View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/16 (342 comments)

•  yeah, I've noticed the melk thing too (0+ / 0-)

thought that was western US in general though?

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:37:33 PM PDT

•  not me. (0+ / 0-)

I'm definitely in the I camp.  Don't ask how to pronounce Oregon, though.

by James Allen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:41:27 PM PDT

•  oregoing, oregoing, oregon! n/t (1+ / 0-)
        WisJohn

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:49:39 PM PDT

•  nope (0+ / 0-)

And not like the common sticker people have on cars here, "Orygun".  I pronounce it like the word origin, if it had a hard G.

by James Allen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:59:09 PM PDT

•  Oregon (1+ / 0-)
            James Allen

I've pronounced it like you just said you do since  ~3rd grade. Some guy from Bend riding on the CTA Red Line train corrected my pronunciation of Oregon when I was on my way back from a Cubs game with my dad.

Home: North Shore of Illinois, College: Main Line of Pennsylvania (PA-07)

by IllinoyedR on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:34:35 PM PDT

•  reminds me of how (2+ / 0-)
            James Allen, Gygaxian

freshman year and college my roommate and I used to give crap to this guy who freaked out whenever we pronounce Oregon that way (which is the way I pronounced it growing up). he wasn't even from Oregon, which was the funny part.

reminds me of that time when Michelle Obama accidentally pronounced "Nevada" the way that Nevadans don't like. but that's the way I pronounce it, so therefore it's the right way. people out west really need to learn how to pronounce their own state names.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 02:47:23 AM PDT

•  I have at least one Midwestern friend (0+ / 0-)

Who says melk. I don't pay attention that closely though.

25, Practical Progressive Democrat (-9.38, -8.51), Gay, IN-02 - Defeat Wacky Jackie for 2014!

by HoosierD42 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:47:52 PM PDT