View Diary: Open thread for night owls: On leaping to conclusions about bombings (189 comments)

•  To all decent people it should not matter (4+ / 0-)

who, so long as the perp is brought to justice.

For those seeking to reinforce their prejudices and validate their conspiracy theories, on the other hand, it's the most important thing of all.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 08:57:02 PM PDT

•  And I cannot wait to see the day. They will be (2+ / 0-)
      DeadHead, JeffW

caught.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 09:43:09 PM PDT

•  I don't understand why "decency" is at issue. (1+ / 0-)
      aitchdee

© grover

by grover on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:52:41 AM PDT

•  Because I don't consider those looking for (0+ / 0-)

a specific profile of perpetrator before the facts are established, or people who live to perpetuate conspiracy theories that only fan flames of paranoia and hatred, to be decent people.

They're part of the problem, not the solution.

Though I will admit there were probably better words than "decent" I could've used to articulate my point. Not a lot of forethought prior to the comment.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:19:34 AM PDT

•  In other words (2+ / 0-)
          grover, aitchdee

Prior to the perpetrator being caught, because it breeds misinformation and might result in groups of people being wrongly suspected and "persecuted." (Muslims, for example)

After the person has been caught, it certainly does matter, though care should be exercised so as to not unfairly pin the actions of one individual on an entire group.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:36:48 AM PDT

•  Ah. (2+ / 0-)
            DeadHead, aitchdee

Ok. Some others are saying "who" really doesn't matter, except that we catch those responsible and justice is done.

Period, end of story.

I don't see how we can possibly believe that especially when we don't even know who it is or what their motivstions may have been.

I'm not being a bleeding-heart liberal who has sympathies for a misguided murdering terrorist. I'm not a FBI profiler-wanna-be (blame the brown guy!) kneejerk reactor either.

I just don't see how we can make any decisions at all right now...

© grover

by grover on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:48:15 AM PDT

•  And... (1+ / 0-)
              grover

We are in complete and total agreement. My poorly worded original comment was an attempt to say the same thing: no decisions without facts, otherwise, witchhunts might result.

I can see how you might have read my comment as the "doesn't matter, period."

Probably because it said everything but the "period" part. ;)

Brain-fried, I am.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:59:26 AM PDT

•  It's late. (2+ / 0-)
                aitchdee, DeadHead

Why are we still up?

© grover

by grover on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:33:04 AM PDT

•  You goonie, grover! ;^) (1+ / 0-)
                  DeadHead

LOL, I was just about to ask you that! I suspect you and I are in the same time zone, and ... (yaaaaawn) it's dang late here.

I'm up because I'm all keyed-up, obsessing on news updates out of Boston. What're you doing? The same?

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:41:14 AM PDT

•  25 hours later, I'm asking myself the same (0+ / 0-)

question.

LOL. Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. Must've fallen asleep. ;)

~ Jerry Garcia