View Diary: Occupy Wall Street Wins LawSuit Against City of New York & Brookfield Properties - A Win is a Win (67 comments)

•  Really? What would that law say? (3+ / 0-)
    Bill W, erush1345, VClib

Would it invalidate the notion of content-neutral, time place and manner restrictions, and hold that my Free Speech right means I can speak anywhere, any time, and in any manner I want even if it deprives others of their rights and causes disruptions in the lives of others who don't want to be a part of my speech?

•  I know this much... (5+ / 0-)

There are some anti-abortion militants out there that would LOVE to see such a change take place.

•  No. It isn't that. (3+ / 0-)
      markthshark, JesseCW, shaharazade

There will not be one law. There will be a body of law concerning trumped up charges, about changing the law during and/or after an enforcement action. It will be about excessive force and oppression. It will be about privacy violations. It will be about entrapment. It will be about failure to attend to injuries. It will be about treating a civil rights movement as terrorists. It will be about many things.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 08:38:36 AM PDT

•  Bob - laws must be content neutral (1+ / 0-)
        coffeetalk

So any law that benefits an OWS protestor would have to apply equally to any anti-abortion rights protestor.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 01:32:16 PM PDT

•  Just stop it (0+ / 0-)
          When have you ever seen anti-abortion protesters dealt with in the same manner as OWS? Those who wish in inject abortion into this discussion have an ulterior motive...distract and side track.

Anyone who wishes to stand with that crowd is free to do so. They will not be beaten. They will not be dealt with as terrorists (until they kill a doctor).

As for me, I'll stand with OWS.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 05:56:17 PM PDT

•  "wish to inject" (0+ / 0-)

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 06:01:14 PM PDT

•  How about the Westboro Baptist Church? (1+ / 0-)
            coffeetalk

My only point is that the laws regarding protests have been well-litigated and there is a long line of Supreme Court cases on this topic. No group can hold a large rally without a permit and permits are constitutional as long as those who grant them apply the same standards to all groups and their decisions are content neutral. This was the primary difference between OWS encampments and Tea Party rallies. The Tea Party followed all the rules and obtained all the necessary permits. With a few exceptions OWS didn't obtain permits for their encampments, were breaking the law, and finally removed from public parks.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 06:33:54 PM PDT

•  I'm not talking about occupying Zuccotti Park... (1+ / 0-)
      Just Bob

for extended periods of time. Or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm talking about how protesters were treated, specifically, the protesters who weren't 'occupying' anything but the streets in general during protest marches.

The general level of response to protest marches by law enforcement was disproportionate to say the least. Protesters' rights to assemble were violated, along with other civil rights.

Just one good, civil-minded judge could change that and start a trend, in which other judges become more empathetic, and the authorities give more respect and deference to protesters.

Long term occupations simply won't work anymore.

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history." ~ Aldous Huxley

by markthshark on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 05:00:05 PM PDT