:24 PM PDT

•  Again, I don't know. And the answer should be NO. (1+ / 0-)
                    Bindle

When has the GOP ever explicitly campaigned on cutting Social Security? Sure, they're proposed "privatizing" it, but to the average voter that is a nebulous term that means next to nothing. If they came out and proposed cutting benefits to current seniors, the way Obama has, voters would rightly reject them, and they know this. Thus why they don't come out and actually propose cuts to SS--because that would effectively end the GOP.

I mean, do you really think the GOP won't milk this for all it's worth? They have a blindingly obvious advantage on this until Obama withdraws his proposal (if he even does). If you don't think they're already putting the finishing touches on their SuperPAC ads and lobbying for support from the AARP and all of the other organizations that came out against this SS cut, then you are painfully naive.

by rigcath on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:23:44 PM PDT

•  It's A Fine Line To Walk, Even For Competent (2+ / 0-)
                      SilentBrook, aitchdee

People.

They've been running for 30 years on cutting SS. Both implicitly and explicitly.

Boner is already telling his party to shut up about protecting SS.

You really think the GOP is competent enough to walk this line?

I don't.

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:27:30 PM PDT

•  Then you're in for a 2010-style surprise. (0+ / 0-)

Have fun with your complacency.

by rigcath on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:31:41 PM PDT

•  Who Said Anything About Complacency? (2+ / 0-)
                          SilentBrook, aitchdee

WTF are you talking about?

I have repeatedly called for the exact oppossite. This should motivate everyone to get out and vote for every Dem they can get their hands on who is running on a platform of supporting SS.

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:44:42 PM PDT

•  I mean, are you aware that the GOP ran (0+ / 0-)

against (fictional) Medicare cuts in 2010 and won decisively? Despite the fact that the GOP PLATFORM details how they'd dismantle Medicare? Neither they nor voters give a shit what they party traditionally stood for or which party created what program, they just want to know what they'll do now. And Obama's proposed SS cuts muddy the waters about what the Democrats want to do regarding SS. There's no way around that.

by rigcath on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:26:12 PM PDT

•  Is That Why They Won in 2010? (2+ / 0-)
                      SilentBrook, aitchdee

Really?

You realize they ran on cutting SS in 2012 and got their asses whooped, right?

Now you're telling me two years later they are going to be able to run on protecting SS?

You think they are competent enough to pull that off, when they leaders of their own party are telling them to shut up about protecting SS?

I'd call that disarray, not a cohesive message.

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:31:36 PM PDT

•  And you know this how? (2+ / 0-)
          Beetwasher, SilentBrook

"If you don't judge my gold chains...I'll forget the iron chains"-- James "LL Cool J" Todd, GOAT

by lcj98 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:18:20 PM PDT

•  In other words, (1+ / 0-)
        rigcath

even though you earlier answered No when I asked you if you were saying that by proposing cuts to SS you thought President Obama was protecting Democrats (see here), you're now saying yes.

Glad we got that cleared up.