View Diary: Yes, Obama Punk'd GOP AGAIN With His Budget (230 comments)

•  There are so many people saying they... (6+ / 0-)

...know Obama's mind with this approach that I thought it might be helpful to actually listen to what somebody who remains very close to him thinks is on his mind and what Rachel thinks about that.

by Meteor Blades on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:43:34 PM PDT

•  I'll Watch It, Thanks (2+ / 0-)
      SilentBrook, aitchdee

But what's your take away? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:46:19 PM PDT

•  I am not in your camp on this matter... (10+ / 0-)

...I think the president is 1) making a mistake (all politicians do this from time to time), or 2) is following the approach he has all along said he wanted to do regarding entitlements.

I do not think this is a strategy to punk Republicans and thus help Democrats in 2014. Or, if it is, it violates the terrifically smart campaign sense the president and his advisers have shown when he is running for office.

by Meteor Blades on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:50:14 PM PDT

•  Would You Agree That It Doesn't Make Sense To You (4+ / 0-)
          JBL55, SilentBrook, deePA, aitchdee

That he would make such an error?

You find it puzzling, yes?

Maybe it's because you're not assessing it through the right frame. You're not looking at it from the right angle.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it and it is in fact just a giant fuck up. I dunno. But from what I know of Obama, and what I've seen from him in the past, I don't think this is the case.

We've seen time and again him do something that doesn't make sense initially, but has pay off down the road.

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:54:17 PM PDT

•  We've also seen blunders (0+ / 0-)

Such as 2010 and the first debate with Romney.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:33:01 PM PDT

•  Uhh, So? (3+ / 0-)
              SilentBrook, Larsstephens, aitchdee

No one said he was perfect. Of course he makes mistakes.  And maybe this is a mistake. But it's also possible it's part of a strategy, one with a payoff that may not be realized as of yet.

Although, seeing the GOP scrambling to proclaim they are against SS cuts is something to behold that seems to me to be something that could be capitalized upon.  And Boner coming out and telling Walden to shut up about protecting SS is a clear sign of internal dissarray. Wouldn't you say?

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:43:38 PM PDT

•  Hardly unprecedented (0+ / 0-)

They campaigned against "Medicare cuts" in 2010 and they always claim to be defending SSI recipiants, even as they seek to drowned the program in a bath tub.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:56:49 PM PDT

•  It's What They Always Do, Should We Be Scared? (2+ / 0-)
                  SilentBrook, aitchdee

You recall the election we just had, you know, RECENTLY in 2012. The one where we kicked their asses? How'd their strategy work then? You know, the one where they ran on Ryan's budget with all it's cuts.

They will always do this. So what? Obama is not running. And his budget is not the Dem budget.

The more we discuss and debate SS in the run up to the election, the more it benefits Dems.

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 02:03:44 PM PDT

•  I Also Would Just Like To Point Out That (3+ / 0-)
      JBL55, SilentBrook, aitchdee

Axelrod is in the end a political operative, and anything he says must be taken as his advancing a political agenda first and foremost. I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be absolutley forthright, I would expect him to use the discussion and interview to advance whatever political goals the WH is pursuing.

And I say this having not yet watched, but I will. But it's always something to keep in mind when viewing these things.

by Beetwasher on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:49:39 PM PDT