View Diary: Chained CPI, Social Insurance and Two Kinds of Politics (66 comments)

•  MSNBC's official line is PRO-CHAINEDCPI (6+ / 0-)

I don't watch MSNBC much anymore, but from what I've seen in passing:

Chris Matthews thinks Obama is the bravest and most courageous man for doing it and pumps out talking points about it "strengthening" and being "necessary" to cut.

Lawrence O'Donnell is an enemy of Social Security and went on a long diatribe about how it's a minor tweak and that it's in line with roosevelt principles and some other total nonsense, while ignoring that the rich have rigged the system and it's in no way out of line to raise the FICA cap.

Al Sharpton doesn't care about anything but his image and being buddy-buddy with Obama and he would never dare criticize his fellow black man.

i think maddow and hayes have been more active in supporting workers, but again I don't watch enough to really know.

so the establishment dems really want to take an axe to SS and judging by o'donnell's dumb ass it is "immoral" to tax rich people more to fund any FICA gap even though every g-d advanced country taxes rich people more to fund public pension shortfalls!!!!

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 11:08:57 PM PDT

•  Too true. Hayes gets it. He knows the system is (11+ / 0-)

rigged. Maddow did take on Axelrod, more or less, but Steve Benen on Maddowblog is all in for the chained CPI. On my way home from my Book Club tonight ("Twilight of the Elites" by Chris Hayes) I listened to Stephanie Miller on the radio. She was telling a worried caller that the Chained CPI was okay and Obama was doing it to show that he's bipartisan and would fix it later and don't worry about the elections in 2014 because this will show voters that Democrats are the defenders of Social Security and Medicare and blah, blah blah. Earlier in the day I listened to Randi Rhodes as I was driving and she is all in for Obama. The only other progressive talker I listen to on the radio is Norman Goldman. He is not a big supporter of the chained CPI or Obama. I'm becoming a little disenchanted with Obama, myself. My DFA group is beginning to gaslight me when I talk about protecting Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. There are only a couple of them who feel the same way I do about what's happening. It worries me. They are mostly near retirement or retired, but some of them have  money. And some of them have private pensions from Stanford or the teacher's union and did not pay into Social Security.

48forEastAfrica - Donate to Oxfam> "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness." Edna St.V. Millay

by slouching on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 01:03:23 AM PDT

•  I'm on Social Security (4+ / 0-)
        pundit, lenzy1000, AgavePup, irmaly

Medicare, Medicaid, Maine Care, Snap, HEAP, LI HEAP, and receiving help from the VA, various foundations and grants.

With all of that assistance I can't afford to drive my wife to her daily radiation treatments which are a little over eighty miles round trip unless a social worker gives me a gas card.

Despite my poverty my Social Security doesn't really depend on jobs or the economy, it depends on what we do about overpopulation, pollution, war and climate change. To some extent that depends on getting the Republicans and the lobbyists who fund them out of the Congress of the United States.

I'd expect the discussion to be about ending the global war on terror and its nation building, and returning to the war on poverty increasing safety nets to include the minimum wage, unemployment insurance, access to free education for retraining, ARRA funding for alternative energy, and infrastructure repair which will rebuild our nation.

Where I live you need a vehicle with four wheel drive to make it over, around and through the potholes, power goes out every time it rains, and most schools are being closed rather than repaired. We could use all the money we spend on being number one and shipping jobs overseas to mercenaries and the drones they operate, to invest in useful things here.

All that said I think Obama has been a very skilled negotiator in dealing with Republican obstruction. Their essential position is that if he is for it they are against it.

He is trying in his second term to get a series of gun control, immigration, marriage equality, woman's rights, voter rights, and key appointments passed and confirmed.

Obama wants to bring the troops home, deal with climate change, strengthen safety nets rather than abandon them. I'm good with all of that conceptually but making it happen requires arm twisting in the eleventh dimension that even Lydon Johnson could never have accomplished.

Johnson's sanctions were all coercive, whereas Obama's are all Seductive. Republicans push and Obama pulls them into a corner they didn't realize they were going to be visiting.

Every one of Obama's legislative ideas is filibustered, blocked, amended, shot full of poison pills, tied to something else we don't want and then delayed so as to reduce the time there is to address the next thing on the list. None of his appointments are ever confirmed.

How then is it that in 2014 the affordable care act will provide affordable care to 50 million more Americans and the infrastructure, medical equipment and staff to serve all those people is being furnished and installed now under the ARRA.

With all the best efforts of Bernie Sanders to put us on the right track if it weren't for Obama doing everything wrong we would still be trying to get single payer universal comprehensive instead of mandates for which the US federal government is the single payer if the states don't sign on.

Obama has somehow allowed Vice President Biden to have slipped into the conversation stuff like the repeal of DADT, DOMA, marriage equality, gun control, equal pay for women, a raise in the minimum wage, comfortable shoes for standing with unions and a mention or two of climate change. Its not entirely foolish to recognize that if we can't get revenues from tax increases to balance budgets now  we have little hope of ever mediating climate change.

While all that has been going on in some obscure corner of the eleventh dimension he has further allowed himself to be manipulated by the left and the right at the same time to make cuts to the military while leading from behind to take out Osama Bin Ladin, make human rights a condition of our foreign aid, stall the Keystone pipeline, and win another term of thwarting Citizens United funding for obstruction with effective community organizing .

The debate over entitlements has been expanded to put defense spending, tax breaks, and subsidies on the chopping block next to social security, medicare and medicaid.

Despite Social Security Insurance being funded by payroll taxes which have already been paid as agreed by us old folks it has been included because its trust fund has been raided to keep other spending from raising the deficit and now paying it back seems onerous.

Where I see Obama going with chained CPI is a full frontal assault on the cost of living increase threshold  for tax breaks and subsidies for millionaires and billionaires.

That's the first third of chained CPI but its also a foot in the door of cutting tax breaks for the wealthy, energy companies, big agra-business, subsidies for medicare equipment and pharmeceutical manufacturers. Grover Nordquist opposes it as a tax increase.

The middle third of chained CPI is focused on raising benefits for the poor by raising the minimum wage which means poor people will get more social security when they retire, raising the cap so revenues from the kind of compensation bankers, energy company executives and wall street executives will add to the trust fund, and then growing the economy so that even a reduced cost of living increase in benefits will increase benefits substantially.

The last third of chained CPI budget savings comes from paying less interest on less debt.

My Social Security is more not less secure as a result of the actions of this president.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 04:04:15 AM PDT

•  One cavil- the only "cuts to the military" are to (4+ / 0-)

"personnel" stuff like pay and health care and of course veterans' "benefits." As I understand it, "TEH BUDGET" restores all the sequester-driven cuts to the War Toy Industry and the Pentag___ procurements that drain our national wealth into it.

And anyway, the "cuts" to the MIC money are only a "cut" to the RATE OF GROWTH of the War Toy and World Domination "budget."

Bless you and your family and your perceptions, may we all figure out that we ordinary people need to actually "assemble" and organize and effectively "petition for redress of grievances" if these greedheads and life-suckers are to be reined in. With the clear understanding that those sorts of folks are also born every day and as they grow up they will also need to be reined in by each succeeding generation.

"Is that all there is?" Peggy Lee.

by jm214 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 04:57:48 AM PDT

•  Keep believing that until your checks stop coming (6+ / 0-)

I see him as a Trojan Horse.
          He's proposing what no republican could ever propose.

I belong to the Honey Badger Wing of the Democratic Party. We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore. Have you seen our videos?

by Cassandra77 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 06:36:08 AM PDT

•  Its true he is proposing what no Republican could (0+ / 0-)

Personally I don't see anything the Republicans have ever proposed, or are proposing or ever will propose as a good thing so I'm happy to see Obama taking a different course.

I'm not a believer, but I do have expectations that what I have seen in the past and what is going on now is likely to continue for some time into the future.

When I look at Obama in turn of my expectations for him I see three possibilities.

First there are the DRONES. This category includes the Obama administrations continuation of all the good works of the Bush administration to include, the Patriot Act, GITMO, FISA, the use of mercenaries and other countries to facilitate our kidnapping, torture and murder to include the indefinite detention of American citizens and their assassination, and oh yeah the deportations of immigrants and the arrests of pot smokers.

Second there are THE POOL HALL HUSTLEs. This category includes everything Obama has gotten passed from Lily Leadbetter, START, ARRA, the affordable care act to taking out Osama Bin Ladin, leading from behind in Libya, and aiding and abetting Elizabeth Warren, not to mention all the places where he caved to Republicans and then it turned out that no wait, he got a much better deal than we thought.

Finally there is CHRISTMAS FUTURE. this category includes things yet to be such as Affordable Care, Marriage Equality, DADT, DOMA, Immigration reform, gun control, delaying the Keystone pipeline, and chained CPI (the Trojan Horse) all the things which having begun to make some of the smarter Republicans abandon their lost cause and come over into the light once were.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 10:12:01 AM PDT

•  Here's the thing, though: (1+ / 0-)
          yoduuuh do or do not

If your Social Security had started in 1999 at $1200 per month and continued until now (Feb 2013) using today's CPI for SS, you'd be receiving around $1670 per month, roughly.

If all that time you were receiving Chained CPI as the basis of your annual adjustments, you would now be receiving $1596.

That's a $74 dollar difference a month, this year. And a bigger gap next year and the next.

And is SS really keeping pace with the cost of living?  We had a couple years when "CPI" said there was no inflation, but the food started coming in smaller packages and prices were going up. Somehow, even today's CPI missing what people really need to live every day.

Wouldn't your life be harder today on $74/month less?
          A lot harder?
          How many cuts can you take?

And why should you, living on the edge, be taking these kinds of cuts while the wealthiest in the nation pile up even more of the national riches in land, stocks, bonds, buildings, bank accounts....

This budget cuts benefits for the poorest while allowing the income inequality to continue to grow.  How is that just?

by YucatanMan on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 01:43:35 PM PDT

•  The $74 difference isn't the problem (0+ / 0-)

Because of the Great Recession many people were forced onto social security at age 62 and receive it at a reduced rate. Out of that they pay for Medicare.

I have been receiving Social Security for six years and I get less now than I did when I started because of that deduction. Medicare costs a lot, Everybody gets part A but parts B, C and D cost you more. Not only that but there is a donut hole in what you pay for medications under part D.

If I were receiving $1670 a month that would be nice.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 03:29:19 PM PDT

•  Stephanie Miller is still just a talk show host. (1+ / 0-)
        divineorder

Her only goal is to keep her audience, and negotiate a higher contract next time around.

She showed the world pretty clearly that personal courage isn't something she's got.

dEar Ellois: U send Fud down holez, we no eaTz u. That iz deAl. No forget. MooRlockz Haz 2 eats. Stoopid Elloiz.

by JesseCW on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 09:41:47 AM PDT

•  From the beginning I've been as mad at the lies (3+ / 0-)
        JesseCW, divineorder, jbsoul

on this as anything.  It is just shameless how strongly they are trying to deceive the American people on this.

And we're getting nothing for it.  A middle class person living on $30K or $40K is only sacrificing, getting nothing in return.

This reminds me of the forced busing days back in the late '60s.  When the liberal elites who had their kids in private schools decided that the working class should ship their kids out of their merely adequate public schools to horrific public schools as a great social experiment.

This is how you create Reagan Democrats.   The elites lie to the middle class and make the middle class suffer so they can feel they've served some higher purpose.

•  Yes, I've noticed they are not showing any (6+ / 0-)

anti-chained CPI folks on there.
      I've stopped watching MSNBC.  I'm opting for old movies instead.
      I guess they ditched Ed Schultz because he would have been apoplectic about the chained CPI and fighting hard against it.
      (Not in the program they were handed)

by Cassandra77 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 06:32:52 AM PDT

•  I can't watch it either lately (3+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, divineorder, jbsoul

I feel I might get more facts on FOX when it comes to middle class Social Security benefit cuts.

Propaganda is propaganda.   Centrist elite propaganda is just as appalling as Tea Party propaganda.