View Diary: Parody Has Died (233 comments)

•  Yeah, and the 'em did wonderful in the midterms (2+ / 0-)
    Beetwasher, sethtriggs

So much for giving 'em hell, but as long as you felt all warm and fuzzy inside, that's all that matters, right?

I repeatedly claimed that Obama would never propose cuts to social security. I was wrong. Then again, I also claimed, repeatedly, that Rick Perry would win the 2012 Election, and that The Supreme Court would overturn Health Care Reform.

by NoFortunateSon on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:25:20 AM PDT

•  So you think, Obama wanted to cut SS (17+ / 0-)

will play well?

That is exactly what the GOP will say, and that they stopped him.

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." Arundhati Roy

by LaFeminista on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:29:00 AM PDT

•  They stopped him by voting for it? (1+ / 0-)
        Beetwasher

Please explain that logic.

by NoFortunateSon on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:35:10 AM PDT

•  It will be an easier sell than Obama tried to (10+ / 0-)

fool them by proposing stuff he didn't believe in to call their bluff.

Who ever said politics relies on logic?

It is what you can sell, and I say we stopped him from hurting Granny is a very easy sell.

by LaFeminista on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:37:38 AM PDT

•  No no. Please explain how Rs could vote to cut SS? (1+ / 0-)
            Beetwasher

The True ProgressiveTM flip out over Chained CPI reminds me of the underwear gnomes:

Step 1: Obama proposes Chained CPI
            Step 2: ?
            Step 3: Chained CPI becomes law.

This isn't Mediscare, where there was a kernel of truth over the HCR bill.

by NoFortunateSon on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:40:56 AM PDT

•  No No they couldn't but Obama could (6+ / 0-)

see? Just turn it around.

Easier sell protecting Grandpa dontcha know?

by LaFeminista on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:42:46 AM PDT

•  How could Obama vote for it? (0+ / 0-)

It would have to pass the House and Senate. Now there are several scenarios for this, but it all involves a heckuva lot of R's voting for Obama's budget.

The only plausible scenario I see is a team of safe D's and R's passing Obama's budget. But even then, how is a safe R going to vote for Obama's budget and survive the Club for Growth?

by NoFortunateSon on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 11:27:46 AM PDT

•  It was his proposal, and as President (6+ / 0-)

that carries weight.

PS

I didn't even mention voting, where did you find that one?

by LaFeminista on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 11:33:04 AM PDT

•  Well, voting is key to this becoming, you know... (0+ / 0-)

...law?

Yes, it's his proposal.
                    Yes, that carries some weight, just like all his other proposals that never became law.

But again, who is going to vote for this?

by NoFortunateSon on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 01:59:46 PM PDT

•  You clearly aren't ready to admit this (2+ / 0-)
                      AuroraDawn, truong son traveler

but his signature has a bit to do with it becoming law too.

dEar Ellois: U send Fud down holez, we no eaTz u. That iz deAl. No forget. MooRlockz Haz 2 eats. Stoopid Elloiz.

by JesseCW on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 07:42:14 PM PDT

•  Does he sign the bill first? (0+ / 0-)

Or do I have School House Rock backwards?

Listen, if somehow this gets passed, then yes, the President would be to blame.along with all those on either side who enabled this.

But in all the hysterics, the underwear gnomes haven't been able to explain how we get from Step 1: President proposes something in a budget to Step 3: Bill becomes a Law.

The Republicans can't vote for it. They could never be seen compromising with Obama.
                        The Republicans can't vote against it if it comes to the floor. The Club for Growth would pillory them.
                        The Republicans can't vote for it. Grover Norquist has labeled it a tax increase.
                        The Democrats can't pass it. They don't control the House.
                        No one in Congress can pass it. They face the voters in, what, 20 months?
                        A third of the Senate can't pass it. They're up for reelection too.

Vigilance is a good thing, but so is a little bit of logic.

by NoFortunateSon on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 08:52:34 PM PDT

•  yet (5+ / 0-)

Derisive name calling is good.  As is the taste of shit in your world.  That's fine, to each their own, but don't put any on my plate just because you have secret knowledge the chef will take it back to the kitchen.  The chef still put it on the menu.

Bad things aren't bad! And anyway, there's mitigation!

by Nada Lemming on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:55:15 AM PDT

•  yea, those True Progressives™ (1+ / 0-)
              Nada Lemming

Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion, the Disabled American Veterans  and other veterans organizations all have come out in opposition to chained CPI. Though the plan is largely aimed at reigning in future spending on Social Security benefits, it will extend to military retirement benefits of civilian federal and military retirees, and to disabled vets. It will extend as well to veterans spouses and survivors drawing benefits.
              "an E-7 that retired after 20 years could lose about $100,000 if they lived to 85 in military retired pay with Chained CPI."

Yea, we're certainly True Progressives™ without any right to flip out about our standard of living, that we worked for in service to the country, being gutted, we should just sit in the corner and shut up, right? I mean, you can ignore us now that you got your cheap gas, right? We should just STFU, right?

I've noted before, your disdain in your comments makes you indeed seem like a fortunate son

Don't be a dick, be a Democrat! Oppose CPI cuts! Support Social Security and Veteran Benefits!

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:06:33 AM PDT

•  you uprated (2+ / 0-)
      AnnetteK, davidincleveland

his right wing smear above - the Obummer one.
      just so you know.

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 11:15:48 AM PDT