View Diary: To (All) The Millions of High School Seniors with Sour Grapes, Especially Ms. Weiss… (141 comments)

•  I didn't see her on TV (29+ / 0-)

but with her attitude it is very hard to see how she would come across well when being interviewed for a college place. Very hard not to give off an air of both arrogance and entitlement.

•  MI? I'll tell my daughter to steer clear! (12+ / 0-)

Funny thing is every year IL recognizes the top 10% of seniors. My daughter had no GPA related honors at her high school but was recognized as top 10% by the State. Her friends who had the top GPAs honors at her high school weren't recognized by the State. I'm not sure the criteria they use because her friends had higher GPAs, lower ACTs, similar sports, and much less volunteer work.

Most of her friends got into WI and IL, but not MI. My daughter was rejected by WI -- when she would have been 3rd generation -- and deferred by IL. Yet she was accepted in the first batch of MI students. At the time she would have preferred WI over MI, but when she went to visit her friends at WI she realized that that she would have been very unhappy there.

I think most schools know what they are looking for and have a feel for who will succeed at their school. It just frightens me that MI picked both this woman and my daughter!

•  U of M alumna here (3+ / 0-)
          emal, ColoTim, CharlieHipHop

I was a resident of MI at the time and only applied to state schools (my parents put 6 kids through college).  There was no essay.  I had a 3.8 and somewhere between a 1240 to 1280 (I took them several times and can't remember) SAT and my ACT was very high too.  I applied early and was accepted by early November.

I don't know what criteria universities use, and they are probably all different.  I do know they want geographic diversity so that is probably why this east coast kid got into midwest schools.  But families in the northeast especially place high priority on the IV league.  If you just look at the number of applications, not everyone with a 4 point or higher is going to get in.  A kid with a high gpa and SAT's will get into a top university, just maybe not the one at the top of the list.

That said, this kid is obnoxious and clueless.  Surprise, there are minority kids with high IQ's, high gpa's and high test scores.  Universities do not want clones.  And the whole idea that it's a rat race and that if you are the top of the top, you will get into whatever university you want is not true.  Legacies with big donor parents (think W) take precedence over your little SAT score.

•  Arrogant entitlement is about the sum of it. (25+ / 0-)

Claiming it is satire when there simply is no satire evident doesn't work for me. It's a bill of complaints against "everyone else."

Princeton has a 7% admission rate. So, she thinks that she is "more qualified" to win the "rat race" and be admitted?

And let's stop and think a bit. Is this some poor downtrodden youth with no access to the socio/economic ladder?  Hell no. She was a Senate Page and has a close relative employed at the Wall Street Journal, not the least of which to mention is the fact that her "poor little discriminated against white girl" screed fits too neatly into the Fox/Murdoch 24x7 racist agenda.

Pathetic.

by YucatanMan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 01:17:18 PM PDT

•  ah--"has a close relative employed at the Wall (9+ / 0-)

Street Journal"...that explains how-come we're even listening to this.

•  I feel for these kids (5+ / 0-)
          dfarrah, emal, boji, ColoTim, orestes1963

The college admissions process is a giant scam. And The College Board benefits. Kids are told to take AP classes, tests are $87 each. They are urged to take the PSAT and the SAT over and over to improve scores. The. When it's time to Pply they spend money and time on those when many aren't even looked at.

After they finally get into a school it costs a fortune. I can see how a kid might finally wake up,after driving the self hard for 4 years and realizing they are the same as 60,000 other applicants to their dream school and saying WTF?

Since when is the party that embraces all the top tenets of Satan allowed to call the God shots?--wyvern

by voracious on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 07:12:49 AM PDT

•  Exactly. They try to live these perfect lives, (1+ / 0-)
            orestes1963

have been successful, and then everyone, in this case rejected her.

Great letter. There is some satire here too. Two moms ...

She is making fun of the liberal make up of the selection committee.

Did she deserve it? Who knows. They reject many students with perfect SAT scores every year.

College has become a total scam. According to one study, 47% of students have no increase in skills after 2 years.

Another study estimated that 85% of jobs don't need any of the skills learned in college.

Student debt hit a trillion last year, and it is going up all the time faster than inflation. The colleges are spending much more on recreation and sports than education. Professors are much more likely to be non-tenured than any time in our history.

If we have a problem in education, it is the college scam be taken on our students and parents.

•  She is bad at math, that's for sure. (9+ / 0-)

She applied to 3 Ivies and Vanderbilt.

Let's say each has a 10% admission rate.

What's the chance of her getting rejected by all four? (.9 to the 4th power = 65%)

Why the surprise?

•  Because she felt she was so much better than (0+ / 0-)

the other 90% of the applicants at each of the schools.

Whiny self-pity party definitely.  She can express herself very well in an interview on national TV, which would result in many high-school age kids not being nearly so capable of carrying on intelligent conversation.  Still, I probably commend the Ivies and Vanderbilt for choosing other people and I'm wondering if she will deign to follow through on the offer of admission at my alma mater.  I certainly expect her fellow students to very quickly learn that wherever she attends, it is not her first choice and I hope they treat her appropriately.

•  WTF? (0+ / 0-)

Students at colleges that weren't their first choice are deserving of the opprobrium of their fellow students?  I don't know that your alma mater would be very proud of your attitude.

•  You're assuming "appropriately" means badly. (0+ / 0-)

I'm referring to it in the spirit of "education".  I received a lesson in a variety of people and cultures that I had only read about starting with my first day on campus.  She needs to also learn that there's a whole variety of people at a state school.  If she brings her self-pitying attitude of having to "settle" for one of the best institutions in the whole world, just because it's not her first choice (but is ranked higher in a recent study than at least one of her schools, though overall ranking doesn't mean as much as ranking in her field of study), I really don't have much sympathy for her and I really wouldn't expect the students to either.  This girl needs to learn there's a real world out there, and I think her education will be much more than what she now plans on.

•  Yeah, right (0+ / 0-)

If that were your intention, you failed miserably.  Perhaps you should have gotten more "education" at university.

But I think you are merely equivocating.  What, pray tell, should her fellow students teach her?  You know nothing about her background or her exposure to others.  Your comments evince a personal animus towards a teenager you do not know.  Sadly, your education at one of the best institutions in the world (that's a large category you are creating there; perhaps you're not terribly aware of the number of excellent global universities) didn't teach not to draw broad conclusions on minimal information.

•  I was basing the rating off the report published (0+ / 0-)

here: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/...

The Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings employ the world's largest invitation-only academic opinion survey to provide the definitive list of the top 100 most powerful global university brands. A spin-off of the annual World University Rankings, the reputation league table is based on nothing more than subjective judgement - but it is the considered expert judgement of senior, published academics - the people best placed to know the most about excellence in our universities.
                    I'd also say your conclusions about how much I know about her and that I have animus towards her are evidence that you, yourself, judge without information.  I suspect we will continue to disagree about that so no point in carrying that further.
          •  Excellent point. (4+ / 0-)

Even if you apply to 10 schools with 10% acceptance rates, you still have a 35% chance of being rejected by all ten.

I think it's a matter of focus.

From her point of view, she's the smartest kid in her high school. Highest test score, high grades, blah blah blah. Now she can't understand why she didn't get in.

But look at it from the colleges' point of view. I'll bet the Ivy League schools get thousands or tens of thousands of applications from "the smartest kid in the school." There are lots of high schools out there.

"Stupid just can't keep its mouth shut." -- SweetAuntFanny's grandmother.

by Dbug on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 12:23:44 PM PDT

•  Big Fish in a Small Pond Syndrome n/t (2+ / 0-)
              Dbug, helpImdrowning

Writing in all lower-case letters should be a capital offense

by ebohlman on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:52:27 PM PDT

•  Exactly. There are a lot of these big fish-little (0+ / 0-)

pond kids out there who are just not prepared for the reality of the big bad world. On the other hand, she did get her essay in the WSJ and landed an appearance on a nationally televised morning show, so the little fish has done alright.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy -7.8., -6.6

by helpImdrowning on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 04:49:01 PM PDT

•  But how would a high school kid know all this? (0+ / 0-)

Of course there are lots of high achievers out there -- but top of the class is a big deal in any school.  Teachers and parents push kids to extreme achievement and foster improbable expectations. Maybe someone should point out the dangers of fighting for things everyone else wants, and instead encourage kids to find their own best paths. Kids can have fun and learn during their high school years.  This aspirational circus and its attendant industries cause unnecessary disillusionment for too many sweet, smart kids.

•  Aren't you projecting a bit too much? (0+ / 0-)

It appears she was angry and disappointed when she was rejected, but seems to be quite articulate and reasonable in that interview.  A lot of seniors probably had the same reaction on that fateful day.  Give her a break.

•  I laughed out loud when I read her essay..... (32+ / 0-)

...because it struck me instantly as "vey iz mir" satire. As a Pittsburgher, I grew up with that kind of humor, as penned by Beverly King Pollack (Quoth the Maven) and spoken by comedienne Esther Lapiduss (her daughters are Hollywood comedy writers).

The truth behind Suzy's "plight" was best summed up by the Gypsy Rose Lee character in the Broadway show "Gypsy," with the song "Ya Gotta Have a Gimmick." And that's what I think she was getting at. When fewer than 10% of the qualified applicants are accepted at the school of your choice, you really do have to have a gimmick. Of course, the best gimmick is being born into a rich alumni family, but the nine extracurriculars, three varsity letters, two moms, and a partridge in a pear tree was a funny (to me) way of saying that if you don't really have a gimmick, "yourself" won't get selected.

Of course, there is another lesson here Suzy. And it was best expressed by another rich kid, Jack Kennedy. "Some men are killed in a war and some men are wounded, and some never leave the country, and some men are stationed in the Antarctic and some are stationed in San Francisco. It's very hard in military or personal life to achieve  complete equality. Life is unfair."

Suck it up, Suzy. I don't think you're a bad kid at all. You worked hard and did your best and didn't get into an Ivy League School. And you wrote a piece that got published and made a lot of people laugh and a lot of people angry and got you more than 15 minutes of fame. You have never known hunger or want, and you probably never will. Michigan is a terrific school. You'll be fine. Good luck. Go Blue!

And lighten up, folks. She's a good kid who really, really wanted something and didn't get it. It's not like she's stealing or doing drugs or screaming about "tyranny." She made an attempt at humor, and maybe you didn't find it funny. There's so many other things in this world to get worked up over. Leave the kid alone.

•  My limited experience with admissions offices. (5+ / 0-)

Every admissions office loudly proclaims that they are looking for diversity. And rightly so.

A problem however exists in that admissions offices themselves seem to lack diversity.  They all seem to have the exact same sanitized vision of what diversity is. As such their efforts fail to help to produce anything but a vanilla/bland form of diversity.

Its a bit ironic.

It’s a shame really and has the effect of making those without a “gimmick” feel a bit left behind and somewhat cheated.

Just IMHO

•  Implicit discrimination (1+ / 0-)
          O112358

That's pretty much spot on.  It seems like most elite colleges and universities tend to focus on a certain version of diversity.  I've read that people from rural areas tend to be underrepresented, partly because they don't even realize that they should be applying but also because reps from the colleges don't necessarily visit/recruit from these areas.  Also asians tend to be underrepresented when considering test scores and similar things; e.g. if you're asian you probably need to score significantly higher than other groups to get in. For example, the median scores for asian students at an ivy is apparently about 150 points higher on the SAT than the median score for caucasian students.

•  I'm glad someone else saw it this way. (6+ / 0-)

I'm from a lower middle class background, but have gone to schools with kids like her, and taught quite a few as well. I would make bets she would not be the kid pulling rank and slacking off. I might make her read "A Modest Proposal" and examine why satire must be a little more obvious to be effective, but at least she's not sombrely quoting Nine Inch Nails on being a rat in a cage. She's a high school kid, she'll be fine.

You..ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones

by northsylvania on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:26:11 AM PDT

•  She is young and naive. (5+ / 0-)
        emal, ManhattanMan, Dodgerdog1, ColoTim, Larin

She will learn some lessons throughout her life, and look back on this one day, and perhaps cringe a little, or maybe if we are lucky, use this as a jumping off point into something truly profound- find a better way to express her frustration.

She can afford to go to college? Her parents can send her? She is very lucky. Time to learn to want what you got sweetie.

If you can learn to do that, you will have truly accomplished something.

•  Agree she is young (1+ / 0-)
        ManhattanMan

And I was willing to cut her some slack due to that and due to the fact she was frustrated and venting that her dreams were just dashed when she wrote this.

That said..she should have realized it was still a huge lottery crap shoot and the odds were not in her favor...and as you said, nothing in life is guaranteed. ...except death and taxes.

In addition, she seemed to have some insight about the fact the whole college admission process is a huge RAT RACE..perhaps  more reflection about the ridiculousness of it all might be in order. It's a huge marketing money maker...so my gut is that it's here to stay..unless you are savvy to understand it may really not be worth it in the long run...not to play the game. Welcome to the ReGilded Age!

Government of, for, and by the wealthy corporate political ruling class elites. We are the 99%-OWS.

by emal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 08:56:38 AM PDT

•  Is she kidding? (0+ / 0-)

I mean, I didn't get into my first school, or my second, or my third.

However, I do know one girl who got into five of her top six schools, and was wait-listed at Harvard.

She finished a BS and MS at MIT in five years.

But you're right.  Michigan?  They're the next level of entitled.  She should have gone to Duke; it's a whiter school.

What an entitled jerk.  Life's not fair.  Sorry.

"People should not be afraid of their government; governments should be afraid of their people." --V

by MikeTheLiberal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 03:22:22 PM PDT

•  Do they still do interviews? (0+ / 0-)

That was being phased out when I applied to college back in 1981.  And if interviews are used, it is another means by which good applicants are discriminated against.  My parents couldn't afford to send me to schools for interviews.  I didn't even have the resources to visit the campuses of the schools I applied to.

I think one needs to avoid the ad hominem fallacy in addressing this essay.  I think it is criminal that kids these days have college coaches or are engaging in activities out of a craven desire to make themselves look good to colleges.  And it happens a lot- among the privileged.

• Recommended (145)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site