View Diary: Keep Your Distance From Wildlife (78 comments)

•  I know this seems absurd, but I was (10+ / 0-)

Attacked for a prolonged period by 3 pelicans who were just unrelenting. Also attacked by a raccoon years ago as well as by a huge alligator mother. I've had an aggressive fox encounter, but I consider that just a cute-counter.

“liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing that we do” --Richard Rorty Also, I moved from NYC, so my username is inaccurate.

by jeff in nyc on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:24:46 PM PDT

•  Florida sounds intimidating, and now you've got (5+ / 0-)

big snakes too.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:32:44 PM PDT

•  I'm on the Alabama border, so the pythons (4+ / 0-)
        BlackSheep1, crose, gerrilea, ban nock

Are hundreds of miles away until the climate warms, and by that time there could be gators in Ohio.

by jeff in nyc on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:17:14 PM PDT

•  The pythons (4+ / 0-)
          crose, gerrilea, ban nock, jeff in nyc

Here's hoping they stop breeding and figuring out how to survive in slightly cooler temps.
          I hope it won't be like the stink bugs or the lady bugs that have exploded in population where I live. There was a documentary on those dreadful Cane Toads in Australia with a toxic poison gland defense system.

•  Ladybugs eat aphids and other garden pests (2+ / 0-)
            gerrilea, ban nock

They may be a nuisance, but they're a helpful nuisance. Unlike stink bugs.

I think preying mantises eat stink bugs - we've had a lot fewer stink bugs since a mantis or two moved in.

If it's
            Not your body,
            Then it's
            Not your choice
            And it's
            None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 10:24:44 PM PDT

•  The ladybug that is considered a nuisance (1+ / 0-)
              ban nock

Is actually the Asian lady beetle. The Asian lady beetle and the seven-spotted ladybug were introduced to control aphids, but may be driving the native nine-spotted ladybug into extinction. The nine-spotted was thought extinct until 2006 when it was rediscovered in Virginia. 20 were found on a farm in NY (where it is the state insect) in 2011.

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move. -- Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by boriscleto on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 06:07:26 AM PDT

•  Wow! (8+ / 0-)

I have never been attacked by pelicans. Actually I have never been attacked by anything. I was mobbed by California gulls one Christmas in Oregon--I was feeding leftover turkey. An adult tame raccoon, probably someone's abandoned pet, came around all one summer and would take her evening meal on my lap. I have talked to foxes and brought them around, same with coyotes. I move rattlesnakes off the roads in the evenings because people will run them over on purpose. I have sat so still while fishing that a family of weasels passed under my legs. I have fed crayfish bits of bread while snorkeling at the lake. I don't know what in hell I would do if I encountered an alligator mom. That just takes the cake.

•  Only one crazy raccoon out of hundreds I've (0+ / 0-)

Come across was a jerk. The pelicans that attacked me had clearly been fed by tourists in the summer and were likely starving when I showed up in the winter smelling of seafood. I think the dolphins that have scared me just considered me a plaything and a curiosity. The ray and the catfish are just dangerous morons of the water and I don't ascribe any volition to them, nor to sharks. The gator had good reason to be angry with me.

by jeff in nyc on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 04:34:34 PM PDT